• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Largest gap between the train and the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intercity 225

Hi,

I recently disembarked from a 156 at Irlam station and when I stepped off the train was a little surprised by the size of the gap to the platform. It was by no means unsafe but is definitely the largest gap I've come across in the UK. It was because part of the platform has been elevated (presumably to deal with modern stock) whereas the section of the platform my door opened at was not. If you look closely you can see the elevation change here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irlam_railway_station#/media/File:Irlam_railway_station_in_2008.jpg

This has lead me to wonder does anyone know the station with the largest gap between the train and the platform in the UK?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
If you include LU lines, the last time I got off a Central line train at Leytonstone many years ago there was quite a noticeable vertical gap up to the platform from the train.

Adam0984

Ben Rhydding on the Ilkley line Leeds bound and Saltaire on the Skipton line Leeds bound have big gaps

Shimbleshanks

Don't know if it's among the biggest but folks are forever moaning about the gap at pl 1 & 2 at East Croydon.

Veteran Member
If you include LU lines, the last time I got off a Central line train at Leytonstone many years ago there was quite a noticeable vertical gap up to the platform from the train.

Not unique, as any LU station where the platform can be used by tube and sub-surface stock has similar issues, resulting in a compromise height. The Epping line hasn't been used by BR trains for 40-50 years, so I think the track may have been raised.

Among horizontal gaps, Bank Central Line is famous!

Hi,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irlam_railway_station#/media/File:Irlam_railway_station_in_2008.jpg

This has lead me to wonder does anyone know the station with the largest gap between the train and the platform in the UK?

Thanks

There are at least two stations on the Cumbrian coast that use wooden steps to the train. One being the North facing bay at Whitehaven.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There are at least two stations on the Cumbrian coast that use wooden steps to the train. One being the North facing bay at Whitehaven. ** Of course.. this is not A GAP but a step ** # old and daft.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Yeah Nethertown on the Cumbrian Coast requires you to physically jump onto the platform.

kevconnor

Yeah Nethertown on the Cumbrian Coast requires you to physically jump onto the platform.

Alighting at Whitehaven is bad enough, i got off one of the LHCS at Whitehaven last year and it was like descending the north face of the Eiger. If Nethertown station is worse does it stock bungee rope and climbing gear?

Parallel

Established Member
Newton St Cyres on the Barnstaple is very low, though there is now a harrington hump in the middle of the platform.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Don't know if it's among the biggest but folks are forever moaning about the gap at pl 1 & 2 at East Croydon.

Yes, as an OAP I find the one on Platform 2 to be quite challenging, which is another word for dangerous, and that's getting on at East Croydon and being aware of the problem. Getting off with luggage, as many must do from Gatwick, and being unaware, must present real difficulties.

Harbornite

Established Member
The worst I've seen are Aberdovey (which has a Harrington hump) and Worcester Foregate Street.

me123

Established Member
I don't have measurements, but there is a low platform at Dunkeld and Birnam - as you can see, steps are required. A quick google search also reveals Drigg and the already mentioned Aberdovey as also requiring steps up to the platform.

Farringdon Platform 3 [for trains , mainly at the south end (the new section) where there is a tight curve. Towards the back of the train it is OK.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I once had to take a flying leap from a 150 in Platform 7 at Bristol Temple Meads, holding a walking stick as well due arthritis. This was almost at the most extreme point of the curve.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Worcester Foregate Street platform 1 sometimes feels like a chasm when alighting a train.

Philip C

On leaving High Brooms in the morning peak the train announcement would state 'the next stop is Waterloo (East), please mind the gap between the train and the platform'. At about 30 miles I think the gap of which we were warned enables me to claim whatever prize is on offer on this thread.

anti-pacer

Established Member
There are at least two stations on the Cumbrian coast that use wooden steps to the train. One being the North facing bay at Whitehaven.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There are at least two stations on the Cumbrian coast that use wooden steps to the train. One being the North facing bay at Whitehaven. ** Of course.. this is not A GAP but a step ** # old and daft.

Whitehaven's massive gap actually damaged my ex girlfriend's already fragile back.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Alighting at Whitehaven is bad enough, i got off one of the LHCS at Whitehaven last year and it was like descending the north face of the Eiger. If Nethertown station is worse does it stock bungee rope and climbing gear?

Basically the steps on the platform are an absolute necessity. Parton is a challenge too. I left the LHCS there and nearly fell off the train as I misjudged just how low the platform was.

tsr

Established Member
A few Southern ones which haven't been mentioned...
South Croydon (somewhere on each platform)
Salfords (Plat. 1, London end)
Selhurst (Plat. 4)
Norbury (Plat. 1 & 3 - the latter is particularly massive)
Warnham (Plat. 1)
Ockley (Plat. 1 Country end with a 455)
Dormans (Plat. 1)
Ifield

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Middle of platform 4 at Epsom; there was been at least one case a few years ago of the unwary vanishing down it which made the local paper.

dgl

Established Member
Dorchester has a decent sized gap due to the curved platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.