Trivia: Largest towns/cities in Great Britain without a direct rail link to London

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Jorge Da Silva, 29 Oct 2018.

1. Jorge Da Silva

Jorge Da Silva Established Member

Not regularly. Apparently there is a number of summer weekend services but other than that no.

Yes

No. Stopped in December 2008

2. gord

gord Member

Thank you. Wow, I really am behind with the times, particularly Llandudno.

3. Alfonso

Alfonso Member

Seeing as this is pedants' corner, is it worth mentioning that the city of Westminster has pretty poor mainline rail links to the city of London? No? I'll get my anorak...

4. InOban

InOban Established Member

And London Luton, Stansted and Gatwick Airports aren't in London. For obvious reasons very few major airports will be within the conventional boundaries of their city. There is a (narrow) strip of green belt separating Paisley from Glasgow.

5. BigCj34

BigCj34 Member

Mansfield does not appear to. Barrow is worth a mention though it is certainly not the biggest.

6. Scousemouse

Scousemouse Member

Doesnt Chester count for the Wirral?

7. Scousemouse

Scousemouse Member

Sandwell and Dudley?

8. paul1609

paul1609 Established Member

So presumably it should be Glasgow Paisley Airport?
    The Green Belt also appears to have several holes in it according to the OS Maps.

9. kieron

kieron Established Member

From a 'local authority' perspective, no. I'm pretty sure it doesn't count from a 'peninsula' perspective, either.
    That's not in Dudley according to the ONS map someone mentioned. I have no idea if Cradley Heath is meant to be, though.

10. Smethwickian

Smethwickian Member

Cradley Heath is in the borough of Sandwell. Stations within Dudley metropolitan borough are Coseley, Lye, Stourbridge Junction and Stourbridge Town.

11. InOban

InOban Established Member

And indeed the local authority boundary is much further towards Glasgow (Braehead shopping centre is just inside Renfrewshire)

12. vlad

vlad Member

You realise Newcastle isn't part of the Manchester/Salford conurbation, right? :smile:

13. route101

route101 Established Member

Biggest town in Scotland , used to have service to London .

East Kilbride is another .

14. route101

route101 Established Member

If you take train from Glasgow to Paisley stations theres farmland but im sure its surrounded by urban development .

15. Class 172 Fan

Class 172 Fan Member

Dudley is the largest town with no railway within its traditional township border.

Both Sandwell and Dudley, Cradley Heath and Rowley Regis are in the borough of Sandwell, not the borough of Dudley.

Stourbridge Town and Junction was built to serve the former Stourbridge borough in Worcestershire (Even though it's now an outpost of the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley.)

16. Cherry_Picker

Cherry_Picker Established Member

The Hawthorns, right outside West Bromwich Albion FC has a direct service to London .

17. kieron

kieron Established Member

Sorry, I realise that wasn't very clear. I wasn't looking at local authority boundaries for that definition of Dudley, but the blobs on the map I gave a link to. That includes the pattern in the attached file, with Dudley and Cradley Heath in blue, but none of the surrounding area highlighted. I don't know how many towns the ONS think are in that blob, though.
    Actually, I'm wondering about Newcastle-under-Lyme now. The council boundary appears to run along the railway near Longport station, with the Station Street entrance being in Stoke-on-Trent borough, and the Longbridge Hayes Road one in Newcastle-under-Lyme borough. Does the station itself cross the boundary?

Of course, Longport doesn't get London trains very often.

Attached Files:

• map.pdf
      File size:
      698.1 KB
      Views:
  18. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

Not the largest, but St. Helens (about 102,000 for the traditional borough; more if you include the bits dragged (sometimes unwillingly) into it in 1974 has no direct service to London. Nearby Widnes (60,000) also has no London service.

19. BluePenguin

BluePenguin On Moderation

Croydon is not a city it is a town in Surrey which is now considered Greater/South London by many because of the council who now run the area

It is very easy to categorise everywhere inside the M25 as being part of "Greater London" although Croydon, Stratford and Acton will always have those of us who stand by our belives that these towns still remain geographically Surrey, Essex and Middlesex respectively.

20. USBT

USBT Member

Yet another great piece of trivia that will be ruined when Crossrail opens.

But true. Since the Thameslink project ended the possibility of the occasional Charing Cross to Cannon Street service I’m pretty sure you’re right.

And, if the “London” in question is the City of London, then the answer must be Birmingham. <D

21. A Challenge

A Challenge Established Member

Considering it leaves only a few (non-long-distance) London Terminals in London...

22. USBT

USBT Member

Precisely. hehe!

(Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Cannon Street, Fenchurch Street, Liverpool Street and Moorgate).

23. LeeLivery

LeeLivery Established Member

Yes, it's the Potteries conurbation but the same kind of situation...

I believe it the river is the boundary so I don't think it does.

I'm guessing Strasbourg is still in Germany and Berwick is still in Scotland then. Boundaries change, they always have. At one point Sydenham was in Kent and Peterborough was in Northamptonshire. No one seriously suggests they are still in those counties because they aren't. I don't categorise everywhere inside of the M25 as Greater London - only the places that are factually Greater London. You may not like it, but to suggest otherwise is just wrong and is living in the past.

24. A Challenge

A Challenge Established Member

Part of Greater London is outside the M25 anyway.

25. Chris172

Chris172 Member

Droitwich Spa

26. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

Plenty of towns in the northeast on the list. In addition to those mentioned up-thread add Blyth, Ashington, Washington, Peterlee, Consett, Bishop Auckland, Spennymoor, etc.

27. AlastairFraser

AlastairFraser Member

I don't know about that, Reading to London the long way via Bracknell is pretty continuous in terms of urban development and I think Bracknell is actually in the London Urban areas. Paisley is probably a separate satellite town of Glasgow in my mind,like Woking is to London.Or maybe somewhere like East Kilbride but not a New Town for a better comparison

28. robertclark125

robertclark125 Established Member

Someone mentioned East Kilbride. Of the five Scottish "New towns" created after WW2, none of them have a direct rail link to London. Glenrothes doesn't have a railway station, Markinch being the nearest as is Glenrothes with Thornton.

29. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Great Yarmouth lost its last direct Summer Saturday services in 2015. These where loco hauled & removed in favour of more frequent & regular fast local services. The last 170 operated weekday service finished around 2011.

Lowestoft also lost its 170 direct trains via the East Suffolk in 2011, however 4 per day are expected to start again using 755 units in either December 2019 or most likely May 2020.

30. Jorge Da Silva

Jorge Da Silva Established Member

Yep from what I gather from December 2004 until December 2010 there were direct services between Liverpool Street to Peterborough, Lowestoft, Bury St Edmunds and Cambridge via Ipswich.