• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Consecutive Trains to Different Terminating Destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuccir

Established Member
Sat at Newcastle station and I notice that the next 11 trains all terminate at unique destinations (ie no repetitions). Any other examples of this phenomenon? Any that can beat it?

Screenshot shows 9 - then the next two destinations are Hexham and Chathill, before a Kings Cross train which is the next repetition.

--
Screenshot doesn't seem to be attaching - destinations are in order:

Carlisle, Stockton, London, Derby, Glasgow, Nunthorpe, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Stirling, Hexham, Chathill

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
Salford Crescent at 16.45 should equal it:

Stalybridge, Wigan NW, Manch Airport, Blackpool N, Preston, Blackburn, Alderley Edge, Leeds, Southport, Kirkby, Rochdale, Hazel Grove ( then Blackpool spoils it)

Salford Crescent at 16.45 should equal it:

Stalybridge, Wigan NW, Manch Airport, Blackpool N, Preston, Blackburn, Alderley Edge, Leeds, Southport, Kirkby, Rochdale, Hazel Grove ( then Blackpool spoils it)
In fact that’s one more!

Halish Railway

Established Member
Leeds, starting from 10:45 (Tuesday):

London Kings Cross, Manchester Airport, Huddersfield, Sheffield, Carlisle, Hull, Skipton, Blackpool North, Knottingley, Knaresborough, Ilkley, Manchester Piccadilly, Newcastle, Nottingham, Bristol Temple Meads, Manchester Victoria, Bradford Forster Square & Redcar Central (18).

CeeJ

Can't quite beat out Leeds, but St Pancras from 16:30 today:
Brighton
Cambridge
Paris Nord
Leeds
Rainham
St Albans City
Dover Priory
Gatwick Airport
Nottingham
Bedford
Sutton
Luton
Horsham
Peterborough
Corby
(then St Albans City)

The exile

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly would be a good candidate if it weren’t for all those excessive through services to the airport!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Ely manages 9 by my reckoning:
0744 Liverpool Lime Street
0753 Stansted Airport
0800 London Liverpool Street
0802 King's Lynn
0815 Birmingham New Street
0816 Norwich
0825 London King's Cross
0828 Cambridge
0831 Ipswich

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Ely manages 9 by my reckoning:
0744 Liverpool Lime Street
0753 Stansted Airport
0800 London Liverpool Street
0802 King's Lynn
0815 Birmingham New Street
0816 Norwich
0825 London King's Cross
0828 Cambridge
0831 Ipswich
I'm certain some people will get the Liverpool Lime Street train instead of the London Liverpool Street train by mistake or the other way around, In Norwich they are often placed just across from each other too.
-

Do other rail services such as London Underground and Nottingham Trams count on this thread?
Nottingham Midland on the 14th had from 10:16 to Crewe, Leeds, Worksop, Leicester, Grimsby Town, Norwich, Birmingham New Street, Skegness, Liverpool Lime Street, London St Pancras, Newark Castle, Cardiff Central. 12, enough to beat Newcastle Central.

flitwickbeds

My instant thought went to London Waterloo or London Bridge station. However it's not long before you get a repetition, especially at London Bridge with the services going to Charing Cross or Cannon Street!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
My instant thought went to London Waterloo or London Bridge station. However it's not long before you get a repetition, especially at London Bridge with the services going to Charing Cross or Cannon Street!

The trick seems to be locations served by lots of individual hourly services.

Halish Railway

Established Member
And from Cannon Street to Cannon Street!

The trick seems to be locations served by lots of individual hourly services.
This is part of the reason why Leeds comes so high on the list as the combination of two or more hourly services to give a half-hourly or even more frequent service to certain suburban stations is extremely common.

The examples I can think of from Leeds are;
- To Fitzwilliam (Doncaster & Sheffield)
- To Knaresborough (York & Knaresborough)
- To Castleford (Knottingley & Sheffield)
- To Micklefield (York & Hull)
- Various Calder Valley stations (Chester, Manchester Victoria, Wigan North Western, Blackpool North & Halifax)
- To Mirfield (Huddersfield & Wigan North Western)

The exceptions to this rule are found on the NW lines/Shipley triangle/333land, one example being how all the Wharfedale line stations are reached from Leeds by trains terminating at Ilkley.

