• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA - Longest distance with ONE bus ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Is the Stagecoach North West Explorer ticket sold and accepted on Stagecoach Manchester buses? It doesn't show on their website when you look at fares for Stagecoach Manchester buses so i am not sure if it is?
You need to look at the North West website and the terms and conditions state:

Terms and conditions

• Valid for unlimited travel on all Stagecoach services across the North West. Buy travel on Stagecoach buses within the below zone:
  • Use on all services in Cumbria as far as Dumfries on the 79 and Newcastle Upon Tyne on the 685.
  • Use on all services in Lancashire as far as Ingleton (80), Blackpool (42/61/68), Blackburn (59), Bolton (125), Chester (1/2), Wigan (113).
  • Not valid on Chester City Sightseeing, Chester Park & Ride, school services S1/940/941/942 or Stagecoach in Manchester services.
  • Valid at all times on the day of purchase.
  • Ticket can be transferred between friends and family
I presume that it is not sold or accepted on Stagecoach North East buses either (other than the 685 service)?

Correct. To travel on the 685 and buses in the North East, you need to buy an Explorer North East

Terms and conditions
  • valid on local bus services operated by Stagecoach North East, Arriva North East, Go North East and Travelsure (and also some services operated on behalf of Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council) but not valid on Newcastle Nightbus services N1, N30, N39, N40, N88
  • valid on Stagecoach in Cumbria Route 685 (Carlisle to Newcastle)
  • valid on Stagecoach in Cumbria local services within Carlisle city
  • valid on Tyne and Wear Metro and Shields Ferry
  • valid on trains between Newcastle and Sunderland only
  • Find out more about Explorer tickets
  • child and family tickets are available (child age for Explorer is 5-16 years old)
  • valid at all times
To be fair, it is exceptional value.

Here's one for people - does anyone know which services operated on behalf of DCC and NCC this ticket covers? I believe the Wooler to Berwick/Alnwick services were but don't know now!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks for the info. I think it would be good if Arriva and First and Stagecoach all had their own day tickets that could be used across their entire networks throughout the UK. I am surprised that they don't. It would certainly be useful.

Don't think that would be particularly useful IMO. More useful would be multi-operator tickets.

Thanks for posting those terms and conditions. That is useful to see. I am surprised the terms and conditions don't mention it's validity to Wrexham. It is definitely valid to Wrexham as well (i have bought it on a service from Wrexham before and it even says that they sell and accept it if you look on their fare finder for tickets in the Wrexham area).

Is it valid at all on Stagecoach West Scotland route 382 between Carlisle and Lockerbie? I can't find anything to say whether it is or isn't? It doesn't mention it on the fare finder for this route so i presume it isn't? Unless perhaps it is valid within the Carlisle area?

I can't find anything online to say which Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council contracted services the North East Explorer is valid on. Perhaps it might be worth emailing these two county councils to find out.

Slower Travel

Just going back to this because of a discussion on another thread about the Arrive North West & Wales £5.50 day ticket (https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/arriva-north-west-and-wales.166898/).

While we know you can get from Manchester or Chorley to Holyhead, it turns out that it's possible to go even further and get to Pwllheli in a day. You'd need to get the 5C from Bangor to Caernarfon, the 1 over to Porthmadog and finally the 3 or 3B to Pwllheli.

The #1 only runs a couple of times in the evening, so doing this the other way around wouldn't be possible. Earliest arrival in Pwllheli would be 8:30pm o_O

buses7675

Ahem - see post #76

I did Liverpool to Manchester, by Stagecoach bus the other day (admittedly on a staff pass) using this link at Wigan between Stagecoach MCSL and Stagecoach Manchester.

A friend mentioned though they also meet at Bolton with the 125 from Preston depot and route 7 (I think) from Wigan depot.

With some careful planning and leaving very early in the morning it is possible to get from Market Harborough in Leicestershire to Holyhead in Anglesey entirely on Arriva buses on the same day. However you have to use Arriva Midlands east of Wrexham and Arriva North West & Wales west of Wrexham so it is two different parts of the company. Now i am wondering if the day tickets are valid on both? Does anyone know if Arriva have a day ticket that can be used on both for this entire journey?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It's some years ago, but I'm sure Stagecoach used to sell a ticket valid on any of their operations (except London) - I think the idea was it was for use at both ends of rail journeys.

Slower Travel

With some careful planning and leaving very early in the morning it is possible to get from Market Harborough in Leicestershire to Holyhead in Anglesey entirely on Arriva buses on the same day. However you have to use Arriva Midlands east of Wrexham and Arriva North West & Wales west of Wrexham so it is two different parts of the company. Now i am wondering if the day tickets are valid on both? Does anyone know if Arriva have a day ticket that can be used on both for this entire journey?

Blimey, that'd be some effort. Unfortunately, the tickets aren't transferable from one region to the next.

