• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Lost modern "classic" liveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

went up to the North East last year to visit a mate and we went to Gateshead bus station for a look, imagine my surprise when I thought that North Western had made a come back very similar livery.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ClydeCoaster

I'll add to the Kelvin Scottish appreciation, especially the Cumbernauld Express version. Strathclyde Buses even though it was technically pre-dereg.

I really liked Cumberland's pre-Stagecoach CMS red and cream livery, it was classy and restrained and suited everything it was applied to (though bizarrely the Routemasters took a more extreme twist).

I also had a real soft spot for West Riding's green and cream "up-sweep", which was set off by the red wheels.

Thinking about it while typing, I also really liked the simple but effective logos for Strathclyde, CMS and West Riding also.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Ironically the Strathclyde Orange (sorry Strathclyde Red) and Black would probably adapt well now to modern vehicles with all the black surrounds!

That's a great point! Some liveries were just ahead of their time.

I guess the bright orange (!) must have seemed pretty shocking when introduced compared to the more sombre maroon (Edinburgh)/ dark blue (Dundee)/ dark green (Aberdeen) - but I appreciate the sensitivities of Glaswegian colour schemes (with the old "green" livery replaced by something a bit more, erm, favourable to some)

I'll add to the Kelvin Scottish appreciation, especially the Cumbernauld Express version

It's great to see so much love for Kelvin, especially as they struggled as a bus company (lasting less than five years as a separate company, losing the competition with Strathclyde, closing Milngavie, a history fraught with industrial problems and struggling to get vehicles on the road each morning), but a great colour scheme (quite an unusual one, given that most SBG companies had pretty plain liveries of one colour plus generally cream in horizontal bands at the time)

Used to visit family in Luton and Hemel a lot in the 90s – both the red and cream Luton Bus and the later blue and yellow The Shires liveries were good. Closer to home, the final iteration of Kelvin Central’s many livery variations (KCB Network) seemed a bit boring at the time, but with hindsight was actually very smart.
I always had a liking for the liveries that GRT rolled out on their subsidiaries. When FirstBus acquired SB holdings in 1996 I hoped they would adapt a cream, red and orange livery on the same basis but they went for all over red instead.

Not my photos, credit to the photographers.

I agree about the Shires livery and local names, it reminded me of Boro'line which I liked too.

Good call on the GRT style liveries, they were pretty smart too in my opinion. I particularly liked the "coach" version

Again not my photos, credit to the photographers

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
One livery I did quite like was Maidstone Boroline, whose colours were reminiscent of Scottish Citylink (Mk2), which I also liked. I'm fairly sure they were both Best Impressions designs, but I'm happy to be corrected.

There are quite a few photos online, but I chose this one as it's of a relatively rare Leyland Royal Tiger/Van Hool.

duncombec

As well as "British Bus" M&D and London & Country, I've always liked the simplicity and colour combination of the original Metrobus of Orpington livery (as also seen on Rossendale school bus Olympians years after Metrobus had sold them to Rossendale)...

northrob

Great OP and so many great answers.

It seems that I agree with a number of answers and notice that I have a tendency to like liveries (before most of the country just saw on of three main liveries) that have a common style with a local identifier. With that it’s no surprise that I liked the following (All photos are not mine, credit to the original photographer):

Yorkshire Rider – as commented earlier, looked good on about everything. I was disappointed that we didn’t get a Yorkshire Rider - York though...

United/Tees/TMS diagonal Stripes.

North Western/Bee Line/Liverline diagonal livery

North Western – 2nd entry for them for their final colour scheme with the North Western (insert name) before the corporate Arriva colours

West Riding/Yorkshire Woollen/Selby & District with the upswept front.

MTL – Although like the OP, I preferred it the early incarnation with the local names like Wirral Peninsular Buses, Southport & District and even the infamous MTL Manchester rather than the late generic MTL North, whose font seem to detract from the livery. Compare and contrast:

Chesterfield Transport - Blue/Yellow/White

Go North East – Red/Blue again with the zigzags and not the straight line
GRT Holdings
Blazefield Holdings final livery – another vote for this one

Am I allowed London Transport Red with the grey skirt (and white stripe on double-deckers), and with local identifiers like, London Forest, Selkent etc rather than just the generic London Transport?

