• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Furthest station from any other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexman

Established Member
Does anyone know what is the furthest station from any other station in Britain?

There could perhaps be two answers - furthest from a station on the same line and furthest from any station.

I'm thinking maybe somewhere on a reasonably major line where the local stations have been closed, or perhaps somewhere at the end of a line.

Without looking at any maps or mileages I've thought of Berwick, Welshpool or Stranraer but I'm sure the knowledgeable folks here will have better suggestions or know the answer for sure.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Essexman

Established Member
Sorry I may not have made it clear. I mean what station is furthest from any other not the longest distance between any two.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm thinking maybe somewhere on a reasonably major line where the local stations have been closed, or perhaps somewhere at the end of a line.
I'd expect to to be an isolated rural station like Altnabreac.

Edit: Hmm... not Altnabreac as Scotscalder is closer than I thought.

Last edited:

Essexman

Established Member
I thought rural but most rural lines have lots of stops. Altnabreac isn't that far from Forsinard (about 8 miles). I'd thought of the far North Line but trains seem to stop fairly regularly.

exile

Established Member
Lockerbie is 16 miles from the nearest station, Gretna Green.

D6975

Established Member
Ebbsfleet to Ashford Intl? Must be about 40 miles?

? Ebbsfleet is only 3 miles from Gravesend - read the o/p, you're answering a different question.

Stranraer is a pretty good shout, it's about 26 miles to the nearest station. (Barrhill) By rail that is, as the crow flies it's more like 20.

Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
In the Netherlands i would choose for Assen; 16 kilometers to Beilen and 22 to Haren. One should exclude HSL, because in France than the kilometers become huge.

Essexman

Established Member
I've just checked Stranraer to Barrhill and it is 26 miles according to my 2007 National Rail Timetable ('Final Printed Edition').

I've only done the journey once and thought it was some distance.

Any advance on 26 miles?

mike57

Established Member
A suprising one? Malton, 21 miles from York and 18.25miles from Seamer by rail, but then Pickering is 8.5 miles by road from Malton. But as a preserved line do you count Pickering?

cf111

Established Member
I thought rural but most rural lines have lots of stops. Altnabreac isn't that far from Forsinard (about 8 miles). I'd thought of the far North Line but trains seem to stop fairly regularly.

The Far North Line has two of the stations closest to one another on the national network, Invershin and Culrain are a mere 34 chains (most of which is a viaduct over the Kyle of Sutherland!) apart.

I'm not sure if this is the shortest distance between two stations on the same line but it must be one of them.

thenorthern

Established Member
Berwick-upon-Tweed is 20 miles from the next nearest station at Chathill.

Its still the United Kingdom so Londonderry to Bellarena which is around 21 miles is some distance.

Parallel

Established Member
Swindon is fairly isolated. The nearest railway stations being Kemble, Didcot Parkway and Chippenham.

duffers2324

Carstairs to Lockerbie I believe is the longest stretch between any two stations certainly on the WCML if not the whole of Britain...a few others I think are in with a shout are Donny to Gainsborough Lea Rd and Boston to Thorpe Culvert.

Last edited:

crispy1978

A suprising one? Malton, 21 miles from York and 18.25miles from Seamer by rail, but then Pickering is 8.5 miles by road from Malton. But as a preserved line do you count Pickering?

Was thinking Malton myself as a reasonable shout as its a decent trek to both Seamer and York.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Having read the question slightly differently, I'd nominate Penzance and Wick.

Essexman

Established Member
Sorry for posting in wrong forum.

To question, what station is furthest from any other in Britain (i.e. longest distance from the closest station), there seems to be no advance on Stranraer.

Andyjs247

According to railmiles, Stranraer to Barrhill is 25 miles 46ch.

However it is beaten by Lockerbie, if you're considering the distance between adjacent stations. Lockerbie is 25m 66ch from Carlisle and 47m 67ch from Carstairs. But Lockerbie to Kirknewton is 64m 42ch, which is also the longest distance between stations.

Gathursty

Established Member
I read the question as thus:

What is the largest radius of a circle, with a UK station as the centre, such that no other station appears within the circle?

I'd be tempted to go with Stranraer as Annan is not too far from Lockerbie.

TheNewNo2

I believe the winner (furthest distanace from any other station by rail) is Lockerbie at 25.8 miles from Carlisle, 47.7 from Carstairs and 64.55 from Kirknewton.

