Trivia: Large towns in UK with no railway station

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by stj, 28 Aug 2019.

1. Ken H

Ken H Established Member

surprising. there was a railway there, crossing Bridgeford Road. You can still see it here.
    https://goo.gl/maps/PhWvZ2Yiixq9BAh87

2. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit On Moderation

There is also Queensbury, Stocksbridge, Ossett, Otley, Ripon, Hawes, Grassington, Helmsley, Easingwold, Pocklington, Market Weighton, Dinnington, Ripponden, Wetherby, Stamford Bridge, Withernsea and Hornsea. They did have railway stations in the past but have long gone. The platforms are still in situ at Stamford Bridge and at Hawes, the station building is still in situ at Pocklington, there is also the remains of a semaphore post at the site of Cleckheaton Central.

The nearst station to Oldham now is Mills Hill. If the station has a large enough car park could it warrant it to become a Parkway station i.e. Oldham Parkway.

Salford is a seperate city and isn't part of the city of Manchester which many people think. To me both Crescent and Central are in Salford.

3. DavidGrain

DavidGrain Member

Talking of West Bridgford my only knowledge of the place from a transport point of view was as a boy on my Midland Red day anywhere tickets I explored the Midlands and I remember on my Nottingham trip seeing West Bridgford Urban District Council buses in the Market Square, one of the few UDCs to have corporation buses.

4. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

This has been posted previously, and the population figures were from 2013, so may have changed a bit since then. This list only applies to England:

List edited on 25 Sept. 2019
    (Ilkeston & Kenilworth deleted - now have stations, although Ilkeston is some distance from the town centre.)

Towns without stations.

The "official" definitions of towns & their boundaries have changed over the years, especially in the 1974 reorganisation (Whitehall meddling) in which various towns & villages were lumped together into metropolitan boroughs or other units deemed an "ideal" size by Whitehall. For example, Hanley is a fairly large town with no station, but I could not locate a recent population separate from the combined "City of Stoke On Trent".

Also, information on Wikipedia is not always reliable. The following is an attempt to determine the population of towns, according to "traditional" boundaries, which have no station in or near the "town centre". Separate lists show towns with stations near the edge of the town, and towns with trams but no "mainline" railway station. Populations rounded to the nearest "thousand".

1. No station:-
    Wythenshawe 86,000 (Technically part of Manchester, so should be deleted)
    Gosport 80,000
    Washington (Co. Durham) 53,000
    Leigh (Lancs.) 44,000
    West Bridgford 44,000
    Skelmersdale 39,000
    Blyth (Northumberland) 36,000
    Houghton le Spring 36,000
    Dunstable 35,000
    Coalville 33,000
    Peterlee 30,000
    Rushden 29,000
    Heywood 28,000
    Ashington 27,000
    Consett 27,000
    Haverhill 27,000
    Burntwood (Staffs) 26,000
    Daventry 25,000
    Newport (I.O.W.) 24,000
    Heanor, Clevedon, Portishead all 22,000
    Ripley 21,000
    Hailsham 20,000

2. Only station is on fringe of town:-
    Dudley 195,000
    Halesowen 55,000
    Middleton (Lancs.) 45,000 (Mills Hill station)

3. Towns with trams but no mainline rail station:-
    West Bromwich 137,000
    Oldham 103,000
    South Shields 82,000
    Gateshead 78,000
    Bury 60,000
    Wallsend 42,000
    North Shields 40,000
    Whitley Bay 36,000
    Jarrow 27,000
    Fleetwood 26,000

Last edited: 25 Sep 2019
  5. DavidGrain

DavidGrain Member

Bevan Price.Many thanks for that analysis

2. Only station is on fringe of town:-
    Dudley 195,000
    Halesowen 55,000
    Of course we can argue what is meant by the word fringe. As for Dudley neither Dudley Port nor Sandwell and Dudley is in Dudley by both the 'traditional' town and the Metropolitan Borough definitions. However, as I have mentioned before at Rowley Regis one end of platform two is in Halesowen and that really is a fringe situation.

6. David Emmott

David Emmott Member

None of these are 'large towns'. Ripon is a small city with a population of less than 20k and I doubt if any of the others are any bigger. Grassington is a village with some town-like features.

7. NorthOxonian

NorthOxonian Member

Whilst most of them are very small, some of them (Ripon and Withernsea especially) are the main centre for a fairly large rural area. So whilst Ripon only has 20,000 people, the number of people who look to Ripon for services, and would drive to a station in the town, is significantly higher.

8. Mikey C

Mikey C Established Member

If we're including places with no NR service (but served by Trams or Metro cars) then presumably some of the places at the extremity of the London Underground would count. Loughton in Essex for example has a population of 31000

9. Ken H

Ken H Established Member

Otley is quite big...

