• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Lines that cross (over/under) 2 different motorways in quick succession

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm333

Travelling recently from Leeds to Carnforth, I noticed that the line crossed both the A601(M) and the M6 within about 400 yards of each other.

Are there any other places where a line crosses over/under 2 different motorways in quick succession?

I'm aware that the A601(M) used to be part of the M6 but was given its own number when the M6 was extended north of Lancaster.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The WCML near Warrington passes under the M62 then the M6.

The Atherton line passes under the M60 and the M61 East Lancs Rd access where they run parallel at Worsley.

Preston-Blackburn underneath the M61 and M6 near Bamber Bridge.

The CrossCity line under the A38(M) and M6 at Spaghetti Junction.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Between Outwood and Leeds, the branch of the ECML goes under the M1 and then M62 in the space of about a minute (if you are on an LNER 225 - thought it takes about five minutes if you are sat on a Pacer from Sheffield to Leeds!)

Uphall to Edinburgh Park sees the line cross both the M8 and M9 in a similarly short amount of time

ohgoditsjames

Not sure I’d call it quick succession but the Castleford to Sheffield line goes under the M62 as you approach Normanton then leaving Wakefield it goes under the ECML then the M1, it then goes under the M1 again a few mins before Darton and then it passes under the M1 at Tinsley viaduct as it approaches Meadowhall.

Smitham

BML passes under the M23 and over the M25 within a short distance. Might not count as the M23 cant be seen.

alistairlees

Established Member
Between Dunton Green and Knockholt on the Sevenoaks to London line it passes under the M20 (bridge) then the M25 (whilst in Polhill tunnel though)

GLC

The stretch of railway from Glasgow Central to Cardonald briefly passes under the M77, and then the M8. If you are bit more loose with the idea of quick succession, the same route also passes under the M74 about a mile from the M77 crossing

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The Trans-Pennine line goes under the M62 whilst in Morley tunnel, then a short while later goes under the M621 near Cottingley station.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not sure I’d call it quick succession but the Castleford to Sheffield line goes under the M62 as you approach Normanton then leaving Wakefield it goes under the ECML then the M1, it then goes under the M1 again a few mins before Darton and then it passes under the M1 at Tinsley viaduct as it approaches Meadowhall.
The line from Barnsley doesn't go under Tinsley viaduct, just the lines from Rotherham/Swinton.

bnm

Established Member
The South Wales Main Line passes under the M5, M49 and M4 in relatively quick succession between Patchway and Severn Tunnel Junction.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
The Brighton Mainline (both Redhill and Quarry Lines) pass under the M23 and over the M25 within a short distance (although in tunnel whilst passing under the M23)

AM9

Veteran Member
Not quite a motorway, (but a break of motorway to allow non-motorway traffic to use a key river crossing), the A282 just north of the Queen Elizabeth bridge over the lower Thames. HS1, passes over the northbound carriageway just after it emerges from the tunnel. It then passes under the southbound carriageway as it climbs up to the bridge. The two carriageways are about 200ft apart.

Tractor37

The line from Pontefract to Knottingley passes under the M62 and then straight away under the A1.

Mikey C

Established Member
The Watford to St Albans line passes under the M1 and M25 in quick succession

SteveM70

Established Member
Denton station is virtually underneath the M67 and the line then crosses the M60 within 400 yards

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not quite a motorway, (but a break of motorway to allow non-motorway traffic to use a key river crossing), the A282 just north of the Queen Elizabeth bridge over the lower Thames. HS1, passes over the northbound carriageway just after it emerges from the tunnel. It then passes under the southbound carriageway as it climbs up to the bridge. The two carriageways are about 200ft apart.

One of my favourite bits of engineering anywhere :)

roadierway77

Glasgow, with its complex rail and road networks, has a few examples.

Between Easterhouse and Blairhill - 800 metres between M8 and M73

In the same area, the Whifflet line also passes under the M8 and M73 between Ballieston and Bargeddie in the space of 650m

Between Glasgow Central and Cardonald - the Inverclyde line passes under both the M77 and M8 within 400 metres

quantinghome

Established Member
HS1 threads the needle at Dartford crossing, passing over the tunnel approach then immediately under the bridge approach, all in the space of a few metres.

AM9

Veteran Member
HS1 threads the needle at Dartford crossing, passing over the tunnel approach then immediately under the bridge approach, all in the space of a few metres.
As per my thread #19, but like mine, the post is slightly off topic, i.e. there is only one road and it is not a motorway anyway.

alangla

In the same area, the Whifflet line also passes under the M8 and M73 between Ballieston and Bargeddie in the space of 650m
This is so pedantic I’m ashamed of it, but here goes.
It actually passes over the new M8 on a new bridge that joins on to the old Cutty Sark bridge over the A8. The new bridge was an amazing bit of construction in that it was built under the existing railway, then the earth was excavated under it to expose the pillars and the road built below

AM9

Veteran Member
This is so pedantic I’m ashamed of it, but here goes.
It actually passes over the new M8 on a new bridge that joins on to the old Cutty Sark bridge over the A8. The new bridge was an amazing bit of construction in that it was built under the existing railway, then the earth was excavated under it to expose the pillars and the road built below
I think that has happened before. Somebody here might know whether the bridge structure over the rerouted A40 just north of the current Hillingdon LU Station was built before the cutting for the road was excavated.

Status
Not open for further replies.