• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Longest journeys done by rolling stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayman Ilham

So basically this topic is about the longest services ever done by each rolling stock in Britain (in terms of journey time, not distance); it can be any service that has ever happened by that unit, even if it only occurred once - here's some I know:

Class 142 - Holyhead to Scarborough (5 hours)* WHY?
Class 150 - Holyhead to Llanelli (6 hours)* ATW
Class 153 - Shrewsbury to Cardiff Central via Llanindrod (5 hours) ATW
Class 156 - Glasgow Queen Street to Mallaig (5¼ hours) Scotrail
Class 158 - Pwllheli to Lowestoft (8½ hours) Central Trains
Class 166 - London Paddington to Hereford (3½ hours) GWR
Class 170 - Norwich to Liverpool Lime Street (5½ hours) CT
Class 175 - Manchester Piccadilly to Milford Haven (6 hours) ATW
Class 185 - Manchester Airport to Edinburgh via Newcastle (4 hours) TPX
Class 220 - Aberdeen to Penzance (13½ hours)+ XC
Class 317 - London Kings Cross to Newcastle (4 hours)* GNER
Class 319 - Brighton to Rugby (2¾ hours) Southern
Class 321 - London Kings Cross to Leeds (3½ hours)* GNER
Class 322 - London Euston to Manchester Airport (3⅓ hours) NWT
Class 323 - Birmingham New Street to Liverpool Lime Street (2½ hours)* CT
Class 350 - Manchester Airport to Edinburgh via Preston (3½ hours) TPX
Class 380 - North Berwick to Ayr (3 hours) Scotrail
Class 390 - London Euston to Edinburgh (5½ hours) Virgin

Feel free to add more and/or correct any I've listed!
+Also done by Class 221 and HST
*Route not normally done by this train

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
How does Brighton - Rugby tally against Brighton - Bedford, for the 319s?

Would the longest for a 377 be one of the previous longer-distance Thameslink runs from North of London to somewhere in Kent? Eg. to Ashford International, IIRC?

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The 153, there's one Cardiff to Shrewsbury via Swansea and Llandod.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There's probably been longer in the past, but would the current 142 run be Southport to Leeds via Manchester Victoria and Huddersfield?

dk1

Veteran Member
Slight mistake there mate. 170s do not work Norwich-Liverpool & haven't done since 2008.

UPDATED - Just seen you put CT alongside.

Last edited:

jindivik

Whenever someone asks me about getting to Milford Haven from Piccadilly my heart bleeds a little bit for them!

D365

Veteran Member
I'm probably right in thinking that London-Kings Lynn will be the longest journey made by several types of EMU in (West) East Anglia.

Ayman Ilham

There's probably been longer in the past, but would the current 142 run be Southport to Leeds via Manchester Victoria and Huddersfield?
If you know of any longer routes from back in the day, please list them as this is about both past and present! :) And there's already a Leeds to Southport service on a 142??? Can't wait for the Scotrail Turbostars to take over on that route then! Would be a massive upgrade replacing the worst DMU in Britain with the best :D
How does Brighton - Rugby tally against Brighton - Bedford, for the 319s?

Would the longest for a 377 be one of the previous longer-distance Thameslink runs from North of London to somewhere in Kent? Eg. to Ashford International, IIRC?
They're almost the same I think, but that service was actually as far as Gatwick Airport, not Brighton so the journey time for that is actually less than 2 hours. As for your second question, does it take longer to get to Ashford than Brighton from London? (Not including high-speed)

JN114

Established Member
Class 332 - 19 minutes, London Paddington to Heathrow T5

JamesRowden

Established Member

Southern once ran a London Bridge to Brighton via Hastings service during disruption on the Brighton mainline. A passenger posted on RailUKForums that the service ran non-stop between London Bridge and St Leonards Warrior Square but got held up behind a Hastings line stopper. I think that London to Hastings would have taken at least 80 minutes, Hastings to Brighton would have taken at least an hour, and there would have been the time taken to reverse at Hastings.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
150s have never been booked to work Holyhead to Llanelli, may have substituted. There is a current run Penzance to Cardiff Cen 6 hrs 16 mins.

Ayman Ilham

150s have never been booked to work Holyhead to Llanelli, may have substituted. There is a current run Penzance to Cardiff Cen 6 hrs 16 mins.
It was a substitution of the usual 175, but it still counts - however, if Penzance to Cardiff is that long, I guess that overtakes it!

AM9

Veteran Member
I'm probably right in thinking that London-Kings Lynn will be the longest journey made by several types of EMU in (West) East Anglia.

I believe that the 17:02 from Liverpool St to Norwich is the current longest run for a 321 EMU. That's about 25 minutes more than the Kings Cross to Kings Lynn run.

