• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Last thing you ate on a train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
A meal from Burger King on an East Midlands Trains Class 156 last Friday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
A Bacon Double XL and a portion of Chicken Strips on a Northern Class 153.

Established Member
A bowl (the new walkers things) on a pendo back from Glasgow yesterday

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Blindtraveler

Established Member
A strange sandwitch, strange in as much as it was almost totally devoid of filling on a pendo a couple of weeks ago. No thanks to the shop who sold me it but all creddit to the onboard shop who came to my rescue with shortbread, tea and a cheez/tomato panini. These are vvvv good BTW

Red Dragon

My hat - when a very old Scottish friend bought me some liquid refreshment on the 1305 from Kings X to Leeds !

There's a first time for everything. :lol:

robbeech

Established Member
A sausage and egg sandwich and a hot chocolate on the 1630 GCR Service from Leicester North to Loughborough, double headed with steam locos 6990 and 70013. 4 sausages and 2 eggs too, i didn't want my tea when i got in.
Forum member 'theblackwatch' was also in the area that day, i spotted him from afar at Loughborough earlier in the day.

dave87016

Established Member
A Really delicious Hotpot from York to Newcastle on a 91 and on the return journey on a HST a delicious cheese Ploughmans filled artisan baguette both were bought from the VTEC foodbar

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
A lovely breakfast on the WAG Express from Hereford to Newport.

Attachments

• 20161205_090254.jpg
    20161205_090254.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 29

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
You must have had to eat that quickly! :lol:

It was served within 5 minutes of leaving Hereford. I wondered if it was because if reserved a seat so they knew I was coming.

You don't always get a breakfast on this journey, but it does seem that making a reservation helps.

Edit: going to do the Plymouth Pullman tomorrow, so will report on the lunch

Last edited:

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I envy you your WAG breakfast and Pulman lunch.

I'm sorry - I should have put a description in :)

Sauteed mushrooms, fried egg, bacon, sausage, beans, grilled tomato, toast and black pudding. And coffee to wash it all down. Mmmm. I'm still a bit full.

Established Member
I had a Chicken Big King and a portion of chicken strips from Burger King on an EMT Class 158 on Saturday. It was delicious.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Well, what a farce. I caught the 10.00 from Penzance towards Paddington to have lunch when it came on at Plymouth. Sat down at the table and was just about to order some wine when the crew came up to tell me the ovens (plural) weren't working so I couldn't have anything hot.

So I jumped off at Taunton to catch the next London train, which is also a Pullman. Boiler broken on that one, so no service.

So I'm now 0 for 3 on Pullman trains. Will have another chance next Monday!

So in the spirit of this thread, today I had black coffee and popcorn.

Iskra

Established Member
Salmon Starter, Steak Main, Chocolate Cheesecake dessert courtesy of the WAG. Couldn't ID the loco on the Northbound working though if anyone can help? I assume 67022 as that's what it was this morning.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
At last. Forth time lucky on the Pullman. Very nice lunch on the 12.05 Paddington to Penzance.

For those of you who don't see the images (including a certain Pacer-loving member), the meal was:

Starter: Chicken Tikka Kebab
Main: Steak, served Medium Rare (and done properly, I'm glad to say)
Dessert: Cheeseboard
Washed done with some very nice Cotes do Rhone :D

Attachments

• 20161212_125036.jpg
    20161212_125036.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20161212_132225.jpg
    20161212_132225.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20161212_121902.jpg
    20161212_121902.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 32

Ash Bridge

Established Member
That really does look nice, lovely presentation too, I'm very envious! Glad you got lucky in the end though, looks like it was well worth the perseverance :)

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
That really does look nice, lovely presentation too, I'm very envious! Glad you got lucky in the end though, looks like it was well worth the perseverance :)

Yeah - worth doing. But very expensive, so you'd better save up! The WAG express is much better value - the upgrades are particularly cheap, given the meal.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Do you have to book the WAG upgrade ahead and also is there any sort of restrictions as to what ticket types are upgradable?

That all now said I must try the GWR one before the 2nd Gen Voyagers come in and make such a service no more than memories/pictures on the forum.

To go back down to earth, I enjoyed some sarnies on a Pendo, chicken nuggets and chips on the Bakerloo, breakfast pastries and cookies on a Croydon Tram and some fla,ing hot Monstermunch on the Victoria Line over the course of the weekend.

trainophile

Established Member
Do you have to book the WAG upgrade ahead and also is there any sort of restrictions as to what ticket types are upgradable?

When I was waiting in Hereford station one morning recently, the overhead display was scrolling against the 0858 to Cardiff something like "Upgrade available including cooked breakfast, ask the Guard" - so I'd guess the answer to your question is no you don't have to book ahead.

Not sure if Advances would qualify though, but you could always "ask the Guard" :lol: .

Status
Not open for further replies.