Also mentions for:

Wear Buses – Green/Grey
Maidstone & District – another vote for the Stenning livery.
Edinburgh Transport - although I think that was mainly because it stood out compared to most of the local buses in Edinburgh...

Having said all that, is the Stagecoach 3-stripe livery that dominated the late 1980s & 90s allowed?

Man of Kent

One livery I did quite like was Maidstone Boroline, whose colours were reminiscent of Scottish Citylink (Mk2), which I also liked. I'm fairly sure they were both Best Impressions designs, but I'm happy to be corrected.
Boro'line was indeed a Best Impressions makeover. It made a second appearance as the Luton & District livery that has also attracted some appreciation here.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Boro'line was indeed a Best Impressions makeover. It made a second appearance as the Luton & District livery that has also attracted some appreciation here.

Bit harsh to suggest that Boroline and The Shires were the same

Some similarities to be sure, but I thought The Shires was a lot more coherent

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Man of Kent

Bit harsh to suggest that Boroline and The Shires were the same

Some similarities to be sure, but I thought The Shires was a lot more coherent
Choose your vehicles...

I couldn't fathom out why some years after their demise, I saw what appeared to be a Boro'line-liveried Alexander-bodied Olympian in Oxford. Turned out to be The Shires from Aylesbury.

RustySpoons

Have to admit those were a bit before my time. It was only really in 2001ish that I started to gain an interest in the industry, just as Blazefield took over the Lancashire depots from Stagecoach which is probably why I'm most keen on that design compared to the relatively bland Stagecoach Stripes that dominated the town previously.

I'm also quite a fan of the relatively simple designs, and despite being boring they were at least unique which is something that seems to be missing with most modern designs

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Choose your vehicles...

I couldn't fathom out why some years after their demise, I saw what appeared to be a Boro'line-liveried Alexander-bodied Olympian in Oxford. Turned out to be The Shires from Aylesbury.

I get that there were similarities but thought that the Shires was just a better, more cohesive livery and a nicer shade of blue.

ClydeCoaster

Talking of Strathclyde's bright orange being ahead of its time, I have to admit I'm finding a lot of rhe retro liveries making an appearance these days far better suit the modern crop of vehicles with swathes of black than the corporate schemes.

fgwrich

Established Member
I'm surprised there hasn't been much mentioning of another former South Western operator yet, in the form of the later Western National "Badgers & Flags" livery. A Livery which, in my opinion, would still look good on any modern vehicle to this day.

Simulary to that, has to be the former Badgerline livery, which has undergone a very impressive renascence with First Groups Western operations.

Simulary to that, has to be the former Badgerline livery, which has undergone a very impressive renascence with First Groups Western operations.

Good call on the Badgerline livery, it's nice to see its modern renaissance too

awsnews

Red Ensign Coaches, simple but effective.
Speedlink, I think this was quite bold at the time
The silver and red version of National coach livery used by Black & White

Andyh82

Established Member
I'm surprised there hasn't been much mentioning of another former South Western operator yet, in the form of the later Western National "Badgers & Flags" livery. A Livery which, in my opinion, would still look good on any modern vehicle to this day.

I agree on the Western National one

Also I’m a fan of most liveries that are green and yellow, so First Eastern National was a favourite as well.

A few posts ago, the GRT liveries were mentioned, I also thought the GRT Advance livery was nice as well, even Manchester had a version at one point immediately before barbie was introduced

cnjb8

Established Member

I wish they would extend the current Badgerline brand out of Weston, maybe make it the spare bus livery?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

It was mentioned earlier by a poster who actually preferred the one that preceded it. I'm with you though - I really like the badger and flags and it suited almost every vehicle type

I wish they would extend the current Badgerline brand out of Weston, maybe make it the spare bus livery?

