• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Trivia) Lowest permanent speed limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasLunatic

East Gates Junction has a limit of 10mph going towards Colchester Town, and the crossovers at Lowestoft are also restricted to 10mph. Is there anywhere on the network (except sidings) where the limit is lower...?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Burneside level crossing is 5mph

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Railsigns

Established Member
Banavie swing bridge on the West Highland line & Clachnaharry swing bridge on the Far North line both 5mph.

Permissible speed over Banavie swing bridge is indeed 5 mph but Clachnaharry is 10 mph.

By amazing coincidence, Banavie swing bridge is bridge no. U.B.5 and Clachnaharry is U.B.10.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
There's a 4 mph board near Washwood somewhere on a siding that used to lead into an industrial estate.

najaB

Veteran Member
There's a 4 mph board near Washwood somewhere on a siding that used to lead into an industrial estate.
How common are PSR boards that don't end in 5 or 0 - that must be a pretty rare thing? Do train speedometers even register 4mph?

a_c_skinner

Established Member
What is the limit on the curve out of Carnforth heading towards Bentham, Settle Jn thence Leeds. It always seems less than walking speed.

neilb62

IIRC it's 10mph but the 14X struggle getting round due to the long fixed wheelbase, I stuck there a couple of times when we had work over there.

Sent from my iPhone using fat fingers and a squint.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
How common are PSR boards that don't end in 5 or 0 - that must be a pretty rare thing? Do train speedometers even register 4mph?

No, 10mph is (apparently) the reliable lower limit (or so Northern told us, the old one).

4 mph might be
  1. a well-considered attempt to catch the drivers' attention
  2. an mph equivalent of something (6.5 kph??) or
  3. a joke.

My 10p's on c).

Railsigns

Established Member
There used to be a few 8 mph PSR cut-out signs on the immediate approach to King's Cross station.

MotCO

Established Member
4 mph might be
  1. a well-considered attempt to catch the drivers' attention
  2. an mph equivalent of something (6.5 kph??) or
  3. a joke.

Slightly off topic, but the speed limit at a local garden centre is 4¾ mph :)

RichmondCommu

Established Member
What's the speed limit through Dent? Given the foot crossing between the platforms, plus the fact that the station is on a curve the speed limit must be pretty low I would have thought.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

I think it wasn't intended to be completely accurate - more an instruction to proceed "at walking pace".

It's still there I think. It's a metal cut out sign.

steamybrian

Established Member
The lowest speed restriction I can remember was walking pace on the now closed line between Weymouth and Weymouth Quay. A man with a red flag used to proceed any train using the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.