• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Current Outstations which were full depots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stagecoach Midlands depot at Stratford upon Avon springs to mind. Although it no longer has a fixed allocation, the open top Tridents only ever return to Leamington for maintenance as far as I know

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Exmouth was a depo, now another outstation of Exeter.
That wasn't the same location though? They had the depot by the station but a lack of suitable sites on its closure saw it relocate to a yard and lose depot status.

Paignton did have depot status in Transit days IIRC.

TrentBarton in Belper and Matlock are both outstations that used to be depots.

Cesarcollie

That wasn't the same location though? They had the depot by the station but a lack of suitable sites on its closure saw it relocate to a yard and lose depot status.

Paignton did have depot status in Transit days IIRC.

TrentBarton in Belper and Matlock are both outstations that used to be depots.

The old depot in Matlock is a tyre and exhaust place now. Do Trent still park there then?

hst43102

The Stagecoach depot in Corby is now an outstation of Kettering depot. I think the fleet is shared between the two.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Where are buses parked in Exmouth since the bus station closed?
As per DVSA website Compound 2a, Pound Lane Industrial Estate, Exmouth, EX8 4NP

I had interpreted the OP as being a specific site that was a depot and is now an outstation (e.g. no maintenance, perhaps no fixed allocation, limited welfare/office facilities).

TheWalrus

Established Member
What criteria are you adopting to describe an outstation?

Was the lorry park next to the station, now I believe they have a yard somewhere on Pound Lane.

cnjb8

Established Member
What criteria are you adopting to describe an outstation?

There isn’t a criteria for these things, they just are or they aren’t I guess.

Andyh82

Established Member
Todmorden used to be a full depot with its own allocation, but these days it’s just an outstation of Halifax

nw1

Established Member
Not sure if Haslemere outstation still exists (I remember perhaps 10 years ago quite a few buses used to be parked up there at the weekends - behind the railway station) but that could be considered the equivalent of Hindhead depot, which closed quite a long time ago.

Whisky Papa

Todmorden used to be a full depot with its own allocation, but these days it’s just an outstation of Halifax
Yeah, it used to have a roof too - even if it was a foot lower than would have been ideal:D.

Seriously, it is now a shadow of its former self, when it had a garage manager, engineering staff and a proper workshop.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Not sure if Haslemere outstation still exists (I remember perhaps 10 years ago quite a few buses used to be parked up there at the weekends - behind the railway station) but that could be considered the equivalent of Hindhead depot, which closed quite a long time ago.
Haslemere and Hindhead are separate places so probably not applicable. Academic though as Haslemere closed in favour of the new depot at Peasmarsh IIRC.

Also, there are lots of places that have outstations now that used to have depots. Surely we are looking at the same site that used to be a depot and is now just an outstation? Otherwise in Devon alone, you'd have Tiverton, Sidmouth, Exmouth, Tavistock and Dartmouth.

cnjb8

Established Member
I think Stagecoach East Midlands Newark outstation used to be a depot, I think I might be wrong though

cnjb8

Established Member
Didn’t Newark used to be a Lincolnshire depot?
I think it was purchased from Road Car. It might have come from East Midlands but Newark is regarded as an outstation of Lincoln which suggests it’s Road Car

ACBest

Yes, Newark was a Lincolnshire RoadCar depot. The depot was at the bottom of the old bus station - but as mentioned, it’s now an outstation of Lincoln, based at Travel Wright’s depot.

Here’s another one for the list - Centrebus Stevenage used to be a depot, but is now an outstation.

Status
Not open for further replies.