• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia : Busiest Two Platform station

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancededcena

What is the busiest stations with only two platforms in terms of passenger entries and exits?

I have the feeling Chelmsford is the busiest out of them with 8.606 million entries and exits, but if there is anymore or if I'm totally wrong, I would love to hear them!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Farringdon has more, provided you don't include the underground platforms. City Thameslink and Bath Spa are worthy mentions.

Taunton

Established Member
Canary Wharf Jubilee Line. 47 million p.a. on one island platform.

zwk500

Veteran Member
What is the busiest stations with only two platforms in terms of passenger entries and exits?

I have the feeling Chelmsford is the busiest out of them with 8.606 million entries and exits, but if there is anymore or if I'm totally wrong, I would love to hear them!
According to this Spreadsheet: https://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/statistics/usage/estimates-of-station-usage

I'm pretty sure the numbers are for National Rail only, with tube being counted separately, so it appears Canada Water had 21.7 million National Rail entries and exits in 2019-20, for 2 mainline platforms. Farringdon, West Ham and Moorgate all outranked Chelmsford, all 2 mainline platforms (I think) but all have additional platforms for tube.

lancededcena

Ah, I didn't account the stations in London, I also was thinking more in the lines of mainline platforms, not LU\DLR or any other platforms.

Excluding stations in London, we could say Chelmsford is the busiest I think.

quantinghome

Established Member
We could expand this:

What's the busiest station with just one platform?

What's the least busy station with 4/5/6 platforms?

Taunton

Established Member
Chafford Hundred, the station for Lakeside Shopping Centre, must be up there.

For a one-platform terminus, Windsor Central. Even when the shuttle to Slough is 3-car instead of 2-car, it still gets standing passengers

d9009alycidon

We could expand this:

What's the least busy station with 4/5/6 platforms?

Perth must be a good shout for the last one
Liverpool Wirral Line Moorfields/Central/Lime Street Low Level for the single platform stations?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Perth must be a good shout for the last one
Liverpool Wirral Line Moorfields/Central/Lime Street Low Level for the single platform stations?

Cheddington has 4 and only 84,132 (2018-19). Perth is 1.112 million.

I'm not sure the Liverpool loop stations count as separate?

Dore and Totley has one platform and 0.199 million in 2018-19?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Chafford Hundred, the station for Lakeside Shopping Centre, must be up there.

For a one-platform terminus, Windsor Central. Even when the shuttle to Slough is 3-car instead of 2-car, it still gets standing passengers
St Ives is a different story in the summer

d9009alycidon

I suspect that Glasgow Central and Queen Street Low-Level stations must be quite high on the list.....as well as possibly Partick?

Partick came right at the top of my list when I saw the thread, but the OP qualifies by saying "in terms of passenger entries and exits" and while a lot of trains pass through the station I don't think there are a massive amount of passengers entering/exiting the station.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I suspect that Glasgow Central and Queen Street Low-Level stations must be quite high on the list.....as well as possibly Partick?
Are the low level stations recorded separately to their main stations by ORR? If not how could we know?

Peter0124

Established Member
St Pancras Thameslink Platforms must be quite high too if we count low levels. As for least busiest: Dalmuir could be a shout.

plugwash

Established Member
Farringdon, West Ham and Moorgate all outranked Chelmsford, all 2 mainline platforms (I think)
Farringdon also has crossrail platforms which when they open will arguablly be "mainline".

steamybrian

Established Member
2 platform station-

City Thameslink which in 2019/20 had over 8 million entrances/exits

Leisurefirst

According to this Spreadsheet: https://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/statistics/usage/estimates-of-station-usage

I'm pretty sure the numbers are for National Rail only, with tube being counted separately, so it appears Canada Water had 21.7 million National Rail entries and exits in 2019-20, for 2 mainline platforms. Farringdon, West Ham and Moorgate all outranked Chelmsford, all 2 mainline platforms (I think) but all have additional platforms for tube.
How would they know which exits from Canada Water were from LU journeys or NR journeys as they only share one gateline?
Does the system know the starting point and split the data accordingly or is it totally mixed?

gg1

Established Member
Cheddington has 4 and only 84,132

Barnetby beats that, 4 platforms 66,360 passengers in 2019/20

For single platform stations, not the winner but an honourable mention to Redditch with just over 1 million passengers per year.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
How would they know which exits from Canada Water were from LU journeys or NR journeys as they only share one gateline?
Does the system know the starting point and split the data accordingly or is it totally mixed?
The granularity of Oyster/contactless data makes it easy to infer the route (and hence NR/LU mode) on a significant percentage of journeys. I am sure that the data is incorporated into the ORR statistics in the same way that paper ticket sales are collated to calculate estimated figures for interchanges at each station.

Leisurefirst

The granularity of Oyster/contactless data makes it easy to infer the route (and hence NR/LU mode) on a significant percentage of journeys. I am sure that the data is incorporated into the ORR statistics in the same way that paper ticket sales are collated to calculate estimated figures for interchanges at each station.

Status
Not open for further replies.