• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Longest Double Decker bus routes in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

gka472l

I am planning to do the Vectis "Island Coaster" I think it is called when I go to Isle of Wight in September. The full journey in the morning is clockwise Ryde, Sandown, Shanklin, Ventnor etc to Yarmouth. The afternoon journey returns anti clockwise along the same route.

The Vectis buses I saw last year were always immaculate and mostly Enviro 400s, with a handful of Scanias. Not sure what they use for open top serrvices.

No idea of mileage but it looks fantastic from the upper deck
Did the Island Coaster back in July 2019, Vectis Blue E400's seemed to be the normal allocation for the route. As for the open top routes, a couple of Presidents (1991/2) and four Scania's (1401-1403/1111) are used.

HTH

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aswilliamsuk

Other long, broadly urban, 'decker routes:

11A/C Birmingham Outer Circle - timetabled for about two hours each way (27 miles)
7 Dunfermline - Leven (Stagecoach Fife) - timetabled for about two hours twenty min each way (not sure on exact distance, but looks to be about 25 miles)

Back to interurban:
Not sure if the Sunday-only X50 (Chipping Norton - Birmingham, Johnsons) counts, but that covers about 58 miles in two hours ten minutes, too.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Back to interurban:
Not sure if the Sunday-only X50 (Chipping Norton - Birmingham, Johnsons) counts, but that covers about 58 miles in two hours ten minutes, too.
I've always wanted to do that one, but inexplicably they don't (or didn't) sell returns for Chipping Norton - Birmingham. Their fare tables just leave a gap where that fare should be.

However, it did remind me of the X18 - it's registered as Coventry to Stratford and Stratford to Evesham, but runs through, taking roughly two hours. Some Sunday journeys extent to Pershore, adding another 15 minutes or so to the journey.

Gloster

Established Member
I am planning to do the Vectis "Island Coaster" I think it is called when I go to Isle of Wight in September. The full journey in the morning is clockwise Ryde, Sandown, Shanklin, Ventnor etc to Yarmouth. The afternoon journey returns anti clockwise along the same route.

The Vectis buses I saw last year were always immaculate and mostly Enviro 400s, with a handful of Scanias. Not sure what they use for open top serrvices.

No idea of mileage but it looks fantastic from the upper deck
From recollection, they often use a Vectis Blue double-decker that, in term time, had already worked a school trip. At least in the morning; I think that there are fewer school duties in the afternoon. However, at the moment the Vectis Blue liveried vehicles seem to be sharing normal duties with the green ones, although I haven’t been out much since the schools reopened.

route101

Established Member

11A/C Birmingham Outer Circle - timetabled for about two hours each way (27 miles)
7 Dunfermline - Leven (Stagecoach Fife) - timetabled for about two hours twenty min each way (not sure on exact distance, but looks to be about 25 miles)

Back to interurban:
I did that 7 from Dunfiemline to Leven once, and was unlucky to get a cramped E300.

Last edited by a moderator:

matt_world2004

Established Member
I have done the X26 a couple of times end to end when i visited London before lockdown, & Carshalton is the scenic part of the route, but other than going around the perimeter of Heathrow not much to shout about.
Sometimes you see deer in bushy park from the upper deck.

WestCountry

Stagecoach's service B between Cambridge and Peterborough had a running time just over two hours. It's currently suspended due to COVID but will probably return.

The journey is flat and mostly boring, but includes the northern section of the Cambridgeshire Guided Busway.

Operated by Scania E400s with very nice high-backed seats, and briefly before the lockdown by the new tri-axle E400 XLB megadeckers.

WM Bus

Back to interurban:
X50 might use single decker E200/E200 MMC I think. Last time I saw it, pre covid, it was E200 operated.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
The X36 Ardrossan - Glasgow bus is Scania E400 or E400MMC operated. 30 miles in about 1hr 40, 2 hrs and a bit depending on morning/evening traffic. Great views throughout plus whizzing through the suburbs on the M8 motorway as well as a very good view of Glasgow Airport.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The 845 Leeds to Bridlington was dropped 2 years ago.
Is it that long since I travelled on it o_O

Stagecoach's service B between Cambridge and Peterborough had a running time just over two hours. It's currently suspended due to COVID but will probably return.

The journey is flat and mostly boring, but includes the northern section of the Cambridgeshire Guided Busway.

Operated by Scania E400s with very nice high-backed seats, and briefly before the lockdown by the new tri-axle E400 XLB megadeckers.
To be honest, I quite like the non-Busway bit once you leave Peterborough heading for Huntingdon.

