• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Intervisibility of tram stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
There have been a few threads about stations where you can see other stations from them. I wonder about tram stops. I’ll start with Supertram in Sheffield, where if you are stood at Castle Square stop, you can see Cathedral to the west and Fitzalan Square/Ponds Forge to the east. So that’s three. Anybody beat that? ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scrapy

Established Member
On Manchester Metrolink you can see Sale and Timperley from Brooklands, (and all the way between Sale and Timperley, 2 stops as well) as the lines really straight. Same number of stops as the first example but a much greater distance. I bet there are places on Blackpool's trams where you can see 4 or 5 stops along the seafront though.

duncanp

Established Member
One example on the West Midlands Metro is that you can see Soho Benson Road from Winson Green (Outer Circle)

507 001

Established Member
Crossacres and Benchill.
If it wasn’t for the Station Equipment room, Baguley to Roundthorn.
Oldham Central and Oldham king street.
Edge Lane and Cemetery Road
Kingsway Business park and Newbold (Newbold is in a dip, but you can see the tops of the street lights)

And as previously mentioned, Timperley, Brooklands and Sale.

A few on the Midland Metro.

St Chads/St Pauls
Soho Benson Road/Winson Green
Trinity Way/West Bromwich
Wednesbury Great Western St/Wednesbury Parkway
Bradley Lane/Loxdale

What happens when you use an old mainline railway alignment I guess.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Before it was closed in 2013, you could also see part of Mosley Street tram stop from Piccadilly Gardens (but not from Market Street) on the Manchester Metrolink system.

rebmcr

Established Member
Before it was closed in 2013, you could also see part of Mosley Street tram stop from Piccadilly Gardens (but not from Market Street) on the Manchester Metrolink system.
There was probably a spot (though not on a station) where one could glimpse a bit of High Street, most of Mosley Street, Market Street, Piccadilly Gardens, and maybe even St Peter's Square on a good day.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
There was probably a spot (though not on a station) where one could glimpse a bit of High Street, most of Mosley Street, Market Street, Piccadilly Gardens, and maybe even St Peter's Square on a good day.

I think High Street would be tucked just too far around the side of Debenhams for that to be possible.

Certainly possible to have stood in one spot in the delta junction to see all.of Market Street (old or new), Piccadilly Gardens and Mosley Street at the same time.

rebmcr

Established Member
I think High Street would be tucked just too far around the side of Debenhams for that to be possible.

Certainly possible to have stood in one spot in the delta junction to see all.of Market Street (old or new), Piccadilly Gardens and Mosley Street at the same time.
I was thinking the opposing corner (Abbey National) was quite far set-back from what would be the corner of Lewis' if their building was a regular shape, but upon further digging it seems the southern ramp of High Street's platform was quite a bit further from the corner than I seem to remember!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Isn't that architectural abomination about to be demolished?

Wonder how many tram stops are visible from a suitable vantage spot in Manchester City Centre such as the top floor of the 100+ metres tall City Tower, which overlooks Piccadilly Gardens?

Possibly a few more than at street level.

507 001

Established Member

Wonder how many tram stops are visible from a suitable vantage spot in Manchester City Centre such as the top floor of the 100+ metres tall City Tower, which overlooks Piccadilly Gardens?

A small part of it is going to be demolished yes.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Nope. The wall is in the way.

A small part of it is going to be demolished yes.

From street view, if you stand at the very bottom of the ramp at Piccadilly Gardens, you can see the furniture on the platform at Market Street: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4...4!1sl4KdtNbPuCwgo3AFZFMXTQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Taunton

Established Member
Southend Pier Raiway. You can see the two terminal stations from one another. About a mile.

Frazzle

Oldham King Street (Manchester bound platform) and Oldham Central on the Rochdale branch of the Metrolink.

notlob.divad

Established Member
Southend Pier Raiway. You can see the two terminal stations from one another. About a mile.
I suppose you could have Southport then as well, although I would argue a) whilst the rails still exist the tram itself doesn't and b) you need a pretty good pair of binoculars.

There must be some places on the DLR as well

Status
Not open for further replies.