• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Cheadle Junction - where is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMeS

For Xmas, I was given "Bradshaw's Guide - West Coast Main Line - Manchester to Glasgow" published by Amberley, and on p27 under the "Cheadle" heading, there is a reference to "junction with the line to Macclesfield, Congleton...". Having grown up in Cheadle, this reference to a rail junction threw me - the reference should have been to "Cheadle Hulme", two miles away, but then the hotel listed would have been wrong. The "White Hart" as listed is in Cheadle, next to Cheadle Parish Church.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hatter76

For Xmas, I was given "Bradshaw's Guide - West Coast Main Line - Manchester to Glasgow" published by Amberley, and on p27 under the "Cheadle" heading, there is a reference to "junction with the line to Macclesfield, Congleton...". Having grown up in Cheadle, this reference to a rail junction threw me - the reference should have been to "Cheadle Hulme", two miles away, but then the hotel listed would have been wrong. The "White Hart" as listed is in Cheadle, next to Cheadle Parish Church.
There are several Cheadles.
The Cheadle Junction I knew was on the CLC between Northenden and Hazel Grove Higher/ Georges Road Stockport. I think your West Coast book is refering to a different Cheadle.

JohnB57

2569955B-023A-4BE6-B7B1-A67903C3D865.jpeg 780B9F3B-CB91-47E1-9001-0EC2F47363D8.jpeg
The top image is taken from http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/cheadle_north/ and I think verifies hatter76’s location for the junction.

The location still has remaining sections of the lines mentioned including the chord or connecting spur, although the lines to the north and east of the junction have gone. The lower image is a snip from Streetview showing the area today. Cheadle Junction was at the north end of the remaining curve.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The current LNW(N) Sectional Appendix still shows the location of Cheadle Junction near the river Mersey, where the mileage changes from Midland (181m71c from St Pancras) to CLC (35m 64c from Liverpool Central).
There was also a Cheadle Village Jn on the LNWR, where the Edgeley Jn-Northenden line had a trailing junction with a curve from the Davenport line, sailing over the WCML.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
This colour slide credited to Mr. JW Sutherland shows Cheadle Junction in the mid 1960s. The signalbox visible to the far left of the shot was named Cheadle Junction, the Stanier 8F is heading along the former CLC route in the direction of Stockport Tiviot Dale Station and is about to pass under the former MR Line to Manchester Central. The track trailing in from the left is the Liverpool Curve which linked the CLC to the Midland Line at Cheadle Heath and is the only remaining piece of infrastructure in use at this location today sadly.

Attachments

• IMG_1631.jpg
    IMG_1631.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.