• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Less obvious stations on a through route where passenger services terminate/start

Status
Not open for further replies.

philthetube

Established Member
Chalfont and Latimer, used to have one every half hour, (the Chesham shuttle), but now one a week on a Sunday night, comes down from Chesham in service then does a Rusty Rail move empty to Amersham.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave W

Upper Holloway on the GOBLIN line.
Meridian Water for the moment - trains terminate in an area which is basically a building site with half a dozen passengers perhaps and the gates always left open.

the way it’s going that’s might all it ever be.

If we’re saying Upper Holloway then we surely must include South Tottenham too :smile:

AY1975

Established Member
In TransPennine Express's current coronavirus key worker timetable there's a 07.08 Oxenholme-Manchester Piccadilly (nothing terminating at Oxenholme northbound, though).

Obviously Oxenholme has historically been the terminus for Windermere branch trains whenever it has operated as a self-contained Oxenholme-Windermere shuttle (which I think it generally did in BR days and on occasions since privatisation), but I'm not aware of any trains on the West Coast Main Line ever having regularly started or terminated at Oxenholme.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there used to be a St Annes-on-Sea to Greenbank service via Manchester Piccadilly

AY1975

Established Member
South Western Railway is running an hourly Virginia Water-Weybridge shuttle in its coronavirus timetable. AFAIK trains don't normally start or terminate at Virginia Water.

I seem to recall that for at least one summer timetable period in about 1988/89 there was a once daily summer weekdays only Barnes-Poole train. Not sure what type of rolling stock was used for this service.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
...Meridian Water for the moment - trains terminate in an area which is basically a building site with half a dozen passengers perhaps and the gates always left open.
But surely Meridian Water was designed and built specifically as a 3 platform station to allow for the extra shuttle service terminating there?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the 06:38 SE service peak special from Dumpton Park to Cannon St. Not only a terrible sounding name, but only 3 minutes away from Ramsgate.

bishdunster

If we're going back in time, then in the 50s there was at least one Gillingham-Rainham short working which would have been shorter; on the ex SR Fawkham (now Longfield), Kings Nympton, Brentor, Idmiston Halt, Broad Clyst, Semley and Wool would also qualify as unlikely termini, plus Binegar on the ex SDJR.
Ah but Wool had, and still has , the nearby Bovington army camp. Also on the waterloo to weymouth line in the 70s there were a lot of Saturdays only football specials terminating at Pokesdown for Bournemouths Dean Park ground, including the infamous "leagueliner" trains complete with on board disco coach 8-).

Veteran Member
I would assume they mean the Gillingham in Kent. Also the Rainham in Kent (rather than the one in London/Essex
Indeed I did. I thought "short working" made it obvious :)

Ah but Wool had, and still has , the nearby Bovington army camp.
True, but public trains didn't terminate there. Except for the 5.45pm from Wareham, which ran in the early 50s mainly for workers at the Holton Heath government establishment; it later ran through to Dorchester.

Last edited:

chefchenko

There's a Saturday evening service terminating/starting at St.Annes-on-the-Sea on the Blackpool South line. This used to operate M-F too. Obviously turns here for operational convenience on single line beyond Kirkham.

Used to be the same thing west side of the Pennines - hourly stopping trains between Man Victoria and Greenfield in the daytime supported by GMPTE, but pretty much impossible to get a local train through Standedge Tunnel to Marsden.

In similar vein, Merseyside PTE at one time funded an hourly Lime St to Garswood DMU, which fitted in between the hourly Lime St/Wigan NW trains (in an era when Garswood was very quiet in the off-peak)
Stockport. Does anything other than the Denton line parly train terminate there?
Last northern stopper from stoke terminates Stockport , I assume to go in the sidings

Dave W

In TransPennine Express's current coronavirus key worker timetable there's a 07.08 Oxenholme-Manchester Piccadilly (nothing terminating at Oxenholme northbound, though).

Obviously Oxenholme has historically been the terminus for Windermere branch trains whenever it has operated as a self-contained Oxenholme-Windermere shuttle (which I think it generally did in BR days and on occasions since privatisation), but I'm not aware of any trains on the West Coast Main Line ever having regularly started or terminated at Oxenholme.

Been a long time since I used SimSig, but I recall a Fridays Only relief train in Pascal Nadin’s excellent 1979-80 Carlisle timetable which terminated at Oxenholme, presumably for Lakes traffic.

Pascal’s attention to detail on these matters was most meticulous, so I’d be surprised if it was wrong. I don’t know how long that lasted for, however.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Bit tricky to verify this, but before COVID timetables I believe the following happens which is out of course.

