• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: most circuitous route between 2 stations on same line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PTR 444

Established Member
The OP stated "2 stations on the same line" (my emboldening).
I don't think Exmouth to Starcross, or Weston to Cardiff, or most other estuaries, really meet that criterion.

Both these pairs are served by the same service though.

DelW

Established Member
Both these pairs are served by the same service though.
OK, but if you use that criterion, then Penzance and Aberdeen (or, for more trains per day, say Pwllheli and Bham International) are "on the same line".
Of course it's up to the OP how he wants to define it, and from post 29 I think he agrees with you not me :oops:

vlad

I thought from the thread title that it'd be something like Crewe to London via Stoke, Birmingham and Northampton, as opposed to the direct route via Lichfield.

Esker-pades

Established Member
then Vauxhall to Queenstown Road (Battersea) <D :p
If you're talking about the Hounslow Loop, they stop at Queenstown Road 1 stop after Vauxhall. Thus, the 2nd time doesn't count.
If you're talking about the Kingston Loop services, they start on the SWML. Queenstown Road isn't on the SWML (it's on the Windsor Line). So, that doesn't count either.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
OK, but if you use that criterion, then Penzance and Aberdeen (or, for more trains per day, say Pwllheli and Bham International) are "on the same line".
Of course it's up to the OP how he wants to define it, and from post 29 I think he agrees with you not me :oops:

I don't somehow think Penzance to Aberdeen will give a very impressive value for the ratio (miles by rail)/(miles as the crow flies) though. :) (Although maybe you could slightly improve the numbers for that one if you allow the crow to tunnel underground in pursuit of a direct line).

If you're talking about the Hounslow Loop, they stop at Queenstown Road 1 stop after Vauxhall. Thus, the 2nd time doesn't count.
If you're talking about the Kingston Loop services, they start on the SWML. Queenstown Road isn't on the SWML (it's on the Windsor Line). So, that doesn't count either.

If I've understood this thread correctly, 'same line' simply means, not changing trains. On that basis, Vauxhall to Queenstown Road via Kingston is quite a clever answer!

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Although you can get a direct train from Coryton to Radyr, you can't get a direct train between those Enfield stations

Ah - sorry. From a quick glance at a map, I'd assumed Coryton and Radyr, being on separate branches, had no through connection...

randyrippley

Established Member
I don't know if it still does, but for years the last Lancaster-Barrow train ran via Morecambe, from which it ran direct to Carnforth via the Hest Bank curve. If you used a boat, Morecambe-Barrow is around four miles, by rail its a lot further - I'd guess at 40?.........though road would be even more

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
If we're counting light rail - then this might be the winner indeed. 1km as the crow flies, 29km by rail (38km if you don't change at Monument!)

Manors/Central to Jesmond/St James would be high figures too, though that's a more tenuous example (since for those pairs changing at Monument reduces the distance massively)

gingertom

Established Member
Pollokshields east to/from Pollokshields west are only a couple of hundred metres apart but you need to go nearly the full length of the Cathcart circle to get from one t'other. Or go in and back out of Glasgow Central.

USBT

Was thinking Blackfriars to Farringdon via the Circle line - it's almost exactly 1km as the crow flies, no idea how far via the Circle Line (longer via S Ken obviously, but you can't do that without changing these days at Edgware Rd).

EDIT: 5.47km via Aldgate

Ladbroke Grove to Notting Hill Gate are 1 mile apart by road (walking) but about 13.5 miles on the Circle line without changing.

HullRailMan

Driffield to York.

30 miles to drive.
Direct train via Hull and Selby around 72 miles!
It’s even quicker to do this journey by bus than train.

There will be similar variances for Bridlington and Beverley as the more direct rail routes no longer exist.

RLBH

Pollokshields east to/from Pollokshields west are only a couple of hundred metres apart but you need to go nearly the full length of the Cathcart circle to get from one t'other. Or go in and back out of Glasgow Central.
46 chains shortest possible route by rail, with reversals. 4 miles 56 chains by an actual service train. The train from Pollockshields West to Central actually passes by Pollockshields East on a line with no platforms, and joins the line at a junction just past the station.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Gravesend to Ebbsfleet on the roundabout Javelin via Ramsgate + Ashford?

2.5 mile walk while the train does 130-odd miles

That's an impressive one! I wonder if an Ebbsfleet to Gravesend ticket would be valid on that long route - since it's obviously absurd to do it that way, but on the other hand it is a direct train.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
That's an impressive one! I wonder if an Ebbsfleet to Gravesend ticket would be valid on that long route - since it's obviously absurd to do it that way, but on the other hand it is a direct train.

I certainly wouldn't try to break my journey on that ticket!

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
London Underground

Hammersmith and stations to Paddington (Bishops Bridge Road) inclusive - Bayswater.
The Circle Line calls at Edgware Road after Paddington, then continues via Baker Street, Kings Cross, Liverpool Street, Tower Hill, Victoria, and High Street Kensington.

By the time you have gone the long way round the loop on a direct train, it is quicker to either walk from Paddington or change to a via High Street Kensington Circle or Wimbledon District.

Also Paddington Bishops Bridge Road to Paddington Praed Street on the Circle. Again, it is simpler and quicker to exit the Bishops Bridge Road platforms and walk through the mainline station to Praed Street.

National Rail

Cumbernauld - Dalmuir.

These trains run via Motherwell, Blantyre, Bridgeton, Glasgow Central Low Level, Patrick, and Yoker, with a mileage of 34.75 miles and a journey time of 90 minutes. By road via the M80 and A814, the distance is 22 miles with a journey time of 35-50 minutes.

HowardGWR

Established Member
The OP stated "2 stations on the same line" (my emboldening).
I don't think Exmouth to Starcross, or Weston to Cardiff, or most other estuaries, really meet that criterion.
They most certainly are - and have direct services between them. The trains do not have to reverse either.

ijmad

Established Member
London Underground

Hammersmith and stations to Paddington (Bishops Bridge Road) inclusive - Bayswater.
The Circle Line calls at Edgware Road after Paddington, then continues via Baker Street, Kings Cross, Liverpool Street, Tower Hill, Victoria, and High Street Kensington.

By the time you have gone the long way round the loop on a direct train, it is quicker to either walk from Paddington or change to a via High Street Kensington Circle or Wimbledon District.

Also Paddington Bishops Bridge Road to Paddington Praed Street on the Circle. Again, it is simpler and quicker to exit the Bishops Bridge Road platforms and walk through the mainline station to Praed Street.

Mill Hill East & Edgware are about 2.5 miles away from each other as the crow flies.

There are many trains per day that leave from one, go down via Charing Cross to Kennington, do the loop and then head back up and to the other.

That's around about a 28 mile trip!

Mikey C

Established Member
As an example of a "regular journey" Cookham to Marlow is probably twice as long as the direct crow flies route, due to having to go in and out of Bourne End

Status
Not open for further replies.