• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most attractive London station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JW16

In your opinion, which is the most attractive and impressive looking station in London?

For me, it is probably St. Pancras.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DasLunatic

Barbican. Call me strange, but for some reason I really like 1960/70s architecture and the tower blocks look oddly menacing from on the platform.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Hanwell, belongs on a heritage railway.

Crystal Palace or Paddington

Deepgreen

Established Member
Waterloo - still retains the overall basic open character it has had for decades. Marylebone is pleasant. Canary Wharf Jubilee Line is impressive. St. Pancras's facade can't be beaten, although Victoria could be good if de-cluttered.

markindurham

St Pancras for me too - and what a sight for those arriving there from the Continent :)

A very close runner-up, though, has to be Marylebone.

tsr

Established Member
Another vote for Crystal Palace. Bloomin' freezing in winter, but the main buildings are breathtaking, especially compared to most other stuff in South London - and kept in good nick by LOROL, at least cosmetically.

(I would also like to add that there are a few much smaller stations around London, such as on the Southern Metro, which are attractive, too, but just not grandiose. Penge West; some on the Tattenham Corner branch such as Chipstead; and, if bits weren't a bit dilapidated on the Fast lines, even Wandsworth Common! Then there are oddities like Battersea Park, which are very interesting and like an antiques shop of bits and bobs of railway architecture. A subject, no doubt, for a separate thread.)

Are we allowed the Tube? I rather like Westminster!

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
Paddington, Kings Cross, St Pancras. Waterloo and Marylebone also look alright.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I think Liverpool Street, at least platforms 1-10, has the potential to be much more attractive. There''s lovely steelwork on the columns. With a lick of paint, and replacing the dinghy yellowing corrugated plastic roof "glazing" with clean, clear panels, it would be far nicer.

Still need to do something with the horrible elevated shopping arcade

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm going to be controversial here - Kings Cross (not controversial) and... Euston :eek:. They're attractive to me because they lead me home. :D

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
With so many stations you would probably need to have different categories -
Large Station - probably St.Pancras
Medium Station - Herne Hill
Small Station - Hatch End (rebuilt 1911 façade)
Station beach - Cannon Street

Ladder23

Established Member
For me, always always been a big fan of Piccadilly Circus, has a real vintage feel.

No doubt St Pancras is great too.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Wapping, at platform level, looking south and thinking of the imagination that created that tunnel and the lives lost bringing it to reality. As an old South East Londoner I shall remain forever grateful.

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Richmond station for it's Art Deco station building complete with clock and the attractive (at least in my view) platform canopies.

I'm also very fond of Kings Cross since its refurbishment, especially now that you can once again see the front of the station.

AM9

Veteran Member
Canary Wharf and most of the '30s Charles Holden designs, (Southgate, Uxbridge, Gants Hill, Perivale etc.).

All Line Rover

Established Member
I like the simplicity of Euston, which is attractive in its own way. The concourse would also be beautiful if it weren't for the retail clutter both inside and outside. As it currently stands, much of the concourse smells of fast food because eateries have been retrofitted that the station was not designed to handle. And hiding the station behind a cluster of ugly office blocks didn't help.

St Pancras station is the most visually attractive station, hands down. It also blends well into the surrounding area (which you'd expect given the cost of the restoration!). But for domestic passengers, it isn't the best equipped.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm also very fond of Kings Cross since its refurbishment, especially now that you can once again see the front of the station.

If Kings Cross wasn't sat next to St Pancras, you'd actually be impressed! If only Euston looked like that from Euston Road.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
A +1 for Liverpool Street from me. Having used it in the "bad old days", the refurb of the late 80s/early 90s is a vast improvement, giving it a light and airy feel.

Overall, it has to be St Pancras though. Walking under the Barlow train shed never gets old.

Antman

Established Member
Crystal Palace for me, the fact that it was my local station for many years might have something to do with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.