• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Class of train that has stopped at the most stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

racklam

Apologies if this has been covered - had a look but couldn't find anything.

Which class of passenger train (currently in service) has had scheduled stops at the most stations (either currently or in the past)?

My guess would be the 158.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
The HST must be a contender?

Not a cat in hell's chance of it being HSTs.
It's bound to be a dmu of some sort, think of all those shacks.

Between 150, 156 and 158 I suspect.

Last edited:

D6975

Established Member
The more I think about this, the more I lean towards the 150.
They've been everywhere on the Western to the west of Reading. Down to Pompey and Brighton. All of Wales. They used to work off Norwich, so would have been to most of Anglia. The Derby and Tyseley ones went right across the midlands. Right across the North West and North East. Their weak area is Scotland. They were centred on Edinburgh, so there's a fair bit missing up there. North of Perth/Arbroath, West Highland and GSW have never seen them as far as I know. Even so I think this is enough to beat the 156 which picks up the rest of Scotland but loses Devon and Cornwall, West Wales and the Valleys.

Last edited:

greaterwest

Established Member
455s or 377s possibly?

Perhaps, I was thinking about the 350s but I don't think they alone would be high enough.

Maybe if you included their DC brothers, the 450s, which would give you most of LM's network and the TPE network, plus SWT's but I'm not sure.

greaterwest

Established Member
I'd go 158 as well. They're all over the place.

Thinking about D9675's post, I think he's probably right.

158s have most likely never seen the Welsh Valleys, or most of the Devon/Cornwall branch lines.

150s seem to have been almost everywhere 158s have been, and more.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member

158s have most likely never seen the Welsh Valleys, or most of the Devon/Cornwall branch lines.
Devon/Cornwall probably balance off against the north & west of Scotland.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
As the question doesn't specify the most DIFFERENT stations if TFL is included - I would have thought Picadilly line stock would be no.1

On NR any of the early build Networkers, though the ex LT stock on the Isle of Wight must be a contender.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

158s have definitely run to Barnstaple and to Exmouth, wouldn't surprise me if they've worked Branches further West too.

Mikey C

Established Member
As the question doesn't specify the most DIFFERENT stations if TFL is included - I would have thought Picadilly line stock would be no.1

On NR any of the early build Networkers, though the ex LT stock on the Isle of Wight must be a contender.

If we're talking Underground trains, then the 1959 stock saw service on the Piccadilly, Central (before the 1962 stock arrived) Bakerloo and Northern lines, while the 1938 was on all those lines plus the East London line AND the Isle of Wight!

In terms of NR EMUs, then the 319s must be high up, with their use by TL, Southern, LM and Northern.

pemma

Veteran Member
In terms of NR EMUs, then the 319s must be high up, with their use by TL, Southern, LM and Northern.

Northern call at 526 stations, 150s have called at the majority of those stations at some point, I think 319s have called at 33 of those stations.

150s have also called at stations which have converted to Metrolink such as Sale, Warwick Road and all former BR stations on the Oldham Metrolink route.

Last edited by a moderator:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

158s have had booked working in the past on the Cardiff Valleys to Rhymney, Coryton, Barry Island Radyr and Penarth. They currently have diagrammed work to Ebbw Vale and Maesteg.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
158s have definitely run to Barnstaple and to Exmouth, wouldn't surprise me if they've worked Branches further West too.

The only Cornish Branch that I know them having worked is the Falmouth Branch. Not cleared for the others, anyway.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
158s have had booked working in the past on the Cardiff Valleys to Rhymney, Coryton, Barry Island and Penarth. They currently have diagrammed work to Ebbw Vale and Maesteg.

158s also covered a lot of RRNW routes before Northern did a fleet reorganisation. I think there were clearance issues preventing them from being used on Conwy Valley, Borderlands and Buxton though.

backontrack

Established Member
I think it's quite close.

158s work the Cambrian Coast, Wick and Kyle lines, the North Wales Coast, the Settle and Carlisle, Leeds to Norwich, Nottingham to Skegness, Sheffield to Bridlington, Liverpool to Norwich, Edinburgh to Aberdeen/Inverness, the Borders line, a few jaunts in Devon, the Calder Valley line, Cardiff to Brighton, Malvern to Weymouth, and the Scottish central belt. They have also done the WCML and Birmingham-Swindon for Virgin; they've been on numerous Alphaline jaunts to Waterloo; they once operated Rochdale-Euston services for FNW and used to run on the TransPennine Express line. And they also run in Thailand, though I doubt that counts.

The 150s, however, have been almost everywhere; the Settle and Carlisle, the HoWL, the Cumbrian Coast, pretty much the entire West Country, large parts of the West Midlands, a lot of Lancashire and quite a few lines in Yorkshire. They don't push as far into Scotland, however.

