• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: How Far North Has A Unit With 3rd Rail Shoes Reached?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomotron

Self-explanatory. I think it's probably Class 92s, or it might be Class 73s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member
73s have gone at least as far north as Inverness, but I think devoid of shoes.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There’s probably been secret tests of a loco hauled 442 everywhere on the network, but they don’t want us to know...

Spartacus

Established Member
A pair of original 73s (with shoes) made it to Fort William last September [GBRF tour]

I can remember GBRf's 73s going north before then, but thought they were 73/9s without shoes. There's a big risk that even if they're in gauge you'll lose them at some point to a high ballast shoulder.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I can remember GBRf's 73s going north before then, but thought they were 73/9s without shoes. There's a big risk that even if they're in gauge you'll lose them at some point to a high ballast shoulder.

I'm pretty sure the Cally Sleeper 73/9s have lost their shoes when they went up north as they were deemed to not be needed.

route:oxford

Established Member
Isn't the most northerly point on the Glasgow Underground Hillhead?

I've definitely seen a London Underground unit pass through Falkirk Grahamston on the way to Rosyth. Not sure if the shoes were removed for the transfers or not.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
The Glasgow Underground/Subway has third rail.

Doesn’t the Cairngorm Funicular (when it is working) have some sort of power pick-up for lighting and other auxiliaries?

Bucephalus

I believe that M200 trains regularly visit Mellunmäen metroasema station on the Helsinki Metro. 750v dc

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think the shoegear on the 73s is retractable so wouldn't foul the gauge on non-electrified lines.

d9009alycidon

Several old 2-Bils and 2 Hals were scrapped at McWilliams yard at Shettleston and the side contact Manchester Bury units were scrapped at MC Metals, Springburn

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Several old 2-Bils and 2 Hals were scrapped at McWilliams yard at Shettleston and the side contact Manchester Bury units were scrapped at MC Metals, Springburn
But they probably removed the shoes to keep them in gauge before they set out northwards.

For scrapping at HNC , Rotherham, or possibly 1 or 2 units here and there for preservation,m n
stripped and for haulage?
Peter S

Midnight Sun

The Tyneside Electrics services around Newcastle until 1967 were 3rd rail when it was de-electrified and replaced by DMU's.

Well OK the - nobody's said "in service" - Or was that implied? If so, I would probably
have to go with the post that suggested the 73's on the Sleepers

Takes me back to my early teens when, with my Geordie cousins, we used to ride around
on The Blyth & Tyne into and out of Ashington, now being talked about re-instatement.
Take a look if you're in the area, it's all still in place ..... now on GBRf workings to and from Tyne
Yard to Lynemouth on biomass workings. I'll be up there again this summer .......

Status
Not open for further replies.