ValleyLines142

Established Member

There's actually the 1720 Crewe to Cardiff via Shrewsbury, Ll Wells and Swansea. But I believe this is usually a 150.

The 142, I believe there's a Middlesbrough to Carlisle service, if it still runs.

There's also, again if they still run, a 153 or 156 run from Preston to Carlisle via Barrow.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There is one daily though 175 from Fishguard Harbour to Manchester P.
That is marginally further/longer than Milford Haven (6h25m).

pemma

Veteran Member
Class 185 - Manchester to Edinburgh (4 hours) TPX

Most are now 350s but this Friday working is still booked as 185s: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y70799/2016/07/08/advanced Journey time is 3 hours 40 between Manchester Airport and Edinburgh.

Class 321 - London to Birmingham (2½ hours) NSE
Class 322 - London to Manchester (3⅓ hours) NWT

The NWT open access service was actually Manchester Airport to Euston via Trent Valley as NWT weren't allowed to operate London services from Piccadilly.

321/9s were used on Leeds to Kings Cross services services when the mk4s were grounded - given they have a 100mph top speed I imagine they took longer than 2½ hours to get between the two cities.

I think the longest 323 journey will be Birmingham to Liverpool Lime Street under Central Trains, while the longest 350 service would have been the daily Liverpool to Euston via Trent Valley Central/Silverlink service (around 3 hours 40.)

Last edited by a moderator:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If you know of any longer routes from back in the day, please list them as this is about both past and present! :) And there's already a Leeds to Southport service on a 142??? Can't wait for the Scotrail Turbostars to take over on that route then! Would be a massive upgrade replacing the worst DMU in Britain with the best :D

There's one service a day from Southport to Leeds, usually formed of 142+150 but sometimes a pair of 142s and occasionally a pair of 150s. This is effectively a Southport to Victoria, a Victoria to Huddersfield, and a Huddersfield to Leeds service joined together to transfer a pair of units from west to east. Between Victoria and Huddersfield it's a peak extra and omits Slaithwaite and Marsden. Forms the 1801 departure from Huddersfield.

This should NOT be confused with the proposed hourly Southport to Leeds service though, as that will operate via Rochdale and Hebden Bridge, NOT Huddersfield. There may be some variation in route East of Sowerby Bridge as to whether it runs via Dewsbury or Bradford.

In Northern Spirit days, 142s and 144s occasionally stood in for 158s on Transpennine Express services. Hull to Manchester on a crowded unrefurbished 144 was "fun"!

Last edited:

Hophead

Established Member
Southern 313s make occasional appearances on Brighton - Southampton runs

pemma

Veteran Member
I remember class 142s from Scarborough to Liverpool in the late 80s.

Some North TPE services were booked as 150s before better Sprinters (like 158s) were introduced but Pacers did fill in on occasions right up until TPE became a separate franchise in 2004.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Wrong. I'm fairly certain 321s did Kings Cross to Leeds for a while (183 miles). That's further than Euston to New Street (113 miles).

They did, but it wasn't planned. It was only for a few days on an emerghency timetable substitution basis when the entire Mk4 fleet got grounded shortly after introduction!

NSE

Established Member
I have a feeling a 317 did Kings Cross - Newcastle when the MK4's were grounded

Ayman Ilham

They did, but it wasn't planned. It was only for a few days on an emerghency timetable substitution basis when the entire Mk4 fleet got grounded shortly after introduction!

It still counts, this thread is not just about present regular services, it is out of ALL services that ever ran (as long as it happened at least once) just to let you all know!

Clansman

Established Member
Currently
HST: Dundee to Plymouth (10h14m) XC
Class 170: Glasgow Central to Inverness via Aberdeen (5h24m) SR
Class 156: Mallaig to Glasgow Queen Street Low Level (5h14m) SR
Class 380: Ayr to North Berwick (3h0m) SR

Ayman Ilham

Currently
HST: Dundee to Plymouth (10h14m) XC
Class 170: Glasgow Central to Inverness via Aberdeen (5h24m) SR
Class 156: Mallaig to Glasgow Queen Street Low Level (5h14m) SR
Class 380: Ayr to North Berwick (3h0m) SR

I already mentioned the west highland one on the 156, and Norwich to Liverpool (which was 170 operated before 2008) is still longer than the current longest 170 route (Glasgow to Inverness via Aberdeen) by 14 minutes!

Last edited:

Mordac

Established Member

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
A Class 143 once worked from Carmarthen to Penzance in Wales & Borders days. I'm not sure of the exact timings now but it was over 7 hours. Replaced sick 158 at short notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.