According to my query, here's a list of all stations at least 10 miles from the nearest station:

Station 1 MinOfDistance Station 2
Lockerbie 25.8 Carlisle
Stranraer 25.6875 Barrhill
Berwick-upon-Tweed 20.96 Chathill
Malton 18.025 Seamer
Penrith 17.86 Carlisle
Spalding 16.6 Peterborough
Perth 15.525 Dunkeld & Birnam
Dumfries 15.4875 Annan
Market Rasen 14.54 Barnetby
Diss 14.41 Stowmarket
Tiverton Parkway 14.21 Taunton
Wick 14.1875 Georgemas Junction
Welshpool 13.85 Newtown (Powys)
Swindon 13.7 Kemble
Dunkeld & Birnam 12.875 Pitlochry
Hereford 12.5875 Leominster
Huntly 12.475 Keith
Keith 12.475 Huntly
Gleneagles 12.2625 Dunblane
Girvan 12.25 Barrhill
Barrhill 12.25 Girvan
Elgin 12.225 Forres
Stamford 12.09 Peterborough
Cam & Dursley 11.7 Gloucester
Taunton 11.55 Bridgwater
Oakham 11.51 Melton Mowbray
Dunbar 11.31 Drem
Kemble 11.18 Stroud
Chathill 11.18 Alnmouth
Leominster 10.9125 Ludlow
Market Harborough 10.91 Kettering
Ivybridge 10.79 Plymouth
Appleby 10.6875 Kirkby Stephen
Inverurie 10.625 Insch
Insch 10.625 Inverurie
Bicester North 10.55 Kings Sutton
Melton Mowbray 10.26 Syston
Axminster 10.19 Honiton
Dalwhinnie 10.1875 Newtonmore
Gainsborough Central 10.13 Retford
Inverness 10.125 Beauly
Laurencekirk 10.05 Montrose
Montrose 10.05 Laurencekirk

For those wondering, the closest stations are West India Quay and Canary Wharf DLR at 0.12 miles. On the Underground it's Covent Garden and Leicester Square (0.16 mi), and on the national network it is Ty Glas to Birchgrove (0.19 mi).

(As a note, my thanks to the questioner, as this has shown me my mileage table incorrectly lists the distance between Kings Norton and Bournville as 0.03 miles, presumably due to a mileage change. My overall rail travel has increased by 44.94 miles!

D6975

Established Member
Barrhill-Stranraer is coming up as a bit debatable.
I’ve looked it up in 6 different locations. (well 5 plus those already given by another)
The National Timetable gives 26 miles, but is notoriously inaccurate.
The old ‘Miles and Chains’ book gives 25 miles 78 chains.
A file of mileage tables I got off t’internet (no, I can’t remember where) gives 25m 55c
Track Atlas of Mainland Britain also gives 25m 55c.
The Sectional Appendix, likewise gives 25m 55c.
Railmiles gives 25m 46c.
Perhaps we might get a definitive figure when it all goes metric. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Lockerbie is only 18m 10c by rail from Gretna Green. This does involve a reversal, but that wasn't prohibited by the original question. You would probably have to add a bit to allow for clearing the signalling section at the reversing point. As the crow flies it's only about 16.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Lockerbie is only 18m 10c by rail from Gretna Green. This does involve a reversal, but that wasn't prohibited by the original question. You would probably have to add a bit to allow for clearing the signalling section at the reversing point. As the crow flies it's only about 16.
That, perhaps, means that Berwick-on-Tweed is a new contender for stations that aren't at the end of the line. According to Railmiles it's 20mi 79ch from Chathill and 28mi 32ch from Dunbar. Have I forgotten a station between Dunbar and Berwick?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I read the question as thus:

What is the largest radius of a circle, with a UK station as the centre, such that no other station appears within the circle?

I'd be tempted to go with Stranraer as Annan is not too far from Lockerbie.

That is exactly the way I am reading the question as well - the adjacent stations on on a line of route has been done to death on other threads (e.g. Lockerbie to West Calder). I think therefore that using the "radius" argument its a toss up between Stranraer and Berwick.

D6975

Established Member
I thought Stranraer would win on the circle method, but not so.
Barrhill is just over 17 miles as the crow flies, nearer than I thought.
Berwick on Tweed is approx 20 miles from Chathill as the crow flies, so beats Stranraer quite comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.