• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: lines which have never had brand new rolling stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
So if we ignore reopenings we seem to have the Island Line (dead cert there!) and my suggestion of the Central Wales - anyone know about the 150s on that line?
Depending on how strict we're being, the class 140 ran on the HOWL as part of its trials. Arguably if that route wasn't the first one it ran, it wasn't "new".
Cumbria Coast line ??
175s (and possibly 185s) ran to Millom from new I think. Anything north of there might well qualify though...

The lines north of Whitehaven were just about the first ones to get the Derby Lightweights.
...Or not!

D7666

Cumbria Coast line ??
Cumbria coast was recipient of one of the very first BR DMMU schemes a whole fleet of Derby lightweights were delivered specifically for it.

deleted other text [wrong thread]

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Newton abbot to Paignton / Torquay?
Exeter to Exmouth?
Bristol to Severn beach?
The first two had brand new 142s during the 1980s, albeit soon replaced with older stock. Moreover, the first has had brand new intercity stock over the years.

mjmason1996

If we really wanted to stretch it .. could say sections of the T&W metro built after 1982?

oddiesjack

When I was a kid and the Rose Hill line still ran through to Macclesfield (the Rose-Hill - Macc bit closed in 1971) it tended to see 101s but 101s were pretty new then. I never saw a kettle on it.
The Marple Wharf Jct-Macclesfield line got new Derby Lightweight DMUs in the 1950s, when the passenger services were dieselised at the same time as the Hayfield line. The Hayfield line retained a couple of rush hour steam services for a few years, but I am unsure if the same was true of the Macclesfield (via Romiley) route. On both routes the usual steam locos were C13s,and occasionally A5s neither of which were definitely not new when they arrived from their previous duties in London suburbia.

24Grange

The first two had brand new 142s during the 1980s, albeit soon replaced with older stock. Moreover, the first has had brand new intercity stock over the years.

I guess the DMU's that replaced steam in 1964 were also new at that point? ( Exmouth- Exeter/Exmouth - Tipton St Johns, Sidmouth Junction - Sidmouth) ? Also I guess the 2-6-2's and 4's which replaced earlier steam engines were new when they replaced older SR classes. Which begs the question is a loco classed as rolling stock or just a loco? Also Warships and 47's would have been new ( ish?) on loco hauled services at this time?

DanNCL

Established Member
If we really wanted to stretch it .. could say sections of the T&W metro built after 1982?
Bank Foot - Newcastle Airport (1991) would count, as although most of it was formerly heavy rail as part of the former Ponteland branch, it shut to passengers pre WW2, and used cast offs from other lines.

Sunderland - South Hylton (2002) might also count but that depends if the Sunderland - Durham line before it was shut by Beeching ever had new trains or not.

Pelaw - South Shields (1984) wouldn’t count as BR introduced new third rail EMUs on that line in the 1950s.

Veteran Member
I guess the DMU's that replaced steam in 1964 were also new at that point? ( Exmouth- Exeter/Exmouth - Tipton St Johns, Sidmouth Junction - Sidmouth) ? Also I guess the 2-6-2's and 4's which replaced earlier steam engines were new when they replaced older SR classes. Which begs the question is a loco classed as rolling stock or just a loco? Also Warships and 47's would have been new ( ish?) on loco hauled services at this time?
The DMUs weren't new. The Exmouth line received new Mk1 suburbans around 1956, but I don't think they worked the other lines - however, there would have been new stock on the Waterloo workings.
As to the locos, Exmouth was mostly worked by new Standard 3 tanks from 1952to and they worked via Tipton as well; Exmouth Jn had one Ivatt 2MTT from new as well.

randyrippley

Established Member
Did 155s work Westbury to Weymouth when new? That route may be in with a chance of qualifying as 150s were secondhand and 158s most likely didn't go there new.
The cross-country sets were new to Bristol area services, which included the Weymouth line

When did Morecambe-Leeds get DMUs?
And Settle-Carlisle?

Last edited:

Halish Railway

Established Member
The cross-country sets were new to Bristol area services, which included the Weymouth line

And Settle-Carlisle?
I’m pretty sure that the S&C got brand new 156s. The attached photo is estimated to be from around 1996, so assuming that such diagramming had been around for a few years then the S&C would have been the recipient of new trains.

Veteran Member
The service was an extension of the Airedale service when I first knew it in 1990, so I think it had Pacers from new.
Whether it had first generation units from new I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.