• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Lines where Pacers run 'fast'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTrain

Seems a little bizarre, but it happens, interested to know where. By 'fast' I mean skipping several (more than 1) station at a time where other services stop.

I'm going to start us off with
Heysham port services run often by pacers that run fast Skipton to Leeds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
There will most likely be a few on the Calder Valley, however the one which I can remember of the top of my head is 2M56 Leeds-Manchester Victoria which is all stops up to Rochdale and then fast to Manchester.
Sam

gnolife

Established Member
They're pretty common on the Manchester Airport - Southport services (so skipping Heald Green - Mauldeth Rd, Clfton - Moses Gate, Ince, Gathurst, Hoscar, New Lane, Bescar Lane and Meols Cop usually)

Bevan Price

Established Member
Not quite conforming to your definition, but a few Pacers run via ECML between Newcastle & Darlington, with longish distances between some of the stops.

I think the (few) Newcastle/ Darlington - York moves are empty stock movements only.

Veteran Member
Not quite conforming to your definition, but a few Pacers run via ECML between Newcastle & Darlington, with longish distances between some of the stops.

I think the (few) Newcastle/ Darlington - York moves are empty stock movements only.
Think it's not unknown to get a Pacer on a Carlisle-Newcastle semi-fast, and Carlisle-Haltwistle-Hexham beats anything in the Aire Valley or out of Manchester.

Established Member
Think it's not unknown to get a Pacer on a Carlisle-Newcastle semi-fast, and Carlisle-Haltwistle-Hexham beats anything in the Aire Valley or out of Manchester.

You think correctly. Had a nice (?) bounce across from Newcastle to Carlisle on a semi-fast train a couple of weeks ago.

Nean

Some CLC services miss out both Chassen Road and Flixton and can be pacers (though happily the line seems to have produced 156s fairly consistently for me in the past few months!)

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
A few years ago there was booked 142 work on a Class 1 service fast from York to Leeds, which was immediately followed by a booked 158 doing all stops from Micklefield on a Class 2. (For reasons of the 142s next working).

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Does the train that runs from Manchester - Chester via the M-CL at night that doesn't stop anywhere carry passengers? If so that must have been pacer operated at some point.

Bishopstone

Established Member
The 00:05 Barnstaple-Exeter St Davids, SO, calls at Eggesford and Crediton only. I assume it sometimes produces a 143.

driver_m

Established Member
Less so these days, but they can be found on class 1 work between lime st and man airport when a 319 gets panicky being on its own and sits down.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Some of the Huddersfield to Manchester peak extras skip both Slaithwaite and Marsden*, and Pacers are commonplace in those parts.

*=warning for those on split tickets! ;)

Harpers Tate

Established Member
A few odd services on Sheffield <> Lincoln run "fast" between Worksop or Kiveton and Sheffield - and a Pacer is the most probable rolling stock.

DanTrain

I like the responses, it happens more than I thought! I've just remembered the Sheffield - Manchester Piccadilly trains skip the last few stops into Piccadilly - Belle Vue, Ashbury's and another I think. Oh, and Ardwick!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Some of the Huddersfield to Manchester peak extras skip both Slaithwaite and Marsden*, and Pacers are commonplace in those parts.

*=warning for those on split tickets! ;)

The 1648 from Huddersfield is fast to Stalybridge.

Parallel

Established Member
Some Pacers to Exmouth will omit St James’ Park, Polsloe Bridge, Exton & Lympstone Commando.

Islandexpress

Not a true answer as it doesn’t skip any stations but I’m looking forward to a trip later this week on the Leeds - Lancaster service when a pacer seemingly hurtles at warp speed up the WCML from Carnforth to Lancaster - prob only does about 40mph but appears ‘really’ fast!

Last summer, I travelled on the 1249 Exeter St Davids-Paignton 143, non stop to Newton Abbot. Not many passengers on that service.

Iskra

Established Member
Not a true answer as it doesn’t skip any stations but I’m looking forward to a trip later this week on the Leeds - Lancaster service when a pacer seemingly hurtles at warp speed up the WCML from Carnforth to Lancaster - prob only does about 40mph but appears ‘really’ fast!

Plenty of jointed track between Carnforth and Hellifield too. Surely the best pacer run in the country that route, if you like that kind of thing.

_toommm_

Established Member
It's not fast in the literal sense due to lots of red signals but some Sheffield to Piccadilly local stoppers run fast after New Mills or latter stops, such as Reddish or Brimmington

Philip

On Moderation
In FNW and early TPE days Manchester Airport to Barrow/Windermere services would sometimes have old Northern DMUs standing in for the booked modern traction (175s and latterly 185s), when there were shortages. It's fairly likely 142s would have been used at some point and Preston to Lancaster takes some beating for this area!

roversfan2001

Established Member
Not meeting your definition of fast but sometimes 142's do Euxton Balshaw Lane to Wigan, must surely hit 75mph on that stretch.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not meeting your definition of fast but sometimes 142's do Euxton Balshaw Lane to Wigan, must surely hit 75mph on that stretch.

Similarly, one can get a decent run between Salford Crescent and Bolton. Like I did on a 6-car 142 on a recent strike day!

xotGD

Established Member
The regular bendy ecs moves up and down to Heaton give them a chance to stretch their legs on the ECML.

scrapy

Established Member
There's also a couple of booked 142 workings between Preston and Lancaster non stop at 75mph for 20mins.

Parallel

Established Member
I think there’s a few trains to Treherbert that run via the City Line and don’t stop at Ninian Park, Waun-Gron Park, Danescourt or Fairwater as well; first stop Radyr.

Status
Not open for further replies.