• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Level Crossings where the barriers remain but the road is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic1989

Established Member
To explain what I mean I am looking for examples of level crossings that remain in as built condition and functioning, complete with barriers (full or half) and lighting, but the road it was built to carry has been closed or has been converted to a footpath.
One example I have found of this is next to the signal box at Utoxetter, and IIRC there is another example close to Carlton Station on the Nottingham - Lincoln line.
Are there any more out there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I know of level crossings that remain where the railway line is now disused but the road is open but not where the road is closed.

I don't really drive a lot so my road knowledge is next to nothing really.

d429uk

There is a crossing like that
near Sherburn in Elmet

http://goo.gl/maps/BtK0Z

Class20

There is a crossing like that
near Sherburn in Elmet

http://goo.gl/maps/BtK0Z

Looking at the crossing on Google streetview it looks as though the full set of barriers and lights are still in place and in working order to cover the pedestrian crossing which still crosses the line.

Although I don't know of any other crossings which fit the criteria, it will be interesting to see any other examples people know of.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
CyrusWuff has reminded me - there used to be one at the country end of Dagenham Dock, which was abolished as HS1 needed to occupy the site of the road to the immediate south.

The Planner

Veteran Member
There used to be one around Greenhead between Carlisle and Haltwhistle I think as well.

Railsigns

Established Member
Bowling level crossing:

http://goo.gl/maps/bjwqM

Road closed but crossing equipment remains functional.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't know what remains of the likes of Hademore on the Trent Valley?

Almost certainly nothing. One side of the former crossing was obliterated by the four-tracking works.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Sherburn-in-Elmet looks like it has been recently modified. I visited it in January and all four barriers were still in working order but I passed through twice in May and it looks like there's only a short section of barrier left.

DJL

This one in Rainham (Essex)
http://goo.gl/maps/lgPwW

Not sure if the barriers the other side are still there?

The crossing was closed when HS1 came along and a new road built to the west

kevconnor

IIRC there is another example close to Carlton Station on the Nottingham - Lincoln line.

Where is/was the level crossing in Carlton that meets this criteria. there are two in the town that I am aware of,

1. the still live level crossing at the eastern end of the station as it crosses Victoria Road, can be seen here
2. or then the level crossing on the former line closer to Netherfield Station (also on Victoria Road), can be seen here

Marton

Gypsy Lane. Road closed to vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bishdunster

Quite the reverse, but on the W.S.R. at Minehead there was a fully working A.H.B. level crossing in the middle of a field, until the road it was to serve (Seaward Way), was completed several months later !

lincolnshire

Looking at the crossing on Google streetview it looks as though the full set of barriers and lights are still in place and in working order to cover the pedestrian crossing which still crosses the line.

Although I don't know of any other crossings which fit the criteria, it will be interesting to see any other examples people know of.

Its cheaper to leave everything in situ and working than remove them and put in some new arrangement for the public footpath and acess to the staion platforms after the road bridge was built to replace the crossing. As the cost of signalling changes that require planning, checking, carring out the work, checking again, staff training for new way of working, informing the public of new arrangements etc etc and the cost involved. No wonder thay leave then till they carry out signalling changes, most been now carried out due to the removal of controlling signal boxes ( these controlled by Milford Signal Box along with another set towards Ferrybridge direction ) before been eventually transfered to Regional Operating Centre,s

The one at Uttoxeter looks pretty sad now. I suspect the one near to Carlton station is in fact Trent Lane. I haven't noticed recently, but was that (and meadow lane) removed as part of the Nottingham resignalling? There was certainly crossing removal as part of the scheme.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Poole High Street maybe? Used to be a vehicular road but is now pedestrianised. The Level Crossing itself has recently (last year I think) been redone with sirens instead of a bell for its warning - shame really, took away a bit of the character of the crossing.

noddingdonkey

Not sure if this counts, but the crossing at Knaresborough station? Not sure if the gates ever get opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.