I came unstuck with this while trying to go from Whitchurch to Shrewsbury on a NW & Wales day ticket a while back. In fact, the driver nodded us on, then called us back to re-check the tickets and rang up the depot to see if they were accepted (sadly for my wallet, the answer was no. We were winging it, so didn't know either way when we got on).

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I did Liverpool to Manchester, by Stagecoach bus the other day (admittedly on a staff pass) using this link at Wigan between Stagecoach MCSL and Stagecoach Manchester.

A friend mentioned though they also meet at Bolton with the 125 from Preston depot and route 7 (I think) from Wigan depot.

You can go via Bolton but then again, you can go direct on the 113 Preston to Wigan.

Many thanks. I didn't think it would be valid. It's rather silly that they don't have a ticket that is valid on both considering that they are the same company. Does anyone know if Arriva Midlands even have a day ticket for their entire network? I was looking online but it doesn't seem like there is one?

MedwayValiant

As already noted, there is no single day ticket that would cover all of this. As far as I can see, the only section of route where a West Midlands day ticket and a North West and Wales day ticket are both valid is between Wrexham and Cefn Mawr.

The West Midlands day ticket and the "Zone Plus" day ticket (i.e. Derby and Leicester and the surrounding area) intersect only at Atherstone, and there is no day ticket for both areas. It shouldn't really make any difference to the passenger experience, but West Midlands is run on a different O-licence (legal name Arriva Midlands North). Then again, the Zone Plus area is two O-licences (Arriva Midlands, and Centrebus Holdings ie Hinckley Bus) and the North West and Wales area is three (Arriva Cymru, Arriva Merseyside, Arriva North West), so that may not be the reason that there is no all-Midlands day ticket.

Should I be as "mortally offended" as I sort of want to be that the North West and Wales day ticket covering that vast area is cheaper than an ordinary return from Strood to Higham, a journey of less than three miles?

philthetube

Established Member
Can't believe no one beat me to the ENTS ticket, Lands End to the Scottish border.

Concessionary passes don't count, this discussion is about tickets that anyone can have :)

Can't see anything in op about who can have tickets.

Thanks for the info. I think it would be good if Arriva and First and Stagecoach all had their own day tickets that could be used across their entire networks throughout the UK. I am surprised that they don't. It would certainly be useful.

It should be fairly easy to create a nationwide ticket, it could be piggybacked on the ENTS scheme,

_toommm_

Established Member
My late father was a driver and recounted the story of some guy who travelled down from Edinburgh to Darlington by train to bash one specific Bristol RE. This guy then discovered it was unfortunately allocated to a duty that meant it wouldn’t be back so this guy had to return unsatisfied!

For me, it’s about just having an explore and seeing interesting places, whether sweeping rural vistas or even inner cities. The bus itself means relatively little though if I’m undecided where to explore next, I might go for the more interesting option.

As an example, I did Dinnington to Rotherham in December (as part of a big day out) and rather than wait and get the e400 on the main service, I got the TM Solo that took a much more rural route.

The 20 in Rotherham is a great little route - especially climbing out of Whiston (where I grew up) and when it goes into Ulley Park.

The 13/13A they used to operate to Mexborough and Hooton Levitt respectively were great - although to be fair most of TM's network is great IMO

A nationwide ticket issued and accepted on any local bus service in the UK would be amazing. That would be so useful. Unfortunately though i can't really see that ever happening unless we nationalise all our buses.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
A nationwide ticket issued and accepted on any local bus service in the UK would be amazing. That would be so useful. Unfortunately though i can't really see that ever happening unless we nationalise all our buses.

How much would you expect that to be, if it was possible?

I think that £10.00 Day Ticket or £40.00 Weekly Ticket or £120.00 Monthly Ticket would be decent fair prices for it.

I guess it would have to work like ENCTS passes with bus operators somehow recording the journeys made so that they can claim back their revenue. Or they could just all agree to accept it without claiming back any revenue but then certain bus operators who get more passengers using them then buying them would be at a disadvantage.

I think it is definitely worth looking in to though as most countries in Mainland Europe have Day/Weekly/Monthly/Annual tickets valid on all buses in the entire country. I think it is just the privatisation of our buses that would make such a ticket difficult over here.

MedwayValiant

Some operators decline to take part in any kind of multi-operator ticket scheme. Ensign Bus are notorious for it, which is why there is no PlusBus in Thurrock, and there are others. Why would they take part in the scheme proposed here unless they were forced to?

Even if that could be overcome, would operators go for £10 a day when there are single tickets that cost more than that?

route101

Established Member
Other day i used Borders day ticket on the app from Berwick to Biggar on services 60,x62 and 91

I must say that £1080.00 for a Trent Barton annual ticket seems very expensive. Especially considering that others are a lot cheaper. For example Arriva The Shires charge £900.00 for their annual ticket which covers an area stretching from Essex to Oxfordshire which is much larger than the Trent Barton area.

Status
Not open for further replies.