Trivia: Largest towns/cities in Great Britain without a direct rail link to London

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Jorge Da Silva, 29 Oct 2018.

1. Jorge Da Silva

Jorge Da Silva Established Member

Could not find a list online or here so decided to create one. Whats are the largest towns without a direct timetabled link to London?
    • Includes towns with no rail station
    • Excludes suburbs of a city

Last edited: 30 Oct 2018
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. SwindonBert

SwindonBert Member

I would suggest Salford

4. Lemmy99uk

Lemmy99uk Member

I think Bolton trumps Salford in population size.

5. 6Gman

6Gman Established Member

Belfast.

6. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Paisley

7. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Huddersfield, Barnsley, Blackburn and Middlesbrough always crop up when this topic comes around. An awkward thing is defining what you mean by "largest" (population or land area, or density?) and where you get those figures from. For example Huddersfield is sometimes given the population figures for the whole borough of Kirklees which also includes Dewsbury and Batley along with significant places in between. It also means it DOES have a direct London service, albeit from Mirfield rather than Huddersfield.

8. SteveOfTheStow

SteveOfTheStow Member

In the interest of minimising 'smart' answers, I suggest the OP constrain the question to largest towns or cities on the Great Britain mainland (i.e. those it is technically possible to access at the present time via National Rail), otherwise I fear that Tokyo will crop up soon.

9. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

As the former two are part of Greater Manchester and the latter part of the urban area of Glasgow I would argue that these can can be discounted as they are effectively suburbs.

10. tonysk14

tonysk14 Member

I would suggest that calling the city of Salford a suberb of Manchester is not a very safe thing to do.

11. 61653 HTAFC

However it is accurate in practical terms. Bolton less so, as it is a stand-alone town by almost every measure. It's no more a suburb of Manchester than Reading is a suburb of London or Huddersfield a suburb of Leeds.

12. Dr Hoo

Dr Hoo Established Member

From a ‘local authority’ perspective (rather than individual cities and towns) Wirral must be up there. population around 320,000.

13. Teflon Lettuce

Teflon Lettuce Established Member

what about Mumbai or Beijing? aren't they bigger than Tokyo?:D

14. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Like Paisley is no more a suburb of Glasgow, a town in its own right which is near Glasgow.

-----

Stockton-on-Tees

15. 61653 HTAFC

My only reason for not commenting on Paisley was a lack of local knowledge. Salford on the other hand is a weird one, being right next to the urban centre of Manchester.

16. humbersidejim

humbersidejim Member

Indeed a 15/20 minute brisk walk from Piccadilly and you're over the Irwell into Salford.

Perhaps a fairer parameter would be towns without a direct link and not within X miles of a settlement that does.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2018
  17. cf111

cf111 Established Member

Different local authority, different county, different postcode, different Sheriffdom ... I would say Paisley is a town in its own right.

18. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

These threads always reduce to an argument about what counts as ‘a place’.
    Gateshead is a bit like Salford isn’t it. People of Gateshead just use Newcastle.
    IIRC Gosport came up in a previous thread, but it’s only a quarter mile from Portsmouth Harbour, so what’s the real issue?

19. humbersidejim

humbersidejim Member

I'd certainly speak up for the combined towns of Cleethorpes, Grimsby and Scunthorpe along the South Humberside mainline.

Grand Central has publicly discussed submitting a proposal to run 4 return services a day via Doncaster, potentially splitting/joining their Bradford service.

Apparently this application is delayed pending a review of track access charges, but at this point I will defer to more knowledgeable forum members.

20. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

Not quite: The thread doesn't specify that it has to be a rail link. Both of those have air links.

21. Teflon Lettuce

Teflon Lettuce Established Member

yes it does

22. uww11x

uww11x Member

Tweedbank? Basically covers the whole Scottish Borders

23. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

The title has been edited since I made my post.

24. Jorge Da Silva

Jorge Da Silva Established Member

Made title more specific.

25. adrock1976

adrock1976 Established Member

I can tell you that Paisley is not in anyway a suburb of Glasgow (also my partner can confirm as well, as she is originally from Paisley), and it is a post town in its own right. The PA postcode area is centred around Paisley, while Glasgow has G codes with the range being G1 to G53 within the city council area. G60 to G84 covers the suburbs in Dunbartonshire, parts of Lanarkshire, and East Renfrewshire (former Eastwood District).

Anybody who stands in County Square or at Paisley Cross and mentions that Paisley is part of Glasgow would see themselves dragged to the Gallow Green (once famous for burning witches in medieval times), hung, flogged, and have genitalia chopped off. The natives of Glasgow are referred to as Weegies, with the natives of Paisley being referred to Buddies (also the nickname of St Mirren FC - the one and only club where Alex Ferguson got the boot in 1978 after the directors lost patience).

26. trainmania100

trainmania100 Established Member

Newport (Isle of Wight) is quite big although probably small compared to mainland England cities

27. bionic

bionic Member

The Wirral.

28. cuccir

cuccir Established Member

For this sort of question I think why not go with the experts? The ONS define 'built-up areas' aka conurbations and I think this gets best at the spirit of this sort of question, rather than local authority boundaries. You can explore the boundaries on a map here.

To that end, Teeside is the biggest without a London service at 376,000 - Eaglescliffe falls close to but outside the ONS' boundary. Birkenhead is next; Barnsley third.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2018
  29. ijmad

ijmad Established Member

Scarborough
    Grimsby

Not the biggest, but well known places.

30. Justapunter

Justapunter Member

Bolton's services have been ruined in the last few years. I used to get direct trains from Oxford home, I could get to Kensington Olympia, bournemouth, Weymouth, Glasgow, Nottingham, Birmingham, even East Anglia And maybe Devon as well.

Now it's slow old boring connecting trains and bolton is clearly being downgraded in terms of service offering. It's a large independent town being turned into nothing more than a Manchester conurbation dormitory town

31. Birkonian

Birkonian Member

Time to resurrect Birkenhead Woodside to Paddington.