• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Lift and Escalator accessed stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmyd

Tried to find an answer to this elsewhere but can’t see it’s been discussed before. Which National Rail stations have a) lifts and b) escalators as their main access - ie excluding where disabled lifts are available, more where an able bodied passenger would be expected to use them to access the platforms.

With lifts, I can only think of Essex Road in London and James Street and Hamilton Square on Merseyside. Plus I guess Wapping and Shadwell if LO is considered (obviously there are loads on the tube so ignoring those)

Sure there are many more where escalators are required - City Thameslink, Moorgate, Old Street, Highbury, much of London Bridge And St Pancras, and main access to Fenchurch Street and Blackfriars. Rotherhithe on LO. Plus Moorfields, Lime Street LL and Central in Liverpool, Argyle Street in Glasgow (and maybe others?).

Where have I missed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scrapy

Established Member
Conway Park on Merseyrail is also mainly lift accessed due to its depth, and has 4 large double sided lifts but does also have stairs. Would Reading, Manchester Airport or Birmingham New St count as I bet the vast majority use escalators or lifts although these stations also have steps/ ramps.

Last edited:

Timmyd

Good point about those, Gatwick too in same camp.

And of course I forgot the HEX stations at Heathrow which are primarily accessed by lifts, and if not by escalators.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
With lifts, I can only think of Essex Road in London and James Street and Hamilton Square on Merseyside. Plus I guess Wapping and Shadwell if LO is considered (obviously there are loads on the tube so ignoring those)
I think LO should definitely be considered because despite the opinion of some of their staff, they are part of the national rail network.

ijmad

Established Member
Most of the Crossrail core (when it opens) will go in the escalator column. Paddington, Bond Street, Tottenham Court Road, Farringdon, Liverpool Street, Whitechapel, Canary Wharf, Woolwich Arsenal are all escalator and lift.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Conway Park on Merseyrail is also mainly lift accessed due to its depth, and has 4 large double sided lifts but does also have stairs. Would Reading, Manchester Airport or Birmingham New St count as I bet the vast majority use escalators or lifts although these stations also have steps/ ramps.

New St's main access points are on ground level.

scrapy

Established Member
The platforms are below this level and are predominantly accessed by escalators. The original post mentions access to platforms not entrance to the station.

birchesgreen

Established Member
The platforms are below this level and are predominantly accessed by escalators. The original post mentions access to platforms not entrance to the station.

Fair enough, not really clear from the subject.

Examples of stations would include Long Buckby, Worcestershire Parkway, Stechford, Hampton-in-Arden, Wood End

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Fair enough, not really clear from the subject.

Examples of stations would include Long Buckby, Worcestershire Parkway, Stechford, Hampton-in-Arden, Wood End
Worcester Foregate Street
Lifts (and stairs)
There must be hundreds where stairs are supplemented by lifts, most of them that have had Access for All upgrades for a start. I think the OP is after stations where lifts/escalators are the default choice and stairs are either non-existent or for emergency use only.

I haven't visited London Bridge much since it was rebuilt, but access to the through platforms seemed to be mainly by escalator although there must be lifts somewhere too.

ijmad

Established Member
There must be hundreds where stairs are supplemented by lifts, most of them that have had Access for All upgrades for a start. I think the OP is after stations where lifts/escalators are the default choice and stairs are either non-existent or for emergency use only.

I haven't visited London Bridge much since it was rebuilt, but access to the through platforms seemed to be mainly by escalator although there must be lifts somewhere too.

The lifts are between the two staircases, they descend into basically the middle of the concourse. However each set of escalators are paired with fixed stairs, and the bay platforms can be accessed on the flat from the upper concourse. You might argue the escalators are the 'default' choice for most because the platform level is so high, but many people use the stairs especially during rush hour. So I don't know if that counts!

Mikey C

Established Member
Stratford International is another one requiring escalator/lift access to the platforms

superjohn

Stratford International is another one requiring escalator/lift access to the platforms
There is a staircase adjacent to the escalators. It is often the only way down if one or other of the escalators is out of service, a surprisingly common occurrence. The lesser used Hitchcock Lane entrance is stairs and lift only.

I think wherever there are escalators, that station would go on the list, unless there are separate entrances. You don't really expect people to use parallel stairs, unless they have trouble with escalators. Lifts are a bit different, being more optional at most stations, but the exceptions to that are interesting. I find Essex Road grim and fascinating equally. Which is the Merseyrail station where you go upstairs into the station and then down to the platforms? A 60s attempt to take over street level with traffic, I think.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I think wherever there are escalators, that station would go on the list, unless there are separate entrances. You don't really expect people to use parallel stairs, unless they have trouble with escalators. Lifts are a bit different, being more optional at most stations, but the exceptions to that are interesting. I find Essex Road grim and fascinating equally. Which is the Merseyrail station where you go upstairs into the station and then down to the platforms? A 60s attempt to take over street level with traffic, I think.

James Street?

ijmad

Established Member

Under that formulation, London Bridge and Reading would count.

Also Greenford.

jamesst

James Street?

Moorfields main entrance as part of the failed Liverpool High Rise walkway plan .
In fact the escalators up from the street to the station didn't work for a long time at one point as there was a never ending argument over who actually owned them.

Mikey C

Established Member
There is a staircase adjacent to the escalators. It is often the only way down if one or other of the escalators is out of service, a surprisingly common occurrence. The lesser used Hitchcock Lane entrance is stairs and lift only.
But then every station on this list will have a staircase for use in case the lift or escalator packs up!

jamesst

But then every station on this list will have a staircase for use in case the lift or escalator packs up!

Not necessarily. James Street and Hamilton Square have alternative stairs/subway access in case of lift failure. If no working escalators are working in the up direction at Liverpool Moorfields/ Lime Street/ Central then the platform/ station (depending which bank of escalators have failed) has to close until its fixed.

Liverpool central only has escalator of lift access, the stairs are for emergency use only.
James street station only has lift access and always has only ever had lift access.

I believe it was the first deep level station ever built.

jamesst

Liverpool central only has escalator of lift access, the stairs are for emergency use only.
James street station only has lift access and always has only ever had lift access.

I believe it was the first deep level station ever built.

James Street also has the steep Water Street subway (open peak times) and a staircase for emergency access only.

xotGD

Established Member
Leeds Southern Entrance. Two escalators or a lift to get to the ticket barrier.

ijmad

Established Member
Luton Airport Parkway has a lot of escalators and lifts. I can't remember if there's a staircase but given the height I suspect it might be emergency only too?

Status
Not open for further replies.