Last edited:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Birmingham New Street today from 0939:

Birmingham International
Wolverhampton
Redditch
Four Oaks
Nottingham
London Euston
Hereford
Rugeley Trent Valley
Leicester
Northampton
Lichfield Trent Valley
Manchester Piccadilly
Walsall
Shrewsbury
Bromsgrove
Reading
Liverpool Lime Street
Edinburgh

then Wolverhampton crops up again and ruins it! A very respectable 18.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
From Waterloo, starting at 12:03,

Teddington
Guildford via Cobham
Weymouth
Hampton Court
Portsmouth harbour (via Basingstoke)
Basingstoke
Shepperton
Chessington South
Exeter & Bristol (divides at Salisbury, does this count as two destinations?)
Reading
Woking
Weybridge via Addlestone
Alton
Dorking
Strawberry Hill
Windsor
That makes 16 or 17, depending how you count the dividing train).
The next one is another Portsmouth (via Haslemere).

The Teddington and Strawberry Hill services are "rounders", both actually destined for Waterloo. If they are counted as Waterloo you have to discount the Teddington service, reducing the total by one (it actually departs at the same time as the Guildford train)

SouthStand

Boston (UK):

Skegness
Nottingham
Skegness
Nottingham
Skegness
Nottingham
Skegness
Nottingham

etc. etc. :)

stut

Established Member
I'm certain some people will get the Liverpool Lime Street train instead of the London Liverpool Street train by mistake or the other way around, In Norwich they are often placed just across from each other too.

IIRC it's presented as "Lime Street Liverpool" at Ely (and Norwich, for that matter) for this exact reason.

Metrolink

At Cardiff central at 16:13 (Wednesday)

Trehebert

London Paddington

Maesteg

Radyr

Bargoed

Portsmouth Harbour

Ebww Vale Town

Bridgend

Aberdare

Swansea

Penarth

Nottingham

Milford Haven

Barry Island

Rhymeny

Manchester Piccadilly

Merthyr Tydfil

Worcester Foregate St

Carmarthen

Pontypridd

(Barry island again)

that’s twenty and I believe the highest so far…

trebor79

Established Member
Yup. Yesterday morning I saw someone get off a London - Kings Lynn service on platform 3 and wander over to platform 3. In platform 3 was the service to Liverpool Street, with the Liverpool Lime Street service advertised for platform 3B. Saw her looking at the London bound train and start walking as if to get on. I was pretty sure she didn't really want to go back towards Cambridge, so asked if we was looking for the Liverpool train.
She was quite grateful for my nosiness!

DorkingMain

Waterloo has too many services to Portsmouth Harbour (with three different stopping patterns) and Guildford (two different stopping patterns) for it to get near.

cuccir

Established Member
that’s twenty and I believe the highest so far
Fantastic! Commuter periods seem to best for this as they're when the 'odd' extra services that extend on a stop or two, or run short along a route to add extra capacity, run.

Alex365Dash

Let’s have a look at London Victoria at 19:28 on Thursday:

Orpington
Brighton
Epsom Downs
Dartford
Southampton Central and Bognor Regis (on departure, this is one train)
West Croydon
Reigate
Ramsgate
Epsom
Gillingham (Kent)
Bromley South
Littlehampton
Selhurst
East Grinstead
Ore
Ashford International
Dorking
(Orpington)

That’s 17, one more than Waterloo but bit shy of Cardiff’s amount.

Waterloo has too many services to Portsmouth Harbour (with three different stopping patterns)
Whilst Waterloo does have too many Guildford services (and circular services as well), 2tph runs to Portsmouth Harbour as a fast via Guildford and stopper via Eastleigh, 1tph terminates at Portsmouth & Southsea as a stopper, so the stopper via Guildford counts as a separate destination.

snowball

Established Member
Perhaps announcements could begin and end with the city:

"Liverpool Lime Street Liverpool"

or use "in":

"Lime Street in Liverpool".

dk1

Veteran Member
Some of the Norwich guards simply announce it as “Liverpool Lime St that’s Liverpool up North”.

Stampy

There's normally 2 or 3 announcements BEFORE the train leaves Norwich that it is the train to "LIVERPOOL Lime Street and NOT to London Liverpool Street"...

Still doesn't stop the "idiots" who don't listen or look at the on-board displays, getting out of their seat near either Thetford (or March) and DEMAND the train stops as they are on the wrong train....

Status
Not open for further replies.