• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Largest town without a Saturday train service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
Continuing the abject failure of Northern/RMT to run trains on Saturdays, which are the largest towns in England without a Saturday train service during the industrial dispute?

There are three variants to the question.

1. Largest town with no Saturday train service and no rail replacement bus service?

2. Largest town served on a Saturday only served by a rail replacement bus service?

3. Largest town served on a Saturday with only a token, strike day service operating?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm confused as to why they are running RR buses at all. Not normally something that is required of the train operating companies during industrial action.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I'm confused as to why they are running RR buses at all. Not normally something that is required of the train operating companies during industrial action.
Perhaps to avoid being in breach of contract to those customers who bought a ticket before the strike was announced, without resorting to the more expensive option of taxis?

dk1

Veteran Member
Perhaps to avoid being in breach of contract to those customers who bought a ticket before the strike was announced, without resorting to the more expensive option of taxis?
Yes I could be. I'm not sure on how that stands to be honest in the conditions of carriage. Never known taxis being agreed before.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Yes I could be. I'm not sure on how that stands to be honest in the conditions of carriage. Never known taxis being agreed before.
Perhaps because either the TOCs you are familiar with make proper arrangements, or because it's so unknown that they always breach their contracts!

Ianigsy

Burnley must be in with a shout as the largest town with no trains as such- only replacement buses between Blackburn and Colne.

I see Bradford FS has a service again this weekend- the credit card bills must have arrived.

Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
This must be one of the few threads "Stations without a specific service" that can't include Denton.

scrapy

Established Member
Southport pop 90,000 only has 4 Northern train services today. All the Merseyrail services are buses.

Altfish

What is the position of the Parliamentary Train that runs Stalybridge to Stockport Saturday's only.
Has that been running?
Doesn't it legally have to run son many times a year?

317 forever

Established Member
Halifax has had no Saturday trains recently. Mind you, services from Leeds to Rochdale via Bradford, Halifax and Hebden Bridge are duplicated by First buses 72, 576 & 590.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Could the ticket office have been required to stay open just for Grand Central?
What would be the point? The ticket machines would still exist to serve the majority of customers, and in any case, buying on board is sanctioned on GC and HT.

Andyh82

Established Member
Halifax has had no Saturday trains recently. Mind you, services from Leeds to Rochdale via Bradford, Halifax and Hebden Bridge are duplicated by First buses 72, 576 & 590.
The vast majority of the time Halifax has had a service, and when they didn’t there were replacement buses.

Ianigsy

What would be the point? The ticket machines would still exist to serve the majority of customers, and in any case, buying on board is sanctioned on GC and HT.

When I came back from London on Grand Central last Saturday, there were three or four Northern staff on duty at Bradford Interchange - one in the ticket office, two on the barrier and one to tell people that there weren't any more departures. There were actually about 20-30 punters at Halifax.

Status
Not open for further replies.