• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Largest gap between the train and the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Perth is an annoying station in so many ways.

The Scotrail HSTs will be no different to what we have now on P7.

P2, presently difficult with 170s with their centre doors, will be fine with end door mk3s.

It'll be P1, on the inside of the curve, that'll present problems with the 'new' stock. Like I just about remember mk3s on Glasgow-Aberdeen push-pulls here in the early 1980s, 35 years later.... :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hassaanhc

Established Member
Platform 1 at Wandsworth Town is terrifying. It's seldom used but occasionally has a stopper.
I took this photo a few years ago, it's been a while since I alighted there, so perhaps it's been fixed, but it doesn't look like it when I go through.

Queenstown Road Battersea used to be very similar but last year the height was increased. At Clapham Junction P12 still has that style of platform edge (line of bricks rather than concrete slabs) and is quite low too (also on the outside of a curve).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Lapworth to a 168 heading towards Birmingham was a large gap IIRC

Basingstoke P4 is quite a step into a Voyager or other SWT services which might use it.

Ealing Broadway, main-line up platform, got a mention from the driver on a stopper that to be extra careful and was quite a gap from the 165 to the platform

Almost every platform on the Down Main (maybe some on the Up too) at intermediate stations between Paddington and Reading appears to have one or more of the following apply to them: Low, uneven, or short. Think it was Iver and Taplow where all three apply.

Clansman

Established Member
It'll be P1, on the inside of the curve, that'll present problems with the 'new' stock. Like I just about remember mk3s on Glasgow-Aberdeen push-pulls here in the early 1980s, 35 years later.... :)

How roles reverse lol... Could always use the trolley ramps?

Just wait until the Scottish HSTs call there en-route to Aberdeen.

Won't make a difference. It will just make a new problem for Platform 1. You can't win...

Last edited:

greaterwest

Established Member
Basingstoke P4 is quite a step into a Voyager or other SWT services which might use it.

I've only ever used XC services at Basingstoke on P4, SWT only use that platform during the peaks (and maybe once or twice during the day) but I can say the step to / from the Voyagers is substantial.

ashworth

Established Member
Gargrave on the Leeds - Carlisle/Morecambe line, used to have platforms that were not much higher than a roadside kerb; there were a couple of sets of wooden steps that were fine when the station was staffed but more recently were useless or dangerous. A few years ago somebody came up with the money (probably a local community group rather than BR/Network Rail) to bring the platforms up to standard height.

Brampton on the East Suffolk line has also always been like that with sets of wooden steps available on the platform. I have elderly relatives whose son lives close within walking distance of Brampton station and when they travel to visit him from Nottingham they would rather him drive to Norwich and meet them there as they are frightened to get on and off at Brampton because of the large drop and the gap. I understand that thousands of pounds has recently been spent on raising the height of the platform at Brampton.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Platform 5 at Shipley is quite a gap due to the mid-doored stock that runs there (321/322/333). When the 308s were running those who were short in the leg at least had the option of choosing a door nearer the carriage ends!

imagination

It's not really much of a gap between the train and the platform but the extent to which the train tilts away from you on platform 1 at Penrith can create a big gap between the platform and the train at head level.

Waldgrun

High Level platforms (No.s 1 & 2) at Portsmouth and Southsea must be in the running for the widest gap. Due to the fact the these platforms are on a reverse curve (s Shaped). One had to perform a flying leap if alighting from doors at the centre of the coach which made up the old slam door unit! I recall there being an incident some years back, where two idiot parents allowed their daughter to open the door and jump out, you can guess where she ended up! Resulted in Local T.V. news coverage, with my feet being filmed by the gap! All the parents needed to do was not allow the child to open the door, but to have assented the situation, and one alighted first, had the children passed to them simple!
But sometimes common sense is lacking!
As for Portsmouth and Southsea don't blame the railways the station the layout of the high level platforms is down to the War Department!

northrob

I'd echo the previous comments about Salford Central and also add Platform 2 at Avonmouth as quite a drop from the train to the platform.

Parallel

Established Member
The Bristol end of Platform 1 at Bath Spa also has a very steep drop/climb between the train and the platform edge too.

Status
Not open for further replies.