• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Full Coast-to-Coast diagrams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
Out of interest, are there any diagrams in the uk which see a train go from a town on the East Coast to a town on the West Coast or vice-versa? Must be towns which have an actual seaside or are actually on the coast rather than just near it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
We'll, the Clyde is tidal up to Glasgow, which opens up a plethora of routes , including going from West to east and back.
But if you don't like estuaries, obviously the Aberdeen to Penzance, and several from Edinburgh to the South West.

sd0733

Established Member
Par to Newquay Is pretty much South coast to North coast.

cuccir

Established Member
Several trains a day from Edinburgh and Berwick on the east coast to Plymouth on the south coast: and of course one from Aberdeen!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Out of interest, are there any diagrams in the uk which see a train go from a town on the East Coast to a town on the West Coast or vice-versa? Must be towns which have an actual seaside or are actually on the coast rather than just near it.
Liverpool to Norwich for sure, but how do you define "on the coast"?

I don't think Bristol or Glasgow should count, but if it's not properly defined, you will get people pushing the boundaries ;)

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Its not quite East Coast to West Coast but the Aberdeen to Penzance service (1V60 0820 Aberdeen to Penzance) goes from the East Coast to the South Coast. I would argue that this is the longest "coast to coast" service in the UK.

davmet

Liverpool to Norwich for sure, but how do you define "on the coast"?ies ;)
Liverpool to Norwich for sure, but how do you define "on the coast"?

I don't think Bristol or Glasgow should count, but if it's not properly defined, you will get people pushing the boundaries ;)
Why would you think Norwich is on the coast

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Each morning, there is an EMT 158 diagram (as per OP question) that covers a GA service from Norwich to Lowestoft and back before heading off on a Liverpool service, so does form a coast to coast diagram.

dk1

Veteran Member
Each morning, there is an EMT 158 diagram (as per OP question) that covers a GA service from Norwich to Lowestoft and back before heading off on a Liverpool service, so does form a coast to coast diagram.
Good point. I think most of us where assuming it as a 'through train' which 2J63/1R70 are not rather than a unit diagram.

kieron

Established Member
I don't know diagrams, but I can think of a couple of individual services which see more than one coast.

The 17:13 from Kyle of Lochalsh to Elgin starts on the west coast, and stops at Nairn on the north coast east of Inverness.

The 10:41 from Holyhead to Llanelli starts on the north coast of Holy Island and ends on the south coast of Wales.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I don't know diagrams, but I can think of a couple of individual services which see more than one coast.

The 17:13 from Kyle of Lochalsh to Elgin starts on the west coast, and stops at Nairn on the north coast east of Inverness.

The 10:41 from Holyhead to Llanelli starts on the north coast of Holy Island and ends on the south coast of Wales.

Exactly. Individual trains is what I think the OP means. Diagrams are details for a traincrew shift and can involve a number of trains or a days duty for a loco/unit, again several trains.

DanNCL

Established Member
There used to be that service which ran over the Tyne Valley and continued onto Whitehaven. Not sure if it still runs though.
Scrapped in the May timetable. There also used to be a through service from Newcastle to Stranraer via the Tyne Valley but that also ended a few years ago.

vlad

The Yare is tidal as far as Norwich. Does that count?

To answer the OP, Penzance to St Ives has a couple of through trains a day - that's south coast to north coast.

alexl92

Established Member
Fascinating! Didn’t really have tidal towns in mind but I wouldn’t be so rude as to reject the contributions, especially as I didn’t specify. I love the idea of being able to hop on the train at one seaside and end up at another on a totally different side of the country.

xotGD

Established Member
Scrapped in the May timetable. There also used to be a through service from Newcastle to Stranraer via the Tyne Valley but that also ended a few years ago.
Plus Newcastle isn't on the east coast. You would need a service from, say, Seaham to Whitehaven to offer coast to coast running.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
As they use to say in the old Central days, Yarmouth to Barmouth, although there wasn't actually a service but others similar.

Ken H

On Moderation
Fascinating! Didn’t really have tidal towns in mind but I wouldn’t be so rude as to reject the contributions, especially as I didn’t specify. I love the idea of being able to hop on the train at one seaside and end up at another on a totally different side of the country.

That opens a whole can of worms. Lancaster. Gloucester, Newark (Well 8 miles north of), Ulleskelf, York (4,5 miles at Acaster Mabis), Temple Hurst Jct, Truro, Preston, Warrington, Dolgellau.

I dont suppose the OP was thinking of Newark to Warrington as seaside to seaside!

alistairlees

Established Member
Arguably Liverpool and Hull are on estuaries rather than the coast.
You can get very large ocean-going ships to both. So they are definitely on the coast. The tidal extremities given in earlier threads are (in some cases) for pretty small boats. Not for 50,000 tonne ships.

xotGD

Established Member
No way can Hull be considered to be on the coast.

cuccir

Established Member
I'd say yes - I think an estuary is coastal. Would contrast that with (say) Newcastle which is on a tidal stretch of river.

Status
Not open for further replies.