Trivia: Lines That Never Had Passenger Services

Discussion in 'Railway History & Nostalgia' started by RichmondCommu, 11 Jul 2017.

1. racyrich

racyrich Member

The Hertford North to Hertford East link never had a through service, though I should say that the original Hertford North GN terminal station for Welwyn branch trains was halfway along the link.

2. tsr

tsr Established Member

Between the yellow line and the white line, probab
    You mean the Post Office Railway, or Mail Rail. There exists many a tale of passengers riding on the mail wagons - chiefly staff or their relations. I seem to remember there was even mention of there having been a Santa Special at one point.

3. Harbornite

Harbornite Established Member

One example I can think of is the Mitchells and Butlers branch in Cape Hill Smethwick. It was basically a glorified siding, approximately 0.25 miles long, that connected the sidings of the M&B brewery to a junction with the Harborne branch at Rotton Park Road. The branch was only served by M&B's own locos, although a BR owned pug was briefly hired by the brewery. Closure came in 1962; to my knowledge, no passenger trains or railtours ever visited the brewery.

4. MarcusL1

MarcusL1 Member

I'm not quite sure if this is correct, but I think the Newtown Goods line that ran to Huddersfield which branched off from a junction near Mirfield is one of those lines

5. bramling

bramling Established Member

Yes, and one can also include the Midland route from Royston & Notton up to Dewsbury Savile Town, although it did include two stations which were built but never used.

6. iain-j

iain-j Member

Last edited: 5 Sep 2017