• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Largest towns served by just one TOC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cambus731

Colchester must be up there as well. I first thought of Chelmsford or Maidstone, but Colchester is slighter larger.

I remember when a lot of Cross Country trains terminated at Poole. Although I believe that was more to do with operational convenience. Do Cross Country no longer serve Poole at all now?

Just realised I overlooked Ipswich which is larger than Colchester

Last edited:

Cambus731

Google suggests that they all terminate at Bournemouth now. I wasn't even aware they used to serve Poole. :D
Maybe it was longer ago than I thought. Probably when it was Intercity Cross Country. I think they went to Poole as it was easier for the spoon to change ends there.

Just had a look on Wikipedia and it looks like Swindon and Northampton are about equal in size. Both about 220,000.
TBH I thought Northampton was about the same size as Chelmsford/Maidstone/Colchester, ie about 120,000, but it turns out to be much bigger than I thought.
Ipswich is smaller than I thought., but still bigger than Colchester.

Do no Avanti West Coast trains call at Northampton at all? I thought maybe about 2 a day did?

Last edited:

Cambus731

So it looks like Swindon is the winner?
Is it only served by Great Western?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Maybe it was longer ago than I thought. Probably when it was Intercity Cross Country. I think they went to Poole as it was easier for the spoon to change ends there.
The last regular XC Poole service was about 2002/3, they hadn't really allowed any turn round time in the Princess timetable and it was so unreliable it was curtailed to Bournemouth.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Bolton is very close, except for the handful.of TPE calls each day.

sk688

Gateshead
Maidstone maybe ?

Do XC still call at Weston-S-M ? If not then that might count too

Revilo

XC don’t currently serve it (but hopefully will again), but Weston S M population only 71,000

GLC

East Kilbride is about 75k and is only served by Scotrail. Paisley is 77k and I can’t think of any TOCs other than Scotrail

Western Sunset

Established Member
During most of the lockdowns, Poole has only been served by an hourly Weymouth - Bournemouth shuttle. Not even any through trains to London.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Gateshead
Interesting one - certainly it has a large population (the borough is bigger than Swindon but the town is smaller). However, there's the slightly odd Scotrail/Northern service which runs from Dumfries in the morning peak and calls at Blaydon, MetroCentre, and Dunston - I think it's classed as Northern east of Carlisle but might be a little ambiguous. I know there used to be through trains from the MetroCentre to Glasgow via Kilmarnock which I believe were ScotRail throughout, but I think they went a couple of years back.

urbophile

Established Member
I wouldn’t class Bidston as Birkenhead to be honest although it probably is officially.
If you're going by local authority boundaries Wirral borough encompasses Birkenhead, Bidston and the majority of the Wirral peninsula (certainly most of the populated bit apart from Ellesmere Port and Neston.)

I think the answer to the OPs question, as already stated, is likely to be Swindon. But another one high on that list will be High Wycombe. The most up to date figures I can find (as of 2019) put it at about 140,000 for the 'High Wycombe Urban Area'.

Alfie1014

Just had a look on Wikipedia and it looks like Swindon and Northampton are about equal in size. Both about 220,000.
TBH I thought Northampton was about the same size as Chelmsford/Maidstone/Colchester, ie about 120,000, but it turns out to be much bigger than I thought.
Ipswich is smaller than I thought., but still bigger than Colchester.
121,000 seems to be the Wikipedia figure Colchester, whereas Colchester Borough Council quote 194,000 https://www.colchester.gov.uk/info/cbc-article/?catid=colchester-statistics&id=KA-01631

It certainly was reported as the fastest growing town in England in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.