• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Last stations to have early BR or older signage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Several stations along the Cotswold Line have GWR-style nameboards. Some are modern recreations (Pershore, Charlbury platform 1). Charlbury platform 2 has recently-ish been spruced up - if you look for images online you can clearly see a change in the typeface, with the 'hole' in the A becoming much larger; I'm not sure how much of that is repair and how much is replacement. I think Kingham platform 2 might be original.

Until a couple of years ago there was an information board at Charlbury with Regional Railways stripes. These have now been replaced with GWR colours, but this was always a slightly unusual survival given that the Regional Railways corporate ID appears to have been introduced in 1990/1991, only a couple of years before the Cotswold Line was transferred to Network South East.

James Street in Liverpool has various bits of near original signage, posters etc mostly on platform 2 (which is generally only used in emergencies) but also in other parts of the station. Some of it was uncovered during refurbishment so had been there for maybe 100 years but had been covered up for a long period of that time.

Established Member
They're not original, but to add to our list there's the amazing array of nameboard styles old and new at Handforth.

Doomotron

Not completely BR, but I'm pretty sure that Deal station on the Kent Coast has still got NSE signage, but it might be another station on the line. Also, Folkestone East still has it and Shakespeare Cliff Halt probably as well.

Bedpan

Established Member
There's also this quite well-known sign at Dawlish in Devon; a similar style one also exists further along the main line at Totnes.View attachment 59199
Looks a bit odd in blue though. My recollection is that most if not all GWR signs were black as the High Wycombe and Hanwell examples pictured after the Dawlish one. Were there any examples of blue signs in GWR days, i.e. could the dawlish one be authentic?

341o2

Established Member
Of course there are also the totems at Lymington Town and Lymington Pier, but they don't really count as they were put there in 2005 to coincide with the introduction of the two heritage liveried 3-CIG EMUs (which were withdrawn in 2010, but AFAIK the totems still survive).

Beat me to it. Island line, I believe at least Esplanade and St John's Road have totem style signs

The 'Gunnislake Bay' (Platform 3) at Plymouth has reproduction BR(W) totems whilst the L & L station at Liskeard is fully bedecked in BR(W) signage. The running-in boards at Dawlish and Totnes are original - they have had various liveries over the years - Dawlish is in FGW livery at present. Lostwithiel also has one on the up platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.