The 156s have operated in Scotland and large parts of Northern England, but not much else. The 153s are mainly limited to the North, the Valleys the Midlands (East and West) and East Anglia; again these units don't push into Scotland.

I would say that the 158s serve the most stations today, but the 150s have served more different stations than the 158s since the latter's introduction in 1989.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I think it's quite close.

158s work the Cambrian Coast, Wick and Kyle lines, the North Wales Coast, the Settle and Carlisle, Leeds to Norwich, Nottingham to Skegness, Sheffield to Bridlington, Liverpool to Norwich, Edinburgh to Aberdeen/Inverness, the Borders line, a few jaunts in Devon, the Calder Valley line, Cardiff to Brighton, Malvern to Weymouth, and the Scottish central belt. They have also done the WCML and Birmingham-Swindon for Virgin; they've been on numerous Alphaline jaunts to Waterloo; they once operated Rochdale-Euston services for FNW and used to run on the TransPennine Express line. And they also run in Thailand, though I doubt that counts.

The 150s, however, have been almost everywhere; the Settle and Carlisle, the HoWL, the Cumbrian Coast, pretty much the entire West Country, large parts of the West Midlands, a lot of Lancashire and quite a few lines in Yorkshire. They don't push as far into Scotland, however.

The 156s have operated in Scotland and large parts of Northern England, but not much else. The 153s are mainly limited to the North, the Valleys the Midlands (East and West) and East Anglia; again these units don't push into Scotland.

I would say that the 158s serve the most stations today, but the 150s have served more different stations than the 158s since the latter's introduction in 1989.

158s also work Cardiff to Portsmouth, Milford Haven to Manchester Picc, Maesteg, Fishguard Hbr and Bristol to Exeter at weekends. Also Waterloo and Exeter, Lymington and Salisbury to Southampton.
153s work extensively in the West of England, Heart of Wales Line to Crewe.
Valleys booked only between Coryton and Radyr and Ebbw Vale. Bristol to Weymouth, Westbury to Swindon and Bristol to Gloucester. Probably others I've missed.

greaterwest

Established Member
158s also work Cardiff to Portsmouth, Milford Haven to Manchester Picc, Maesteg, Fishguard Hbr and Bristol to Exeter at weekends. Also Waterloo and Exeter, Lymington and Salisbury to Southampton.
153s work extensively in the West of England, Heart of Wales Line to Crewe.
Valleys booked only between Coryton and Radyr and Ebbw Vale. Bristol to Weymouth, Westbury to Swindon and Bristol to Gloucester. Probably others I've missed.

I don't know of any booked runs on this route except for GWR diversions when Bath - Bristol is closed.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I don't know of any booked runs on this route except for GWR diversions when Bath - Bristol is closed.

If for 158s, then there is a couple booked workings for a 158 between Westbury & Swindon, mainly the SWT hire-in unit goes that way before forming Cheltenham Services. 153s use that route everyday on the Transwilts services

Guess it depends if you count 153 & 155 as the same thing or not, but as 155 those same vehicles also worked further in to the South East. They certainly had a spell on Oxford - Hereford (not sure if any of those particular trains also started at Didcot), as well as Westbury - Pompey/Brighton & possibly other routes not covered by 153.

158s also had a turn on Paddington - Cardiff and Pompey - Manchester via Guildford, although long distance these routes probably do not add up to many extra stations served.

greaterwest

Established Member
There's one booked to shuttle between Westbury and Swindon all day worked by a 153

I meant 158s, my bad. I know it's usually a 153 during the day (having used the service myself a few times!)
If for 158s, then there is a couple booked workings for a 158 between Westbury & Swindon, mainly the SWT hire-in unit goes that way before forming Cheltenham Services. 153s use that route everyday on the Transwilts services

Ah, it may be one extra trains booked as a 158 (Cheltenham to So'ton maybe?)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I meant 158s, my bad. I know it's usually a 153 during the day (having used the service myself a few times!)

Ah, it may be one extra trains booked as a 158 (Cheltenham to So'ton maybe?)

Yes. The SWT 158 in each direction, out in the morning and returning 2O00 17 40 Cheltenham to Southampton in the evening. Unless the diagrammed class has changed since May there would now be 2 more worked by a 158:-

2M25 12 20 Westbury to Swindon
2M26 13 19 Swindon to Westbury

These are additional trains from the May Timetable and covered by formerly lay over time at Westbury

delt1c

Established Member
Must be the 150's as they were used on long distance services when built pending delivery of 156 and 158's. Then you also have the purpose built departmental variant which has covered nearly all the national rail network.

najaB

Veteran Member
Then you also have the purpose built departmental variant which has covered nearly all the national rail network.
But that wouldn't be a Class 150 as departmental units get different numbers, 950 I think in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.