• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Closest stations to each other as the crow flies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Not sure if this has been discussed already but just wondered what the two closest stations to each other are?

I'd have to go with three options: Heath High Level and Heath Low Level; Ty Glas and Birchgrove and Whyteleafe and Upper Warlingham.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
The two St Budeaux stations are very close (approximately 100m, depending on exactly where you measure between). If you take the closest parts of the platforms you could argue as little as 25m or so.

Stuwhu

I cant remember the names but the two near Plymouth that are opposite each other on the same street

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Catford & Catford Bridge must be very close.

Edit: 110m

catford.PNG

thenorthern

Established Member
West Hampstead and West Hampstead Thameslink and West Hampstead Underground?

Although a single station since 1924 Tamworth High Level and Tamworth Low Level were effectively two separate station until then I think.

Veteran Member
Battersea Pk and Queenstown Rd.
Culrain and Invershin (1/4mile in the timetable - though actually more)

SeanG

Wasn't Wrexham general previously two separate stations?

Edit: yes it was, according to Wikipedia

Wrexham Exchange, which is now platform 4 of Wrexham General, was originally a separate railway station opened in May 1866 for the Wrexham, Mold and Connah's Quay Railway (WMCQR). By the time that WMCQR had been bought by the Great Central Railway, the line was a through station connecting to the Cambrian Railways Wrexham Central Railway Station. The station changed hands again in 1921 during the Grouping, to the London and North Eastern Railway, as one of their few stations in Wales. Wrexham Exchange was named as such from 18 June 1951, with Wrexham General applying to all platforms from 1 June 1981.[3] A platform, which is now used as a staff car park, was put out of use to passengers from August 1973.

Interesting to see an LNER station in Wales, I didn't know that such a thing existed

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Wasn't Wrexham general previously two separate stations?

Edit: yes it was, according to Wikipedia

Interesting to see an LNER station in Wales, I didn't know that such a thing existed

The Borderlines route used to be LNER

adc82140

Established Member
North Camp and Ash Vale are close enough to be considered an interchange.

AndyPJG

Dorking and Dorking Deepdene - about 220m.

Willesden (edit: Junction) High and Low Levels? - if they count as separate.

Last edited:

gazr

Meridian Water and Angel Road (didn't say the station had to be open :) )

simonw

Pilning high level and pilning low level, if we allowed closed stations

gg1

Established Member
If we're allowing closed station, Manchester Victoria and Manchester Exchange win with 0.0m, at the point where Victoria platform 11 turned into Exchange platform 3.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Entrance to entrance, the two stations in St Budeaux are the closest two stations on the network. They are literally opposite each other.Untitled.png

alangla

Surely they’re part of the same station?

I’d have thought so. Around that area Queen Street and Argyle Street are pretty close and Charing Cross and Anderston are basically opposite ends of Newton Street. Coatbridge Central and Sunnyside are also fairly close.

Essan

Surely they’re part of the same station?

There is no direct connection. You have to leave Queen St station (high level) and go onto the street to then enter Queen St Low Level.

Edit: no, tell a lie, according to wikipedia:

"They are connected by staircases at either end of the low-level platforms, and by lifts accessible from Platform 7 on the high level."

Never noticed that access though

SteveM70

Established Member
There is no direct connection. You have to leave Queen St station (high level) and go onto the street to then enter Queen St Low Level.

Edit: no, tell a lie, according to wikipedia:

"They are connected by staircases at either end of the low-level platforms, and by lifts accessible from Platform 7 on the high level."

Never noticed that access though

The fact that the platforms are numbered as a single station is the key thing for me

Status
Not open for further replies.