• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Last thing you ate on a train

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiftFan

The other week I had a cup of tea and a flapjack on the 19:00 From Paddington to Westbury. It was a fairly good cuppa, too.

I have been put off slightly when people eat a KFC on a train, I am sure that is the most pungent of all foods to be eaten in a closed space?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MG11

Walker's Grab Bag Cheese & Onion Crisps & A Foster's Can, bought from the trolley on an XC service between Derby & Nottingham

Big Tim

Most of my journeys have been short haul York - Leeds / Dewsbury / Newcastle lately, so have eaten at home or on arrival at my destination, so I don't suppose a can of diet Pepsi or a "Tic-Tac" or two are worth reporting.

I made a journey from York - Dundee on Friday 5th January in first on VTEC (0737 departure). Great British Breakfast was good (silver served - the front loco was badged up as the "Highland Chieftain" - so whether this was out of the ordinary I don't know, but normally on this departure the breakfasts are plated in the kitchen), however the "toast famine" was in evidence (see the lengthy VTEC First Class Thread if this has gone over your head) - as indeed was any evidence whatsoever of the bakery basket and it's contents (when you're asked for your main breakfast order, it would be nice to know on the occasions that there's no bakery basket following - the chap across from me was less than amused after only ordering porridge to find he couldn't have a slice of toast - or indeed anything else, while others around him were chowing down on a hearty cooked brekkie).

However, on the post-Edinburgh leg, the lunch offering of Beef Rendang was "a bit naughty" - I suppose having ordered on departure at Inverkeithing, and only being served as we trundled onto the Tay Bridge it was never going to be the best experience - when we departed Leuchars and there was no imminent sign of food coming, I had started to gather my bags, put on my coat etc with the end of the line for me at Dundee only ten minutes or so away. (Seemingly, my choice was the very last of the hot options to leave the kitchen - sausage rolls came first, - around about Kirkcaldy, followed by the veggie option hot on their heels, but the beef appeared quite some time later - I was seated at L65, so close to the kitchen). The meat content, while fairly plentiful (in terms of the overall size of the meal), was rather "hard going" (leathery, as if it hadn't been cooked for long enough) - shame, as the rest of the dish (aside from the cold packet Naan bread) wasn't bad at all. (Could the cold naans have been destined for the toaster, which had been non-existent on the earlier part of the service?). To be pedantic, the last thing I actually ate when leaving the train was one of my own Trebor Extra Strong Mints ... but to just relate that would have been even more dull than this critique!

Last edited:

GW43125

Established Member
Had a wagon wheel on my 707 home today.
Knew you were interested. :p

backontrack

Established Member
I can't remember the chronologically most recent thing I ate on a train - but I do remember some very nice Yorkshire Sauce-flavoured Yorkshire Crisps, which myself and my family shared alongside some Thomas the Baker's cheese straws on a Meridian service from York to St Pancras...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
A Chicken and Pepper Wrap on a Virgin Trains HST last weekend.

It was very nice actually :)

DasLunatic

A bag of apple flavoured liquorice, from Lakeland. That stuff is well worth the £3.50 and going a mile out of the way of everything...

GW43125

Established Member
A throat sweet.

Let’s see what I get on the plane tomorrow

GW43125

Established Member
Oh my god I need one of those so bad right now my throat is killing me.

I took tonnes of the things. If you’re blocked up, the pressure differential in a plane does not do it much good at all

Status
Not open for further replies.