1 evening peak SWR and 1 late evening Southern terminate at Havant.
1 evening peak SWR terminates at Fratton
1 late evening GWR terminates at PMS
2 evening peaks terminate at Fareham bay
I believe there’s a Saturday morning service that starts at a Cosham too

greaterwest

Established Member
Bit tricky to verify this, but before COVID timetables I believe the following happens which is out of course.

I don't think the 0640 Hilsea to London Waterloo has been mentioned yet, empty coaching stock from Portsmouth & Southsea and only stops at Fratton to pick up the guard.

0611 Petersfield to London Waterloo is another unusual one, empty coaching stock from Southampton Central to Petersfield.

pompeyfan

Established Member
There's a path for it to - from Guildford on the Direct runs ECS from - to Eastleigh via Botley Fareham & Havant not unreasonable to suggest either Portsmouth Harbour or Portsmouth & Southsea terminate.
Another starter on the Direct not yet mentioned is 2P16 06:11 from Petersfield arrives ECS starting from Southampton Central at 05:01.
Another starting oddity is 2P92 06:40 Hilsea to Waterloo via the Direct runs ECS from Portsmouth and Southsea.

I believe there's also the 0640 Hilsea to Waterloo service (2P92).

I don't think the 0640 Hilsea to London Waterloo has been mentioned yet, empty coaching stock from Portsmouth & Southsea and only stops at Fratton to pick up the guard.

0611 Petersfield to London Waterloo is another unusual one, empty coaching stock from Southampton Central to Petersfield.

both already mentioned at least twice on page 4!

Liverpool South Parkway used to get the Blackpool services terminate on P4.
Hazel Grove gets terminating trains so they are not clogging up stations they dont really need to be in. New Mills used to get terminating services too

SoccerHQ

I drove through there last summer. Like someone made a big village out of showhomes.

Dickens Heath made famous just this week if you follow the life and times of Jack Grealish!

I live in Brum and had no idea it was that built up around there, thought it was similar size to likes of Cheswick Green and Earlswood.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Euston-on the Northern Line that is. I once caught a service that started at Tooting Broadway that terminated at Euston via Bank. In fact, the London Underground is full of them. Holborn and Queensway on the Central are others. As is Warren Street on the Victoria.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Euston-on the Northern Line that is. I once caught a service that started at Tooting Broadway that terminated at Euston via Bank. In fact, the London Underground is full of them. Holborn and Queensway on the Central are others. As is Warren Street on the Victoria.

I assume engineering works with the stations being used to terminate the underground having either turnback sidings or crossovers?

Liverpool South Parkway used to get the Blackpool services terminate on P4.
Hazel Grove gets terminating trains so they are not clogging up stations they dont really need to be in. New Mills used to get terminating services too

New Mills Central still gets an hourly terminating service.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I assume engineering works with the stations being used to terminate the underground having either turnback sidings or crossovers?

Yes most do. In the case of Euston, the train has to reverse onto a spur that leads onto the Victoria Line, before entering the southbound platforms again. The Central Line has an unusally high amount of turnback sidings for the middle of Central London.

thenorthern

Established Member
Whitehaven Platform 2 the through platform with trains to and from Barrow always seemed odd to me. I am aware that at the moment there is a landslip but even before that it seemed an odd place.

quarella

In the late 1990s a service started from Highbridge and Burnham around 0715 (0712 I think) running via the mainline bypassing Weston-super-Mare to Worle then all stations to Bristol Temple Meads except Parson St, carrying on to Bristol Parkway. It was very popular with people working at Filton Abbey Wood.

Re reversing at Euston the Northern Line is connected to the Piccadilly Line and not the Victoria Line.

Yes most do. In the case of Euston, the train has to reverse onto a spur that leads onto the Victoria Line, before entering the southbound platforms again. The Central Line has an unusally high amount of turnback sidings for the middle of Central London.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Round about 2001/2 there was a Wales and West service from Cheltenham to Shrewsbury which ran via Gloucester, Cardiff, Swansea (reverse) Llanelli (reverse) and Heart of Wales Line.

London Trains

I believe a morning Southern train to London also starts at Havant.

London Trains

The last trains on the Dorking to Victoria route turn off their normal route at Sutton to terminate at West Croydon (of course to go to Selhurst depot). Obviously trains from London start/terminate there but doesnt seem the place trains from Surrey would terminate.

Kieran1990

The last trains on the Dorking to Victoria route turn off their normal route at Sutton to terminate at West Croydon (of course to go to Selhurst depot). Obviously trains from London start/terminate there but doesnt seem the place trains from Surrey would terminate.

back in the 1990’s South West Trains used to run an hourly Guildford-West Croydon service

Status
Not open for further replies.