• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Constituencies with most/least stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
(1965 boundaries) Essex works out as follows:

Harwich and North Essex - 10
Rochford and Southend East - 9
Clacton - 6
Maldon - 6
Saffron Walden - 6
Thurrock - 5
Witham - 5
Brentwood & Ongar - 4
Basildon & Billericay - 3
Braintree - 3
Colchester - 3
Harlow - 3
Rayleigh & Wickford - 3
South Basildon & East Thurrock - 3
Southend West - 2
Castle Point - 1
Chelmsford - 1
Epping Forest - 0 (but 8 tube stations)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And (post-1974 boundaries) Oxfordshire like so

Witney - 7
Henley - 5
Banbury - 4
Wantage - 3
Oxford West & Abingdon - 2
Oxford East - 0

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
Perhaps to add to the fun...

How about the most number of constituencies you have to pass through on the most direct route to travel between two single stations within the same constituency...

I'm looking at Dunblane to Tyndrum Upper, both in the Stirling Constituency

Stirling
Falkirk
Glasgow North East Burgh
Glasgow Central Burgh
Glasgow North East Burgh
Glasgow North Burgh
Glasgow North West Burgh
West Dunbartonshire Co
Argyll and Bute Co
Stirling

Altnabreac

Established Member
Perhaps to add to the fun...

How about the most number of constituencies you have to pass through on the most direct route to travel between two single stations within the same constituency...

I'm looking at Dunblane to Tyndrum Upper, both in the Stirling Constituency

Stirling
Falkirk
Glasgow North East Burgh
Glasgow Central Burgh
Glasgow North East Burgh
Glasgow North Burgh
Glasgow North West Burgh
West Dunbartonshire Co
Argyll and Bute Co
Stirling

St Albans Abbey to St Albans

St Albans
Watford
South West Hertfordshire
Ruislip Northwood & Pinner
Harrow East
Brent North
Brent Central
Ealing Central & Acton
Hammersmith
Brent Central (2)
Hampstead & Kilburn
Finchley & Golders Green
Hendon
Hertsmere
St Albans (2)

And that's going via Willesden Junction and West Hampstead Thameslink. If you took a fast train to Euston you'd have to add on Holborn & St Pancras as well.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Burscough Junction to Burscough Bridge going via Wigan and Preston 7, going via Wigan (way NRE sends you 1hr20 minutes and 3 changes) and if say the line one of the lines was blocked then via Liverpool 13 or 14! (4 changes 3 hours approx)

Last edited:

Altnabreac

Established Member
How about most times leaving and re-entering the same constituency on a journey between two stations in a single constituency:

Marlow to Beaconsfield

Beaconsfield (1) (Marlow, Bourne End)
Maidenhead
Beaconsfield (2) (Taplow)
Slough
Beaconsfield (3) (Iver)
Hayes & Harlington
Ealing & Southall
Ealing North
Uxbridge & South Ruislip
Ruislip, Northwood & Pinner
Beaconsfield (4) (Denham, Denham Golf Club, Gerrards Cross)
Chesham & Amersham
Beaconsfield (5) (Beaconsfield)

backontrack

Established Member
In regards to the Cumbrian Coast Line, Workington has 5, whereas Copeland has 14. Barrow & Furness has 7, Westmorland & Lonsdale 4, Morecambe & Lunesdale 1, Carlisle 2 and Penrith & The Border 1.

However, including all stations, Westmorland & Lonsdale has 11, Morecambe & Lunesdale 4, Carlisle 3 and Penrith & The Border 7.

Last edited:

In Shropshire:

Ludlow (7): Church Stretton; Craven Arms; Ludlow; Broome; Hopton Hesth; Bucknell; Knighton (Station in Shropshire but town in Powys)

Telford (2): Oakengates; Telford Central

Wrekin (4): Wellington; Shifnal; Cosford; Albrighton

Shrewsbury (1): Shrewsbury

North Shropshire (5): Whitchurch; Prees; Wem; Yorton; Gobowen

alb1

I would guess one of the Swindon constituencies is another 0 (probably North?). Swindon has 2 constituencies and only 1 station.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Having just checked on a map I'm not actually sure which constituency the station is considered to be in. The divide between the two follows the railway, so it's arguable half the station is in each!

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Liverpool West Derby (Lab, Stephen Twigg) had no stations until boundary changes in 2010, since when it has one - Broad Green.

Par

The Oldham borough has one station (Greenfield) and yet Oldham has two parliamentary constituencies, does that leave one of them with no stations at all?

I think it's an ultra-close call whether Mills Hill is in the Oldham West constituency or neighbouring Heywood and Middleton, it's literally on the border.

Greenfield is Oldham East of course.

Bordering Oldham East is Stalybridge and Hyde with its 9 stations!

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Kingswood and neighbouring Bristol East have no "real" railway stations in them at all, which is rather surprising given they are both urban areas. Kingswood does however have two stations on the preserved Avon Valley Railway. In fact, Kingswood does not have any Network Rail lines pass through the constituency at all; the GWML just skirts it by a few metres in the Keynsham and Hanham areas.

thenorthern

Established Member
Yet Longbridge Heyes is!

I worked in Newcastle for over twenty years

I am sure the D-Link road is the border and Longbridge Hays is in Stoke-on-Trent, I remember when I was getting the train to Longport regularly and getting the bus up to Burslem. I had a Staffordshire County Council issued bus pass which could be used at any time of the day in the Staffs CC area and only off-peak in the rest of the country. What that meant in simple terms I had to pay to get the bus from Longport in the morning but if I walked over the D-Link Road I didn't have to pay for the same bus as I was in the Staffs CC area.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Generally when a dividing line runs between two constituencies and a station is on it ive counted that station for both.

Railway lines alongside major roads, rivers, etc... are often used for constituency boundaries as they are a natural barrier which is visible on the ground. You don't have to keep checking a map and pacing out the distance.

thenorthern

Established Member
Because its still part of the United Kingdom Fermanagh and South Tyrone, South Down, West Tyrone, Mid Ulster, and Strangford (I think) are some of the constituencies in Northern Ireland without a railway station.

Also if Nigel Farage got his way Bermuda, The Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, St Helena, Baldwick of Jersey e.c.t would be added to the list but that's a different story.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Around me, there's a few weird ones probably in part due to Gerrymandering!

Huddersfield has 3 (Huddersfield, Berry Brow, and Deighton), with the neighbouring constituencies of Colne Valley and Dewsbury having 5 (Lockwood, Slaithwaite, Marsden, Honley, and Brockholes) and 6* (Dewsbury, Ravensthorpe, Mirfield and oddly Stocksmoor, Shepley, and Denby Dale) respectively. My current constituency and the last that makes up Kirklees, Batley and Spen, has just Batley.

*=if heritage/tourist railways are included, Dewsbury gains Shelley, Skelmanthorpe, Cuckoo's Nest, and Clayton West of the KLR.

317 forever

Established Member
I wonder whether any General Election has been notable for most seats changing hands having been "high station" or "low station" constituencies!

Status
Not open for further replies.