• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Longest Time for TOC to pay compensation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumble

I will start this off with the fact that my lad travelled to Liverpool on December 1st
He forgot his railcard and was excessed £26.30
He put in a request for a refund in mid december
Avanti responded on 17 January 2020
He got an email asking where to send a cheque to this week
I make this over 6 months

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StephenHunter

Established Member
I can beat that. On a trip paid for a union I was a steward for, a twenty minute delay on Virgin Trains East Coast (due to a fatality) just before Halloween 2015 resulted in my missing a connection at York for Harrogate, resulting in a delay of over an hour. I initially was only given a half leg refund and for various reasons, they didn't take into account the whole hour. Because they mistakenly marked the case as closed and did not act after I chased them in March, it took until June 2016 before they paid not only the full single fare but I also got £100 travel vouchers as a goodwill gesture. The union let me keep those and the vouchers paid for a couple of other trips, including to Spa Valley.

Bedpan

Established Member
When my daughter was 16 she forgot her railcard and was charged a penalty fare - all for a pound or so for the one station journey with friends who she said had half fare tickets despite being 16 also. We appealed it but it was refused so we never got our money back. FCC's lost far more than they gained from the penalty fare though, for two or three years I made sure I avoided travelling with them unless absolutely necessary. That must have been about 20 years ago.

SussexLad

I can beat all of that. A year with cross country to compensate for stranding me in Birmingham!

Taunton

Established Member
I went on Amtrak, Chicago to Los Angeles, a two night journey, in 1980, just when they made the change from traditional Roomettes to the new Superliners. The rooms in the latter had less features which the tickets, bought in the UK, did not reflect. The conductor knew the situation, gave me forms for a refund, all filled in, handed back, they would post me the refund.

40 years on, I'm still waiting ...

Status
Not open for further replies.