• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Class of train that has stopped at the most stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member
Are we missing the obvious, LOCOs! Most likely something English Electric powered, 31s or 37s I'd say, due to national coverage and regular use on passenger trains. They've also got something over 150s, having stopped at many closed stations that no longer exist, either because the station's closed, or the line has closed, plus quite a few 'pres' stations no 15x is likely to visit.

If we're talking unit tough, I'd say 150s, even the NR one must have got a few good ticks on lines 150s aren't usually seen on!

delt1c

Established Member
But that wouldn't be a Class 150 as departmental units get different numbers, 950 I think in this case.
many classes have carried differnt numbers but still the same design. 37, 47 recent examples

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Does a Mk 1 carriage count as a class of train ? Either way, there can be few stations in Great Britain outside of the Isle of Wight that haven't seen one.

Harbornite

Established Member
Does a Mk 1 carriage count as a class of train ? Either way, there can be few stations in Great Britain outside of the Isle of Wight that haven't seen one.

Indeed, they have been used more extensively than any other coaches, when you consider that the pre-grouping coach designs would have been limited to certain areas.

delt1c

Established Member
Indeed, they have been used more extensively than any other coaches, when you consider that the pre-grouping coach designs would have been limited to certain areas.

then the southern CCT's might be a candidate as BR used them throughout the network and i believe one was on the IOW as an internal user vehicle

krus_aragon

Established Member
Thinking of the 150 vs 158 issue on the Wales scale:

150s have worked or do work every line (and thus every station) in Wales. Other than the Cambrian Lines (due to ERTMS) they can and do work anywhere to this day.

While the 158s now have a monopoly west of Shrewsbury, they are not permitted to work north of Radyr on the Valley Lines, which is only cleared for 20m stock if I recall correctly.

On the loco front, what about the class 08? :D

themiller

I think it's quite close.

158s work the Cambrian Coast, Wick and Kyle lines, the North Wales Coast, the Settle and Carlisle, Leeds to Norwich, Nottingham to Skegness, Sheffield to Bridlington, Liverpool to Norwich, Edinburgh to Aberdeen/Inverness, the Borders line, a few jaunts in Devon, the Calder Valley line, Cardiff to Brighton, Malvern to Weymouth, and the Scottish central belt. They have also done the WCML and Birmingham-Swindon for Virgin; they've been on numerous Alphaline jaunts to Waterloo; they once operated Rochdale-Euston services for FNW and used to run on the TransPennine Express line. And they also run in Thailand, though I doubt that counts.

The 150s, however, have been almost everywhere; the Settle and Carlisle, the HoWL, the Cumbrian Coast, pretty much the entire West Country, large parts of the West Midlands, a lot of Lancashire and quite a few lines in Yorkshire. They don't push as far into Scotland, however.

The 156s have operated in Scotland and large parts of Northern England, but not much else. The 153s are mainly limited to the North, the Valleys the Midlands (East and West) and East Anglia; again these units don't push into Scotland.

I would say that the 158s serve the most stations today, but the 150s have served more different stations than the 158s since the latter's introduction in 1989.
150s are not allowed on the northern section of the Cumbrian Coast line because of their width so I don't believe that they've ventured north of Millom.

D6975

Established Member
Thinking of the 150 vs 158 issue on the Wales scale:

While the 158s now have a monopoly west of Shrewsbury, they are not permitted to work north of Radyr on the Valley Lines, which is only cleared for 20m stock if I recall correctly.

see post #18
Coming from someone who lives in Caerphilly, I wouldn't doubt its accuracy.

Last edited:

delt1c

Established Member
The infamous BR pork pie from the 60's and 70's, was in a class of its own and widely traveled:shock:

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The original question was - scheduled stop. I think as others have said it's between a 150 and a 158 unless you can count the BR mk1 which must have stopped at so many closed stations in the 50s and 60s on local trains and inter regionals, would mk1s also encompass a lot of slam door emus and their routes?

HSTfan!!!

Established Member

My only recollection of 158's on the valleys is having one on a direct service from Barry Island to Newport one summers evening, about 10-12 years ago I would guess.

Polarbear

Established Member
For current day traction, I would say the 150 family have been to most places on the network. One of the 3 car prototypes went to Oban I seem to recall.

Don't rule out 156's either. When the 155's were temporarily withdrawn due to door issues, the then fairly new 156's were drafted in as a short term cover and ended up in Devon & Cornwall-two counties that haven't seen a 156 for some decades!

For heritage traction, I would plump for the 101's simply due to the sheer number of the things & the fact they could (and did) go anywhere. And yes, at least one made it to Oban too!

delt1c

Established Member
For current day traction, I would say the 150 family have been to most places on the network. One of the 3 car prototypes went to Oban I seem to recall.

Don't rule out 156's either. When the 155's were temporarily withdrawn due to door issues, the then fairly new 156's were drafted in as a short term cover and ended up in Devon & Cornwall-two counties that haven't seen a 156 for some decades!

For heritage traction, I would plump for the 101's simply due to the sheer number of the things & the fact they could (and did) go anywhere. And yes, at least one made it to Oban too

There was a regular diagram in the mid 1970's which used a 3 car DMU (usually a 101) , this was the summer only 08.35 departure from Queen St. Was fortunate to use this when the prototype 101 refurbished unit ( white ghost) was on it

Harbornite

Established Member
For heritage traction, I would plump for the 101's simply due to the sheer number of the things & the fact they could (and did) go anywhere. And yes, at least one made it to Oban too

Surely mark 1's have covered more stations, if we can count them. Think about it, they were used by all regions of BR at one stage.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Thing is, if you're going to say 'Mark 1' then I'm going to say 'Sprinter'.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Mk 1's will have covered a lot of routes that were no longer with us by the time the sprinters came along.

Also, I think there's probably a fair bit of the South Eastern and Central divisions of the Southern Region that haven't seen a Sprinter.

najaB

Veteran Member
Mk 1's will have covered a lot of routes that were no longer with us by the time the sprinters came along.

Also, I think there's probably a fair bit of the South Eastern and Central divisions of the Southern Region that haven't seen a Sprinter.
The point I was trying to make is that Mark 1 refers to a family of vehicles, some of which will never have visited anywhere outside their 'local' areas.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The point I was trying to make is that Mark 1 refers to a family of vehicles, some of which will never have visited anywhere outside their 'local' areas.

Nevertheless, I would have thought that some of the standard types would have got everywhere, for example a standard class corridor compartment carriage. These even made it to the South Eastern before electrification brought its specially built Mk1 based EMU's.

Polarbear

Established Member

Agreed. Time was that you had to go around the country to see certain loco's and other rolling stock, as much of it didn't stray out of the base region. As a teenager, I had immense fun touring around the Uk trying to see certain elusive loco's & stock. Things only started to change in the 1980's when BR was told it had to use its resources more efficiently, which led to the eventual run down of the Mk1 fleet.

physics34

Established Member
No doubt it's Class 158s.

Since when has a mk1 coach been a class of train.

Status
Not open for further replies.