• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Consecutive LU stations used as termini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsebee

On the Northern Line, Mill Hill East, Finchley Central and East Finchley are consecutive stops, all of which act as a terminus for trains daily ( well during Mon-Fri anyway). Is there anywhere else on the tube network with three (or more)consecutive termini.
Also some trains run Finchley Central - East Finchley only, so a one stop working. Same for Finchley Central- Mill Hill East. Where else are there regular one stop only journeys? Chesham- Chalont I presume is one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Chesham trains all run through to London now, AFAIK. The obvious example is Waterloo to Bank.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Chesham trains all run through to London now, AFAIK. The obvious example is Waterloo to Bank.

Chalford & Latimer cannot be a terminus any more, the S8s are too long for the bay platform (hence why half length A stock sets were used)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hatton Cross, Heathrow Terminal 1,2,3 and Heathrow Terminal 5 all handle reserving trains.

On the District line either West Kensington or Olympia, then Earls Court and High Street Kensington.

Last edited:

bionic

Waterloo, Lambeth North and Elephant & Castle are all places where Bakerloo trains can terminate. I don't think there are any booked Lambeth reversers though, just in times of disruption.

Moorgate, Liverpool Street, Aldgate East and Whitechapel all have reversing facilities on the H&C, while you could carry on from Liverpool Street round the Circle to include Aldgate and Tower Hill.

Further west on the Circle there's South Kensington, Gloucester Road and High Street Kensington in a row. But you can beat that going along the District with South Ken, Gloucester Road, Earl's Court and West Ken (although Gloucester Road's reversing facilities are only for Circle line trains so the purists may not allow it).

It's possible they've ripped some of these crossovers up in the last few years. I'm not fully up to date with the SSR upgrade works.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Acton Town, Ealing Common and Ealing Broadway spring to mind too.
I had a look at the timetable before making my post earlier. I don’t think any trains are timetabled to terminate at Ealing Common, District line trains into the depot seem to run empty from Ealing Bdy.

Last edited:

sharpley

Acton Town, Ealing Common and Ealing Broadway spring to mind too.
As the Piccadilly Line has been known to go to Ealing Broadway can we add Barons Court and Hammersmith to that as well? Obviously needs to non-stop at Turnham Green (or Ravenscourt Park & Stamford Brook for that matter). Yep, i'm taking a few liberties there but its a possible route.

bionic

I had a look at the timetable before making my post earlier. I don’t think any trains are timetabled to terminate at Ealing Common, District like trains into the depot seem to run empty from Ealing Bdy.

Yeah to be honest I was clutching at straws with most of these, listing places with turn back/terminating facilities rather than places trains are actually booked to terminate on a daily basis!

Waterloo has no pointwork whatsoever but Bakerloo trains terminate here to run empty into London Road. There are no semi-automatic signals in the station area (although there are X signals for the floodgates). The pointwork used to get into the depot is the Lambeth North stuff. I wonder is there any other regularly used terminating station on the LU network with no pointwork or semi-automatic signalling immediately in the vicinity of the station?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wonder is there any other regularly used terminating station on the LU network with no pointwork or semi-automatic signalling immediately in the vicinity of the station?
Ruislip? Although the station starter is an X signal for the start of the MU signals for Ruislip IMR siding it is technically an automatic signal. Although not sure it would class as regular use, maybe someone could check the WTT, I don’t know if it gets a move by the Met line, the daily Piccadilly line train that uses it runs empty from South Harrow so doesn’t really terminate at Ruislip, although it used to have regular booked Piccadilly line reversers in the morning peak, but about five years or so ago these were extended to Uxbridge.

Osterley again, nothing booked to terminate there (for some reason the stablers run empty from the Airport), but it is possible to terminate and then go into the depot from the west end.

Last edited:

rebmcr

Established Member
DLR trains from Beckton terminate at Canning Town, and from Stratford at Canary Wharf, which makes Stratford-West Ham-Canning Town-North Greenwich-Canary Wharf a quintuple.

Does the Overground ever terminate at Canada Water? We might have a sextuple!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Mansion House and Tower Hill used to have regular terminators on the District, from the west. If you included the Circle, then you could add Aldgate, albeit from a different direction!

bionic

Mansion House and Tower Hill used to have regular terminators on the District, from the west. If you included the Circle, then you could add Aldgate, albeit from a different direction!

