• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Highest ratio of approach tracks to platforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d9009alycidon

Hi - I was looking a the Tracksy diagram for Edinburgh Waverley and was wondering if the east end of this station had the highest ratio of approach tracks (2) to platforms (10), giving a ratio of 5:1, in comparison the west end has 13 platforms but 4 approach tracks so is 3.3:1. Looking at other stations a ratio of between 2 and 4 to one seems to be the norm, e.g. Glasgow Central, 15 platforms 7 approach tracks = 2.1:1 and Queen Street 7 platforms 2 approach tracks = 3.5:1. Even the massive Waterloo with 24 platforms has 8 approach tracks so the ratio is 3:1.

Any stations with a higher ratio???

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lemmy99uk

Approaching from the Soho direction, Birmingham New Street has 2 approach lines giving access to 13 platforms.

d9009alycidon

Approaching from the Soho direction, Birmingham New Street has 2 approach lines giving access to 13 platforms.

Would agrue that there are 4 possible approach tracks though when the line to five ways is added, OK the Soho lines can access all platforms but the 5 ways lines can access 8

Lemmy99uk

Would agrue that there are 4 possible approach tracks though when the line to five ways is added, OK the Soho lines can access all platforms but the 5 ways lines can access 8

The Midland lines are access from the southwest, the Stour ones are access from the north. The 2 routes never actually merge before the station.

greyman42

Established Member
The approach to Leeds from the east only has two tracks. I don't know how many platforms they serve.

Established Member
Liverpool St:
The two suburban lines access platforms 1-10
The two main lines access platforms 5-14
Both a ratio of 5:1
The two electric lines only access platforms 13-18, ratio 3:1

AndrewE

Established Member
Crewe has 4 access lines (including 1 from the N Staffs approach) from the south feeding 10 platforms and 3 through roads. https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/crewe#T_CREWE shows it.
Not the worst, but it means that (e.g.) the ..09 arrival/departure of the Manchester Cardiff train at pfm 6 almost always conflicts with the xx.08/10 dwell of the class 9 Euston - Scotland via Brum through pfm 11.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Liverpool St:
The two suburban lines access platforms 1-10
The two main lines access platforms 5-14
Both a ratio of 5:1
The two electric lines only access platforms 13-18, ratio 3:1
If you start breaking it down functionally like that I think Waterloo will trump Liverpool St, with its main fast pair and main suburban pair also able to reach almost the whole station (except 20 upwards). But surely this isn’t what the OP is actually wanting?

AM9

Veteran Member
Blackpool North has one track signalled for approach to 6 platforms, so a ratio of 6:1.

Established Member
If you start breaking it down functionally like that I think Waterloo will trump Liverpool St, with its main fast pair and main suburban pair also able to reach almost the whole station (except 20 upwards). But surely this isn’t what the OP is actually wanting?

Dunno to be honest. Bit irrelevant though if the track doesn't exist to link the two. Waterloo would trump Liverpool St I'd guess with the west crossing as well, but platform 19 to down suburban would soon bring the job to a stand. :(

A Challenge

Established Member
Dunno to be honest. Bit irrelevant though if the track doesn't exist to link the two. Waterloo would trump Liverpool St I'd guess with the west crossing as well, but platform 19 to down suburban would soon bring the job to a stand. :(
You can access also access Platforms 7 to 24 from the Windsor Relief, Up Windsor and Down Windsor lines.

There are 8 (or 7 as there appears from OTT to be a permanent line block on the Windsor Relief through Queenstown Road) for the 24 platforms.

TheoBald

Point of order m'lud but hasn't the OP got his ratio the wrong way round? Either the lowest ratio as stated is wanted, or highest of platforms:approach tracks?

Veteran Member
Blackpool North has one track signalled for approach to 6 platforms, so a ratio of 6:1.
The OP has used "approach track" to cover running lines in both directions, so BPN is 3:1 (or 1:3!).

Established Member
Point of order m'lud but hasn't the OP got his ratio the wrong way round? Either the lowest ratio as stated is wanted, or highest of platforms:approach tracks?

I thought it didnt make mathematical sense either but the OP did show their working so we could follow their train of thought. :idea:

d9009alycidon

I thought it didnt make mathematical sense either but the OP did show their working so we could follow their train of thought. :idea:

Yes I stand corrected - basically I was trying to see if any congestion that has been suggested could occur at the East End of Waverley might be the result of there being only two possible approach tracks for the ten platforms and if there were any other stations where there were a higher ratio. It started to get complicated where (like Birningham) you have a liimited number of approach tracks for certain platforms compared with others. Sorry if I have confused anyone.

Liverpool Lime street has 4 approach tracks and 10 platforms making a 2.5:1 ratio if my math is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.