It's such a strong brand, I don't think it would work as a spare bus livery; you need something more neutral

I wasn't so keen on Speedlink but I did like their Jetlink scheme

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I'm also quite a fan of the relatively simple designs

Oh definitely, there's something understated about a simple design. I thought the Harrogate version of it worked well, a good take on the original Harrogate livery after West Yorkshire Road Car was split up. I suppose that the buses I usually saw were Keighley, and the last Blazefield livery was just a bit corporate bland compared to the earlier ones.

Coastliner had stuck with blue and cream for a long long time.

Also I’m a fan of most liveries that are green and yellow, so First Eastern National was a favourite as well.

I like the bold primary colours, they just look cleaner and fresher. Compare a Bristol VR in Badgerline and a Bristol VR in red, and the latter just looks dowdy.

Last edited:

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Beeline has to be right up there for me.

I also used to quite like the Reading Buses cream and maroon, although I guess it was starting to look a bit dated by the 2000s.

This incarnation of Southern Vectis was another, but I guess had also become dated.

jammy36

It was mentioned earlier by a poster who actually preferred the one that preceded it. I'm with you though - I really like the badger and flags and it suited almost every vehicle type

Hand up, yes it was me that mentioned the tickets/flags livery, but plumped for the preceding cream, red and blue livery.

I thought the badgerline era flags livery looked great on the newer stock such as the Plaxton Pointer bodied Darts and Beaver bodied Mercedes minibuses, with the full red destination box, oversized badger, etc.

Personally I thought the scheme sat less comfortably on older vehicles, especially the ECW/Bristol VRs that were so ubiquitous in the WN fleet then.

Somehow I thought the livery looked a little bare and unbalanced on the VR, especially in the absence of the red box around the blinds. To my eyes the stark white, with no colour on the top half of the bus, really emphasised the (by then) outdated design of ECWs bodywork in a way that the previous scheme managed not to. I also found the livery looked good when freshly outshopped, but wasn't forgiving of road dirt and dents and quickly became scruffy. I thought the earlier livery didn't suffer this so badly.

Oddly I thought the later blue with red strip variation under First looked a little more balanced on the VR

But obviously as originally pointed out, it's all very subjective - isn't all design (and probably tainted by my own nostalgia)!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
obviously as originally pointed out, it's all very subjective - isn't all design (and probably tainted by my own nostalgia)!
As I put in the first post, it is all subjective. @Eyersey468 is a fan of the EY maroon and cream, I'm less so, but vive la difference. Some seem to be universally liked (e.g. W&D red, white and black) and others are more divisive but glad it's a thread that has got people thinking.

We are all prisoners of our own nostalgia. Something that our younger forum members will have to adjust to in due course, as we all have done!!!

TheSel

A few people have mentioned Merseybus' maroon and cream, but who remembers their first try at a post-deregulation livery - two shades of green, very reminiscent of Leeds Corporation.

1593617656291.png

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
A few people have mentioned Merseybus' maroon and cream, but who remembers their first try at a post-deregulation livery - two shades of green, very reminiscent of Leeds Corporation.

View attachment 80226

I didn't remember that. I thought they went from verona green and cream to the maroon and cream. Do we also have those two liveries in this shot?

If it weren't for the bus and the fleetname/ticket machine, the rest of this scene looks like it could be 10 years earlier!!!

TheSel

Yes - all three liveries just about visible. Not many vehicles painted in the 'two shades of green' - 15-20 perhaps. Somewhere I have a list. I'll try to find it.

Eyersey468

Established Member
As I put in the first post, it is all subjective. @Eyersey468 is a fan of the EY maroon and cream, I'm less so, but vive la difference. Some seem to be universally liked (e.g. W&D red, white and black) and others are more divisive but glad it's a thread that has got people thinking.

We are all prisoners of our own nostalgia. Something that our younger forum members will have to adjust to in due course, as we all have done!!!
I am starting to warm to the new livery EY have but I still think it will be a pain to match when buses get scraped.

Status
Not open for further replies.