• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Journeys where Northern trains are decisively quicker than driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCj34

Best metric is what Google, Rome2Rio pinpoint as the centre and driving time without traffic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Islandexpress

Shipley - Leeds is an easy one, id therefore include all Airedale and Wharfedale services.

Bradford to Halifax and vv?

Llama

Established Member
Manchester Victoria to/from Todmorden & Hebden Bridge. Possible in under 30 minutes to/from Hebden by train, double that by road. To/from Todmorden can be done in 20 by train, although not timetabled that tight and needs a clear run, something Manchester ROC struggle to understand the concept of.

xotGD

Established Member
I would suggest any commuter journey into Leeds or Manchester where there is a direct train service will be quicker by train than car. However, when you look at door-to-door journey times it all depends on how long it takes you to get to your local station. I leave home 30 minutes before my train is due to depart - driving into Leeds might be quicker.

Buspilot

Stalybridge to Ashton-under-Lyne

and from both of those to Manchester (Victoria).

Clip

Established Member
Leyland,Buckshaw parkway, Chorley, Bolton - Blackpool

KevinTurvey

Liverpool to Manchester can often take 2 hours by car. Even the all stations stopper is a fair bit quicker.

darloscott

Anywhere on or near higher speed lines will be do-able, such as Durham to Newcastle or Newcastle to Morpeth, possibly even Sunderland to Newcastle. Barnsley to Sheffield strikes me as another one, and Meadowhall into Sheffield obviously.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Liverpool South Parkway to Warrington is 17m on Northern (when they bother turning up) but 35m by car.

philthetube

Established Member
Virtually all short journeys will be quicker by train,

Colne Burnley
Burnley accrington
Accrington Blackburn etc

But forget slightly longer ones such as Colne Preston.

Status
Not open for further replies.