Cannon Street and Monument weren't terminating stations though!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
West Ham and Stratford on the Jubilee?
Yes, this is true, but given that most depots you can get in from both ends, this isn’t particularly remarkable. In fact, are any depots that are not at the end of the line (Upminster & Morden) accessible from only one end aside from Northumberland Park and Stonebridge Park which sits off Network Rail infrastructure? [Highgate and White City are technically sidings and not depots].

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hammersmith, until very recently although now deemed as sidings.
That was one reason I didn’t mention it, although another reason is that trains going into it can terminate at Goldhawk Rd and then go into a road there with no platform adjacent before working into the sidings.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
That was one reason I didn’t mention it, although another reason is that trains going into it can terminate at Goldhawk Rd and then go into a road there with no platform adjacent before working into the sidings.

I’d consider it to be “at the end of the line” in the same way as Upminster etc. and thus discounted. 24rd is numbered and signalled (well, was signalled, obviously it’s all CBTC now) in line with the rest of the station area. You can’t go to/from the sidings without circulating via the platforms (or from 24rd to the platforms without going via the sidings - famously I once suggested to someone who asked if the latter was possible without going via the sidings that it was... by running via Edgware Road. )

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’d consider it to be “at the end of the line” in the same way as Upminster etc.
I kind of meant “beyond” the end of the line like Morden and Upminster in that trains going into the depot continue on beyond the station rather than say like Cockfosters where trains go out the way they came in, unless using the Oakwood end.

philthetube

Established Member
Chalford & Latimer cannot be a terminus any more, the S8s are too long for the bay platform (hence why half length A stock sets were used)

There is one on a Sunday night which runs Chesham terminating at Chalfont then Rusty rail move north empty to Amersham.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
There is one on a Sunday night which runs Chesham terminating at Chalfont then Rusty rail move north empty to Amersham.

This terminates in through/southbound platform number 2, and uses the wrong road starter to return to Amersham.

There is no access to/from the bay road via the Main line.

I kind of meant “beyond” the end of the line like Morden and Upminster in that trains going into the depot continue on beyond the station rather than say like Cockfosters where trains go out the way they came in, unless using the Oakwood end.

Fair comment, in that case I agree.

bramling

Veteran Member
Yes, this is true, but given that most depots you can get in from both ends, this isn’t particularly remarkable. In fact, are any depots that are not at the end of the line (Upminster & Morden) accessible from only one end aside from Northumberland Park and Stonebridge Park which sits off Network Rail infrastructure? [Highgate and White City are technically sidings and not depots].

Golders Green is very much single ended, albeit with a shunt neck so trains can conveniently enter from both the north and south. In fact, not only is GG single ended but all trains entering and leaving have to pass over a single section of track.

philthetube

Established Member
East Finchley as well, though it can be argued that they are sidings, also Rickmansworth.

LUYMun

Could Croxley be counted as one? A Metropolitan train could enter northbound via Watford South Curve, reverse towards Rickmansworth via Watford North Curve, proceed to Moor Park over the points from the fast to slow tracks just north of Moor Park.

bionic

Could Croxley be counted as one? A Metropolitan train could enter northbound via Watford South Curve, reverse towards Rickmansworth via Watford North Curve, proceed to Moor Park over the points from the fast to slow tracks just north of Moor Park.

I think you can terminate at Croxley into Watford sidings too.

Dstock7080

Established Member
It is not possible to reverse in Croxley NB platform 1 back towards Rickmansworth or Moor Park

philthetube

Established Member
Possible to terminate at Croxley then head for sidings, never known it happen though,

LU_timetabler

Oakwood and Cockfosters. Trains can terminate at either and run to depot. And in theory Northfields and Boston Manor, since trains can enter or leave Northfields depot from either end. Although not likely to see a train timetabled to run just one stop in passenger service, they are neighbouring termination points. There's a very obvious one on the District, trains exit Ealing Common Depot westbound into service at Ealing Common station, then terminate at Ealing Broadway - that is a regularly scheduled one-stop passenger run. But only westbound, eastbound the train run empty, so as not to block Ealing Common while they check the train is empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.