• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Football grounds seen from trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey C

Established Member
Wigan's ground is visible from the WCML, I'm not sure Blackpool or Preston are

Thus on a service from London Euston to Glasgow via New Street you'd see Wembley, maybe Mk Dons, Birmingham City?, Villa?, Walsall and Wigan.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Pretty sure you'd have to be able to see through rock to see White Hart Lane from the ECML. You can though see both the Emirates and the old Highbury.

And is there really anywhere that St James' Park can be seen from the train through Newcastle?

greyman42

Established Member
Pretty sure you'd have to be able to see through rock to see White Hart Lane from the ECML. You can though see both the Emirates and the old Highbury.

And is there really anywhere that St James' Park can be seen from the train through Newcastle?
I am referring to the new stadium which is under construction but can be clearly seen. Are you referring to the old one? Regarding Newcastle, it is easy to see from the King Edward Bridge.

175mph

On Moderation
Transpennine Express - Manchester Airport to Cleethorpes, you can see Scunthorpe United football grounds as well as a two retail parks and a Tesco Extra store as the train is about to pass over the viaduct into Scunthorpe.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
A train from New St to Crewe via the Grand Jn Line will take in St Andrews, Villa Park, the Bescot Stadium, Molineux and Gresty Rd. You might even be able to see The H*wth*rns from the Grand Jn lines near Hamstead, although some would say that’s stretching the definition of a football stadium.

Clansman

Established Member
Kings Cross - Glasgow Central.
Arsenal, Spurs, Stevenage? Peterborough, Newcastle, Berwick, Hibs, Hearts, Motherwell, Celtic.
The Rangers, Darlington, Doncaster Rovers, Edinburgh City, and Queens Park's stadia can all be seen from this service as well.

greyman42

Established Member
The Rangers, Darlington, Doncaster Rovers, Edinburgh City, and Queens Park's stadia can all be seen from this service as well.
Yes I new you got a glimpse of Ibrox if you new where to look but did not realise you could see Hampden if that is what you are referring to. Where about is Edinburgh City's ground? I thought Doncaster's was now hidden behind warehouses? Darlington are non-league.

Dentonian

Established Member
You can see the Etihad from the Hope Valley Line and the line through Guide Bridge. In fact, between Ashburys and Gorton look northwards and you can't miss it!

High Dyke

Established Member
I have never noticed Stevenage. Is it north or south of the station and is it on the Hertford loop?
It's on the south east side of town, as you head towards the A10. Not sure it can be seen by train though.

Elsewhere Lancaster City is a couple of minutes walk from the station, and viewed from trains arriving/departing the north.

Ramsbottom Utd viewed from the East Lancs Railway.

I'm sure Morecambe is passed by trains on the Heysham Port branch.

Harbornite

Established Member
Just about any train passing or stopping at The Hawthorns (clue in the name :E) will see West Bromwich Albions Ground.

Numerous services to and from Birmingham in the West Midlands.

If you're travelling from Kidderminster to Marylebone (with Chiltern), you'd be able to see Kidderminster's ground from said station, St Andrews and Wembley but I doubt you'd be able to see the Hawthorns from that station as it's hidden from view.

Harbornite

Established Member

Thus on a service from London Euston to Glasgow via New Street you'd see Wembley, maybe Mk Dons, Birmingham City?, Villa?, Walsall and Wigan.

You wouldn't see Bescot stadium unless diverted.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Watford as well. Don't think MK Dons is visible.

You can see the Etihad from the Hope Valley Line and the line through Guide Bridge. In fact, between Ashburys and Gorton look northwards and you can't miss it!

Etihad can quite clearly be seen from any train approaching Piccadilly from the south on the right hand side. Think you can even see it from Miles Platting when heading into Victoria too.

Stampy

A few from memory.....

You pass behind Shrewsbury's ground on trains from Hereford

You pass underneath one corner of Macclesfield's ground on trains between Macclesfield & Stoke

You pass by Doncaster's ground just south of the station

Wrexham's ground is next to Wrexham station

You pass by the Bescot Stadium (Walsall) on trains to Walsall from B'ham NS

Iskra

Established Member
Barnsley's Oakwell can be seen from the railway line through the town. As can Huddersfield Towns ground, whatever it's called these days.

Mikey C

Established Member
The Olympic Stadium is visible from the GEML, and indeed many other services in the area. Norwich at the other end is certainly visible, not sure about Ipswich. Colchester's ground is next to the A12 so probably too far to be seen

Clansman

Established Member
Yes I new you got a glimpse of Ibrox if you new where to look but did not realise you could see Hampden if that is what you are referring to. Where about is Edinburgh City's ground? I thought Doncaster's was now hidden behind warehouses? Darlington are non-league.
Ye I was using Queens Park to justify using Hampden as an example, which you can see the roof of at around Polmaddie on the left hand side when heading towards Glasgow Central. Edinburgh City play at Meadowbank stadium which is visible between Edinburgh Waverley and Craigentinny, on the left hand side when heading away from the former.

Cletus

Established Member
In the Conference there's Maidstone, Gateshead international stadium (I think), Hartlepool's floodlights, also Maidenhead's ground is right next to the line out of Paddington and you can just about see Ebbsfleet's ground from the from the station.

Dover Athletic's Crabble ground, clearer in the winter with less foliage. :smile:

Cletus

Established Member
Just about any train passing or stopping at The Hawthorns (clue in the name :E) will see West Bromwich Albions Ground.

Numerous services to and from Birmingham in the West Midlands.

I would have thought that with trains being in a cutting that you can't actually see their ground?

BlueFox

You get a brief glimpse of the roof of one of Preston's stands.

Non-league grounds visible from the WCML include Lancaster City (you can also see it from the north end of the station platforms) and Carlisle City.

BlueFox

On a short stretch (around a mile) of the Midland Mainline south of Leicester you can see Friar Lane and Epworth football ground, Saffron Lane Athletics stadium, Leicester City's King Power Stadium, and Leicester Tigers' Welford Road stadium.

Clansman

Established Member
On a clear day towards the end of last year you could see the floodlights McDiarmid Park of St. Johnstone from the HML shortly after leaving Perth, at around Inveralmond.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It's been a good long while since I have done some of these lines so please don't take this as gospel, but others that I can't see mentioned are The Shay at Halifax at the west end of the town, the KC Stadium on the approach to Hull, Bolton's Macron Stadium at Horwich Parkway, the briefest of brief glimpses of Ewood Park on the line between Blackburn and Darwen, Exeter City's St James' Park, at, erm, St James' Park and I think you can just about make out Deepdale from the Blackburn to Preston line if you know where to look. If you live in Southwest Scotland and want a cheap day out, I am fairly certain you could watch a Girvan match from the loop platform there, as they play immediately below the embankment at the station.

Barnsley's Oakwell can be seen from the railway line through the town....

Vice versa, you can also see the station footbridge from the main stand there.

You get a brief glimpse of the roof of one of Preston's stands.

Non-league grounds visible from the WCML include Lancaster City (you can also see it from the north end of the station platforms) and Carlisle City.

You can also see the very back of Rugby Town's ground to the west side of the line between Hilmorton Jn and Rugby station.

Status
Not open for further replies.