• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia; Longest walk from station entrance to platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sem34090

Fairly self-explanatory; I nominate Dovey Junction.

Obviously this excludes stations like Smallbrook Junction which have no access other than by train. I can't imagine that there are too many of those around these days though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ANDREW_D_WEBB

High Wycombe if coming from the town centre and needing a train from the main platform for London trains.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Fair way from main entrance / concourse to Manchester Piccadilly platforms 13/14.

Similarly main entrance / concourse to Leeds platform 17.

davetheguard

Established Member
Paddington suburban platforms (Bishop's Road) if coming from the main entrances (ramp to lawn from Praed Street or Circle/District line platforms).

jfowkes

Nottingham main entrance to platform 4 is about 300m. Certainly seems like a long way when you're running for a train.

berneyarms

Established Member
At 0.7 miles walk along the path from the entrance on the main road to the platform, Dovey Junction surely doesn't have any competition?

itsonlyme

Slightly off topic but for longest walk from train to Booking office . I would suggest Crewe, Northern end of Platform 11. Route most of platform 11 then subway to Weston Road entrance, then walk across car park to road, along to roundabout, turn left over road bridge, enter station forecourt, into booking hall. Covid or not absolute ridiculous extends my walk home by 8 minutes.

Mikey C

Established Member
Paddington suburban platforms (Bishop's Road) if coming from the main entrances (ramp to lawn from Praed Street or Circle/District line platforms).
A number of the London termini require sizeable walks, especially if you come from the "wrong entrance", e.g the St Pancras domestic platforms from the Euston Road, or the London Bridge through platforms from the Underground

Platforms 16-19 at Victoria are a bit of a trek, similarly 4-6 at Marylebone

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Slightly off topic but for longest walk from train to Booking office . I would suggest Crewe, Northern end of Platform 11. Route most of platform 11 then subway to Weston Road entrance, then walk across car park to road, along to roundabout, turn left over road bridge, enter station forecourt, into booking hall. Covid or not absolute ridiculous extends my walk home by 8 minutes.

Surely the ludicrous lengths of COVID-driven one way systems are a different question?

pdeaves

Established Member
I suppose the response may (depending on station) vary depending on whether someone needs to travel via a huge long 'step free' bridge or not. Some (e.g. Barnetby, Camelon) are massive zig-zag diversions from the direct stepped route.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I suppose the response may (depending on station) vary depending on whether someone needs to travel via a huge long 'step free' bridge or not. Some (e.g. Barnetby, Camelon) are massive zig-zag diversions from the direct stepped route.
Is there any way of legitimately exiting the Edinburgh-bound platform at Camelon station without negotiating the enormously high overbridge?

superjohn

Platforms 7&8 at Cambridge are a fair walk from the entrance due to the location of the footbridge.

[.n]

Dorchester South - From main entrance to Weymouth platform via step free route is just under 0.7 miles

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Getting to the Midland Main Line platforms at St Pancras from the main road (which I still consider the "proper" and obvious entrance to St P, and which certainly is the entrance from some of the Underground lines) is a hell of a hike. It might not be the longest, but it certainly feels especially bad if you were a regular user before the rebuild - when you could almost touch the trains when you came in off the street. It's another example of a London terminus rebuild which is slower to get around than what was replaced. (London Bridge wasn't great before, from some directions, but takes forever now; and the new Kings Cross, when they enforce the exit-only barriers, adds enough time coming in off of the street to make the difference between catching or missing a train.)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'm not sure if ity entirely counts, but if you enter Hackney Central intending to catch a train at Hackney Downs (which you can access without passing another gate line) it's over 400m (other than platform 1). Even further if you count passing under the station sign beside Oslo as the entrance

Last edited:

johntea

Established Member
Slightly different but Manchester Airport station is a fair old walk to/from any of the actual airport terminals!

Thebaz

Go back a few years and I'd say any of the platforms at West Croydon, but particularly platform 4 (down). Things have changed slightly for the better with the former Wimbledon bay platform filled in so that platform 3 (Up) could be shifted back towards the station entrance by 50 or so meters. Platform 4 is still where it is though so it remains a hike from the London Road entrance but at least you can now also access it from the bus station and tram stop. The location of the only footbridge also means that interchange is a lengthy hike. TBH West Croydon is ripe for remodelling - even a simple footbridge (not that anything is ever simple these days) between platforms 3 & 4 at the London end would be welcome.

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
The covered walkway from the SECC carpark to Exhibition Centre in Glasgow is quite lengthy. I'm maybe pushing the limits of calling it a station entrance as you can use the walkway for other purposes, but I think it was built explicitly to serve the station?

I jogged through it on one of the hottest days last year, in a bid to avoid negotiating the rats nest of arterial roads and flyovers around the edge of Finnieston, and it was an unpleasantly long hot slog.

geoffk

Established Member
At 0.7 miles walk along the path from the entrance on the main road to the platform, Dovey Junction surely doesn't have any competition?
Are you allowed to drive up there? The signaller presumably did.

PeterC

Established Member
Are you allowed to drive up there? The signaller presumably did.
Looking at StreetView the track is gated, I would guess that the vehicle gate is locked but the magnification is insufficient to be sure.

Does the path legally form part of the station?

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I think that the access road to Chapel-en-le-Frith station is 'railway owned' and part of the station lease area. There is a 'totem' sign at the bottom of it. The road is 0.4 mile long according to Google Maps (to the Buxton-bound platform only). Slightly more for pedestrian access to the Manchester-bound platform via the level crossing. The steep road zig-zags up the hill. Google suggests a slightly shorter pedestrian walk by deviating from the access road to a path across fields (0.3 miles). There can't be many other UK stations where that sort of consideration is relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.