• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Constituencies with most/least stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
With the General Election approaching, it has made me think of the relationship between constituencies and the railways in this light. As well as numbers, I wonder if there is a particularly critical constituency with regard to the future of railways for example, is it important which party the Crewe/Doncaster/Carstairs MP is or are decisions affecting such stations made out of the local MP's hands?

I think Ross, Skye and Lochaber has 30 stations within it.
Islington North has 6 and that is the smallest constituency apparently.

Can you do any better?

MODS - Wasn't sure if this or General Discussion subforum was most appropriate. Feel free to move.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
Im sure there is plenty of constituencies with no stations. For example Leigh has none, Atherton and Newton-Le-Willows are both a couple of hundred meters outside the borders while neighbouring Makerfield has four (Westhoughton, Bryn, Orrell and Pemberton on the boundary) and rural but large Lancashire West has 11 while similarly sized but more urban Ribble South only has three! Lancaster and Fleetwood only has two, Lancaster and Wennington.

Turn on the Westminster Boundary layer and you can take a gander yourself.

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/opendata/viewer/index.html

Last edited:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Not quite what you were asking for, but I still find it quite surprising that there are only six railway stations in all of Northamptonshire.

IrishDave

I took a little bit of time to crunch the numbers for all 59 Scottish constituencies - hopefully I haven't double-counted any stations... There are 8 constituencies in Scotland with more than 10 stations:

31: Ross, Skye and Lochaber
21: Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross
15: Argyll and Bute
14: Inverclyde
13: Glasgow Central; Glasgow South; West Dunbartonshire
11: North Ayrshire and Arran

There are also 8 constituencies in Scotland with no railway stations, namely:

Aberdeen South; Banff and Buchan; Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk*; Edinburgh North and Leith; Edinburgh South; Midlothian*; Na h-Eileanan an Iar; Orkney and Shetland.

Note that the two starred stations will gain 7 stations between them (3 for Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk, 4 for Midlothian) when the Borders Railway opens in September.

Full list of Scottish constituencies available on request. I have no plans to do the same for England and Wales, but I will point out that Dwyfor Meirionnydd, in West Wales, has 25 stations (everything from Penhelig to Pwllheli).

imagination

What mainland constituencies don't have any (non-heritage/tourist/vanity) railways at all? Louth and Horncastle is one. Banff and Buchan is another. Are there any more?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I took a little bit of time to crunch the numbers for all 59 Scottish constituencies - hopefully I haven't double-counted any stations... There are 8 constituencies in Scotland with more than 10 stations:

31: Ross, Skye and Lochaber
21: Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross
15: Argyll and Bute
14: Inverclyde
13: Glasgow Central; Glasgow South; West Dunbartonshire
11: North Ayrshire and Arran.

Slightly unexpected if you haven't thought about. The top three are all sparsely populated with three lines (and the end of a fourth) between them, but those three have many small halts- the West Highland Line, the Kyle of Localsh Line and the Far North Line. Argyll & Bute also has the end of the North Clyde Line. Note that Argyll & Bute (Scottish parliament) has far less stations!

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Islington North has 6 and that is the smallest constituency apparently.

Can you do any better?

The Oldham borough has one station (Greenfield) and yet Oldham has two parliamentary constituencies, does that leave one of them with no stations at all?

Cornwall North = 0 - Bodmin Parkway is just outside constituency in Cornwall South East. It does include, however, stations on the heritage lines of Bodmin & Wenford Rly. and Launceston Steam Rly.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Richmondshire - 1 at Northallerton? Perhaps 2 if Great Ayton station falls within the boundary?

According to the excellent map WatcherZero linked to above it has four - Northallerton, Great Ayton, Battersby and Kildale. At the western extremity of the constituency the S&C also falls within its reaches, but Garsdale is about three or four miles south of its boundary.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
According to the excellent map WatcherZero linked to above it has four - Northallerton, Great Ayton, Battersby and Kildale. At the western extremity of the constituency the S&C also falls within its reaches, but Garsdale is about three or four miles south of its boundary.

Bloody hell - i lived within that constituency for years and didn't know it extended that far! I asusmed them to be in Redcar & Cleveland or Middlesbrough South & East Cleveland

PS that is a great map - wish i had read the whole thread!

Last edited:

Altnabreac

Established Member
North East England almost certainly has the largest percentage of constituencies with no National Rail station - 6 out of 30, or 20%.

Four have Metro stations but no National Rail:
Tynemouth
North Tyneside
Newcastle upon Tyne North
Washington & Sunderland West

1 has the Weardale railway but no National Rail:
North West Durham

1 has no rail whatsoever:
Houghton & Sunderland South

South Shields is almost National Rail less but a sliver of the constituency reaches as far as Brockley Whins station's northern platform.

telstarbox

Established Member
Tunbridge Wells has 3 (TW, High Brooms, Paddock Wood) which must be low for South East England - although the total usage of these three is more than the total for Ross, Skye and Lochaber.

1 in Sheffield Hallam. 0 in Sheffield Heeley although it has a few Supertram stops.

Also interesting to note how the railway often forms a constituency boundary.

Individual constituency maps available here: http://mapit.mysociety.org/areas/WMC.html

Last edited:

imagination

Every single constituency in Wales has at least one station in it. That's something I wouldn't have expected.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I have got a 0, which i should have got sooner, my family seat of Houghton & Sunderland south.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also interesting to note how the railway often forms a constituency boundary.

I guess because there is no one living there to be impacted. Imagine having a house straddle two constituencies!

Part of the boundary between the two MK constituencies is the WCML just outside MKC

AndyNLondon

Another with none is Oxford East - the station is just over the boundary in Oxford West & Abingdon

thenorthern

Established Member
I don't think Newcastle-under-Lyme has any as Kidsgrove is in Stoke-on-Trent North.

LeeLivery

Established Member
North West Leicestershire (covering Coalville, Ashby-De-La-Zouch and East Midlands Airport) and Warwickshire's Kenilworth and Southam both have zero.

TheJRB

Established Member
The breakdown for the Kent constituencies:

Code:
[B]Constituency		Stn	SqM	Pop	Stn/SqM	Pop/Stn[/B]
Ashford			7	194	115020	0.04	16431.43
Canterbury		8	99	111139	0.08	13892.38
Chatham and Aylesford	5	24	98861	0.21	19772.2
Dartford		7	34	104811	0.21	14973
Dover			8	83	97918	0.10	12239.75
Faversham and Mid Kent	7	150	93478	0.05	13354
Folkestone and Hythe	4	170	113796	0.02	28449