• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Longest journey between platforms (without using the footbridge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfowkes

At Whittlesford Parkway (my local station), if you can't use the footbridge (because you have a wheelchair or whatever), to get from P1 to P2 it's a 4.1 mile journey:

Capture47.PNG

Is this the longest in the country, or is there somewhere even worse?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
At Whittlesford Parkway (my local station), if you can't use the footbridge (because you have a wheelchair or whatever), to get from P1 to P2 it's a 4.1 mile journey:

View attachment 105456

Why not the yellow road immediately “under” the station? The given route uses a different part of it, after all?

Deafdoggie

Established Member
It depends what the criteria are. Take Kidsgrove as an example, to get from platform 1 to 2 you need to go to Longport and get a train back. That's 4 miles to walk there then the train ride back.
Although I can't think of a reason you'd do that.

Veteran Member
Why not the yellow road immediately “under” the station? The given route uses a different part of it, after all?
The part shown on the map has a paved footway; the part you are suggesting doesn't and I wouldn't care to walk it! BTW GA website says it's 1.7m by road.

[.n]

Beats my local example of Dorchester South where I think its about 0.7 mile

Spandau

A platform change from 1 to 3 (or vice versa) at Holyhead involves a major hike from one side of the inner harbour to the other. This adventure is not helped by poor signage, misleading information on the very few screens and apparent lack of a working PA system.

jfowkes

The part shown on the map has a paved footway; the part you are suggesting doesn't and I wouldn't care to walk it! BTW GA website says it's 1.7m by road.

Yeah it's walkable on the verge, but not at all pleasant. Out of the question with a wheelchair.

MikeWM

Established Member
Yeah it's walkable on the verge, but not at all pleasant. Out of the question with a wheelchair.

Hinxton Road (on Google's suggested route) doesn't have a footway either, but you're probably safer walking/wheelchairing that than the A505!

I do seem to recall this road being rather flooded in parts when I walked it earlier this year (late March, I think), however - it was a bit concerning as it was getting dark and I didn't want to have to retrace my steps.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

View attachment 105456

Imagine:
"I'll come from London and stay in the Holiday Inn that's really convenient for the station".
*arrives*
"Oh, right".

jfowkes

I do seem to recall this road being rather flooded in parts when I walked it earlier this year (late March, I think), however - it was a bit concerning as it was getting dark and I didn't want to have to retrace my steps.
True, there's no footpath between Hinxton and Duxford, and you do get cars going quite fast down there. I'm always careful to drive quite slowly because you get lots of cyclists and walkers using that road.

And yeah there's no street lighting and it can get muddy and flooded very easily. And there's a very narrow bridge over the river at one point.

So actually this is probably the shortest route that has paths (almost) all the way, at 4.6 miles:

Capture47.PNG

Although there is no footpath at all for about 200 yards once you get off the main road on the eastern side, so really there is no safe wheelchair route at all.

Lemmy99uk

Seascale on the Cumbrian Coast has no footbridge, and the only way from one side to the other is via a narrow road bridge under the railway with no footway, and on such a sharp bend that there are mirrors provided for motorists to see on-coming traffic.

If you were to preclude that route for a wheelchair then it would be over 8 miles to get from platform to platform, mostly with no footway and partly on a very busy A road (also with no footway).

Status
Not open for further replies.