Statto

Established Member

Back to interurban:

Good shout, the 11A/11C Outer Circle is timed to take 3 hours in the peaks too, i've been on it during the day & it took 2 hours 30 minutes to do 1 complete circuit.

route101

Established Member
Theres something about a long route on a A road.
Good shout, the 11A/11C Outer Circle is timed to take 3 hours in the peaks too, i've been on it during the day & it took 2 hours 30 minutes to do 1 complete circuit.
Is the 11 an interesting route?

WM Bus

Theres something about a long route on a A road.

Is the 11 an interesting route?
I live on the 11 route at Ward End. It does a big long loop round the outer areas of the City and also connects with all the routes to/from the City Centre as a consequence.

Last edited:

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I live on the 11 route at Ward End. It does a big long loop round the outer areas of the City and also connects with all the routes to/from the City Centre as a consequence.

I have always intended to do this, living in South Staffs but working shifts in the city centre and being a car user pretty much exclusively. Can you recommend a place to join the service somewhere around the northwest segment. Maybe Perry Barr way ?
Thanks in advance

Ken Bromage

I have always intended to do this, living in South Staffs but working shifts in the city centre and being a car user pretty much exclusively. Can you recommend a place to join the service somewhere around the northwest segment. Maybe Perry Barr way ?
Thanks in advance
You could use the One Stop car park at Perry Barr,walk to the island & left for clockwise or right for an anticlockwise journey

sk688

The 140 before it was cut back to Hayes was pretty long due to traffic

376 Bristol to Street is also pretty long , and a decent scenic route over the Mendips

route101

Established Member
The X36 Ardrossan - Glasgow bus is Scania E400 or E400MMC operated. 30 miles in about 1hr 40, 2 hrs and a bit depending on morning/evening traffic. Great views throughout plus whizzing through the suburbs on the M8 motorway as well as a very good view of Glasgow Airport.
Beith is a nice place. I'm surprised the route has lasted, but I suppose Beith needs its link to Glasgow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Beith is a nice place. I'm surprised the route has lasted, but I suppose Beith needs its link to Glasgow.

The X36 is much more vital than you think. It also links Beith, Garnock and Dalry together as most of those areas aren’t within walking distance of the stations. It’s also a good service if you want to quickly get from Kilwinning to Saltcoats or Ardrossan.

Polarbear

Established Member
Chester to Rhyl on Arriva Cymru service 11 takes around 2 hours & is normally double deck. From Rhyl to Llandudno on route 12 gets a 45 mile run on deckers, much of which is close to or along the North Wales coast.

A shame the Coastliner no longer exists as that was just over 3 hours Chester to Caernarfon.

steamybrian

Established Member
Can i mention route 700 Brighton to Portsmouth which I thought was a through service but it appears in the timetable as split into sections.

Dai Corner

Established Member
The Stagecoach South Wales X3 Cardiff-Hereford via Cwmbran and Abergavenny takes about 2 hours 40 mins. Gold-spec E400s have been used on it in the past but I'm not sure what the current provision is.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Can i mention route 700 Brighton to Portsmouth which I thought was a through service but it appears in the timetable as split into sections.
There's an earlier comment about it (on 10th March). It got split into 3 a few years ago.

Statto

Established Member
Thanks in advance

If you don't want to use the car, there's quite a few locations which you can connect to the 11A/11C which are, Perry Barr, Erdington, Acocks Green, Barewood, Handsworth Soho Road, Dudley Road City Hospital, which are served by plenty of buses from the City Centre, & the bus from the City Centre doesn't take long, 11A/11C stop at or near quite a few stations too, one being appropriately named Winson Green/Outer Circle on the Metro

WM Bus

If you don't want to use the car, there's quite a few locations which you can connect to the 11A/11C which are, Perry Barr, Erdington, Acocks Green, Barewood, Handsworth Soho Road, Dudley Road City Hospital, which are served by plenty of buses from the City Centre
Other areas on the 11 with high frequency routes to/from the City Centre are Yardley (X1/X2 Express 60 via Small Heath), Selly Oak (X20/X21/X22 via University and 61/63 via Bristol Road), Ward End (55/94), Kings Heath (50), Hall Green (6), Harborne (23/24), Bromford Bridge (X12/X70) etc.

I use 55/94 (which combine to every 4 mins) and the route is fairly direct out of City Centre, its timetabled to take about 16 minutes till it gets to the 11.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It’s not actually a coach service, it’ll be run using an XLines Wright Streetdeck.

info is on the gov.uk website as a registered new route
Please provide a link to and a relevant quote from your source, please.

M60lad

Does anybody have any idea what route the new Newcastle to Scarborough service will take?

Status
Not open for further replies.