• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia; Legal free rides other than Heathrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
As it says, are there any other parts of the network where you can legally ride between stations for free, as I think you can between Heathrow's terminals?

Even temporary ones, maybe a footbridge has closed for repairs and the only other way across a river is the train? Personally I can't think of any, but I'm not the expert!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fireftrm

When the Workington road bridge wass wept away by the floods of 2009 a temporary station was built at Workington North and free rail travel between Workington and Maryport until the bridge was reopened

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Occasionally, when a new line opens, the first day is yrun as a free trial.

For example, when Metrolink opened to Droylsden, local residents were sent a lettee wntitling them to exclusive free travel on a 'preview' day.

Howardh

Established Member
Occasionally, when a new line opens, the first day is yrun as a free trial.

For example, when Metrolink opened to Droylsden, local residents were sent a lettee wntitling them to exclusive free travel on a 'preview' day.
Ah, can I give a hint to "Northern" when our electric lines are switched on?

**Absurd dreamland**

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Ah, can I give a hint to "Northern" when our electric lines are switched on?

**Absurd dreamland**

Problem with an existing line is you'll get a load of season ticket holders moaning that they're still paying whilst non-regulars get a free ride!

Howardh

Established Member
Problem with an existing line is you'll get a load of season ticket holders moaning that they're still paying whilst non-regulars get a free ride!
True, but in the past when there has been disruption (at the time) Northern Rail offered everyone something like a £10 all-day off-peak network ticket; I got three and used it to take the old folks for a day trip, on a working day too. So it's not impossible to "thank" the suffering public a day's free ride throughout the network - and show off the new, shiny second-hand electric trains. If it's off-peak most season ticket holders would lose nothing; and gain a ticket for a weekend.
But I think northern will do something the month the lines open, probably not free but discount tickets.

Anyhow, although not a train, you don't need a rail ticket to get the free link bus from Piccadilly to Victoria; and there's also a free round-town bus @ Bolton for rail and non-rail users.

route:oxford

Established Member
As it says, are there any other parts of the network where you can legally ride between stations for free, as I think you can between Heathrow's terminals?

Even temporary ones, maybe a footbridge has closed for repairs and the only other way across a river is the train? Personally I can't think of any, but I'm not the expert!

Between Glasgow Queen Street & Glasgow Central? I think technically you have to show a ticket.

For me the regular one is between Bridge of Allan and Edinburgh Park on a Sunday - but that's only due to Scotrail Policy of not allowing their machines to sell an Airport Ticket and the on-train staff are often unable to sell a ticket to the airport - so (legally) instruct the passenger to purchase at destination - where there are no staff to sell.

cuccir

Established Member
During the Olympics, ticket holders for events in London (ie not regional football, Weymouth or Essex) received a free travel card for the day of the event.

Shimbleshanks

The funicular railway at the end of the London Millennium Bridge? Broadening the definitation of railway, the shuttles at Gatwick and Birmingham airports - possibly others as well.

Polarbear

Established Member
There's a network of three bus routes in Manchester city centre that connect Piccadilly, Victoria and Deansgate, which are all free.

joshdavey

It’s a bit of a get-out, but anywhere within 35 minutes of Heathrow would qualify as long as you turned around and went back again.

And of course, any station on the network in the early hours of January 1st, each year.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Stretching it a bit, but when North Woolwich station was still open it was only a hundred yards or so from the Woolwich Free Ferry, which took you to a point in Woolwich not so far from Woolwich Dockyard station.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The funicular railway at the end of the London Millennium Bridge? Broadening the definitation of railway, the shuttles at Gatwick and Birmingham airports - possibly others as well.

Very broad indeed as neither of them run on rails! Same goes for the Heathrow T5-ABC shuttle.

Hophead

Established Member
Last time I went to the football at the Amex Stadium, my match ticket entitled me to free public transport to and from Falmer. The northern boundary was Haywards Heath (I presume Lewes & Shoreham formed the eastern and western limits).

Howardh

Established Member
Wouldn't mind a ride up that funicular - is it only for disabled/elderly/wheelchairs? Although watching it on youtube, the free ride on the lift at my local Debenhams is longer! Does a lift count as a railway as presumably most are rail-guided as they rise up and down?

As for Heathrow, if you use the tube to get from (say) T2 to T4 - what happens, do you go to the station and tap in then out but it registers no charge? Or can you simply walk on and off at your destination?

Shimbleshanks

Wouldn't mind a ride up that funicular - is it only for disabled/elderly/wheelchairs? Although watching it on youtube, the free ride on the lift at my local Debenhams is longer! Does a lift count as a railway as presumably most are rail-guided as they rise up and down?

No, I've used it, and I have full use of all my legs and arms (except on Friday nights). There's no one there to control entry and exit. I guess lifts don't count as they're vertical.

Wirewiper

At the three Heathrow Airport stations, Heathrow Express/Heathrow Connect have open entry and exit to the platforms so you simply walk in and out. The Underground stations have ticket barriers, touching in at one and out at one of the others will register a zero fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.