10. camflyer

camflyer Member

11. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

I'm not sure which other places you are tagging on to make Ripon's catchment area "significantly bigger"... but IF we are including the number of people in neighbouring villages who'd drive to a station there then presumably a lot of those villages are within driving distance of Thirsk/ Harrogate?

Don't ask me about the practicalities of serving Otley (where to put a station, how to link it to the national network, where the spare paths into Leeds are...) but at least it's within commutable distance of a big city so there's an obvious "flow" there (commercial bus service etc). Maybe Otley's problem is that it doesn't tick many "regeneration" boxes (and proponents of re-opening old lines like to justify such schemes by suggesting they'll regenerate dilapidated towns).

12. s'land

s'land Member

Washington and Houghton Le Spring are part of the City of Sunderland so maybe should be deleted from the list as well.

13. David Emmott

David Emmott Member

I'd regard anywhere with less than 50k population as a small or medium sized town. I don't think Otley reaches that does it? 80k to 100k is more what I'd call 'large'. Nevertheless it's a shame that Otley was taken off the rail network and there must be potential traffic there if the link could be restored.

14. martinsh

martinsh Established Member

I think you'll find Ilkeston now has a station ....

15. rogercov

rogercov Member

And Kenilworth

16. whhistle

whhistle On Moderation

As the above poster says, Ilkeston has a station now.
    As does Kenilworth.

17. DelphDonkey

DelphDonkey Member

And Wythenshawe has trams, and Middleton a NR station on the edge of town (Mills Hill).

18. martinsh

martinsh Established Member

And Heanor has Langley Mill station on the edge of town

19. Mike Hodgson

Mike Hodgson New Member

When I was at school in Lymm (station closed over half a century ago, and yes I'm that old) they told us that whilst nearby Warrington was a town, piffling little Thelwall was a City (station closed even earlier!) having been founded by King Edward the Elder, despite it having a population of less than 10,000.

As a new member of this site. I should like to point out that when you register here, you are asked to say what city Paddington is in - and it rejects as invalid the correct answer of Westminster!

20. DelphDonkey

DelphDonkey Member

I was once asked by an American how he would get to the 'City of Lymm, in Chess-shyre'. Change at Altrincham, mate.

21. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit On Moderation

The only place I could think of in Otley where a station could go would at the eastern end of Otley Bypass, using part of the old trackbed to a potential station site. At the moment the nearest station to Otley is Menston and its walkable, takes around 25 minutes on foot or ten minutes by bus (33, 34 or the 62) and the 33 runs additionally on evenings and Sundays.

There's also the possibility that Menston acts as dual railhead for Pateley Bridge too.

22. C J Snarzell

C J Snarzell Member

I know these two towns have been mentioned - Leigh and Skelmersdale.

Leigh's last railway station closed in the early 1960s. Andy Burnham (now the Mayor of Manchester) was the Leigh MP and constantly campaigned for Leigh's need to have better transport links. Despite the lack of rail, the town now has direct bus only lanes connecting it to Manchester thanks to a multi million pound investment from the transport industry and central government. Leigh has been part of Greater Manchester since 1974 so there may be considerations to eventually connect it to the Metrolink but I cannot see this happening for several years if at all.

Skelmersdale was designated as a 'new town' in 1961 (much like Milton Keynes, Telford and Stevenage) to provide an overflow of new housing from the Liverpool regeneration scheme which took place after the war to rehouse people cleared out of slum housing in the city. 'Skem' as it's known, is more or less several council estates connected by roundabouts and bypasses, with everything converging on to a centralised shopping mall (the Concourse which the locals call the 'Cony'). The town's nearest rail station is Up Holland which is on the Wigan to Kirby line. Coincidentally, Skelmersdale is supposed to be the largest town in the UK not to have automated traffic lights at any junctions or interchanges (they are all roundabouts!).

C J

23. Comstock

Comstock Member

Is that what the tram now runs along?

24. AndyW33

AndyW33 Member

No, the tram uses sections of the former Great Central main line between Ruddington and Wilford and in the City Centre, rather to the west of the line that is being talked about.

25. Comstock

Comstock Member

Ok thank you.

FWIW (nothing) personally I'd struggle to see anywhere on the Nottingham Tram link as a place without rail links, no matter what the technical position.

26. class26

class26 Member

deleted

27. Taunton

Taunton Established Member

28. geoffk

geoffk Established Member

Manchester Exchange was partly in Salford as it straddled the River Irwell.

29. thejuggler

thejuggler Member

Always liked Otley and considered moving there, but a reason we didn't was the absence of a railway service.

30. transmanche

transmanche Established Member

Although it has only been so since 1965.

Prior to that, it was in the Metropolitan Borough of Paddington, which merged with the boroughs of St Marylebone and Westminster to form the modern local authority called the City of Westminster.