• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Largest place without a coach service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon75

On Moderation
Macclesfield 53,000 and Crewe 73,000 used to have National Express services, but no longer have.

What other large places don't have a coach service (National Express, Flixbus, Megabus, Citylink)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Typhoon

Established Member
Hastings (92, 855) used to have a National Express service (023) but that seems to have bitten the dust. It was pretty much a token even when it was around.

I am assuming 'Events' coaches are excluded. What about London commuter coaches (such as Kings Ferry)?

aliceh

Depending on if you count RailAir, I couldn't find any for Woking (pop. 63k for the town or 100k for the borough). Ashford in Kent (pop 74k).

But the biggest I can find without a scheduled coach service might be Maidstone (pop 155k) - I assume there may be larger towns close to London that also have frequent train services to make coaches rather more pointless.

Smethwickian

Peterborough? Can't find anything there from Flixbus, Megabus or National Express and city council website claims population is 204,000.

MedwayValiant

That figure is for the entire borough. The most recent estiimate for the "urban area" is 180,000.

But how about Southend on Sea? The estimated population of the "urban area" is 310,000 and it has no coach services. The nearest approach would be the X30 service to Stansted Airport via Chelmsford, but First advertise this as a "bus" and it accepts ENCTS so it can't really be considered a coach service. There is no longer a London commuter coach service from Southend.

Strathclyder

Established Member
East Kilbride and Paisley must be contenders for Scotland.
Clydebank must be within a shout too as far as Western Scotland goes. The last regularly scheduled service to be operated by a coach in the town was when First Glasgow's last active coach - Plaxton Paragon-bodied Volvo B12M AO02 RCZ (20508), based out of Dumbarton depot - was used on peak-time workings of 'The One' in late 2016.

Last edited:

Flange Squeal

Established Member
But the biggest I can find without a scheduled coach service might be Maidstone (pop 155k) - I assume there may be larger towns close to London that also have frequent train services to make coaches rather more pointless.
I think Maidstone still has the weekday route 774 scheduled commuter coach service, operated by The Kings Ferry (part of National Express) to Canary Wharf, Bank and Westminster.

johncrossley

Established Member
Peterborough? Can't find anything there from Flixbus, Megabus or National Express and city council website claims population is 204,000.

It used to be on the route to Mablethorpe. Did that run immediately before Covid? If so, maybe it will be back.

Clydebank must be within a shout too as far as Western Scotland goes. The last regularly scheduled service to be operated by a coach in the town was when First Glasgow's last active coach - Plaxton Paragon-bodied Volvo B12M AO02 RCZ (20508), based out of Dumbarton depot - was used on peak-time workings of 'The One' in late 2017.
East Kilbride and Paisley must be contenders for Scotland.

Paisley and Clydebank are joined to Glasgow by continue urbanisation so I wouldn't count them.

Status
Not open for further replies.