• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA- Most comprehensive route knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
The current way round is folk who sign Norwich don't sign Skegness. However there's a spare link who sign everywhere within reason so some sign the lot.

Back in the dying days of BR, from memory, the link structure (Drivers) was
Core : Lincoln, Grantham, Derby, Coventry (via Leicester/Nuneaton)
A : London-Sheffield (via Derby/Toton/Erewash), Derby-Crewe
B : Manchester (via Stockport, Romiley & Guide Bridge), Peterborough (via Grantham & Oakham), Derby-Birmingham
C : Skegness, Cleethorpes and freight work (Landor St, Kingsbury, Immingham, Brownhills, Bedford for Langley tanks).
There was also an ECS Lincoln-Nottingham via Newark & Grantham but can't remember where that fell.
Majority signed diversions via Corby, Stenson, Nuneaton-Whitacre Jn & Beighton as appropriate to link work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rich McLean

Established Member
AIUI most of the Bournemouth drivers don't ever go beyond Birmingham. Full crew changes often take place on XC at Reading, suggesting that might be the limit for some drivers from further north. Logically you'd expect the widest knowledge would be held by Birmingham crews, and less by those based at the extremities of the network.

Manchester crews only sign as far South as Reading. Certain Birmingham drivers do sign to Bournemouth, but I am sure I will be corrected if that's not the case. Not been at XC that long, and I sign as far down as Reading on that route, both via Solihull and Coventry.

Last edited:

NSE

Established Member
As an enthusiast looking in, I've found this stuff really interesting. As an aside, what depot would have the smallest route knowledge? I was thinking the c2c one, but then I suppose the island line roster would probably be the shortest? I'm assuming they don't operationally share duties with the SWT on mainland.

clagmonster

Established Member
As an aside, what depot would have the smallest route knowledge? I was thinking the c2c one, but then I suppose the island line roster would probably be the shortest? I'm assuming they don't operationally share duties with the SWT on mainland.
The drivers / guards (I believe the share duties) employed by Pre-Metro Operations at Stourbridge Jn.

NSE

Established Member
Wooopsie. Completely forgot about those. But I guess that would be pretty hard to beat. Isn't the branch just over or just under a mile? Including the little siding/depot thing they have would it even equal 3 or 4 miles?

craigybagel

Established Member
As an enthusiast looking in, I've found this stuff really interesting. As an aside, what depot would have the smallest route knowledge? I was thinking the c2c one, but then I suppose the island line roster would probably be the shortest? I'm assuming they don't operationally share duties with the SWT on mainland.

Island line crew are based on the island and only work there. At 8m29ch, their route card is only beaten by

The drivers / guards (I believe the share duties) employed by Pre-Metro Operations at Stourbridge Jn.

at 62ch!

After those two which some would argue are cheating, I do wonder what comes next in terms of smallest route card? I believe Harrogate only sign York-Harrogate-Leeds? In which case their 38m 64ch is going to be hard to beat.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Island line crew are based on the island and only work there. At 8m29ch, their route card is only beaten by

at 62ch!

After those two which some would argue are cheating, I do wonder what comes next in terms of smallest route card? I believe Harrogate only sign York-Harrogate-Leeds? In which case their 38m 64ch is going to be hard to beat.

Other small ones could be Heathrow Express and Glasgow Subway. Do Waterloo and City line drivers on LUL do anything else?

Leicester XC also has a limited route card: Birmingham and Nottingham via Derby and Loughboro and also Tyseley.

Tfl rail drivers only sign Liverpool Street to Shenfield as far as I know which is only 20 miles although their route knowledge will increase greatly once Crossrail comes in

Mintona

Established Member
I believe London Overground drivers at New Cross Gate sign 13 miles of route, from
Highbury & Islington to Clapham Jn plus West Croydon, New Cross and Crystal Palace.

Established Member
Tfl rail drivers only sign Liverpool Street to Shenfield as far as I know which is only 20 miles although their route knowledge will increase greatly once Crossrail comes in

Ilford MTR Drivers will see a dramatic increase in route knowledge when, on behalf of LOROL, they take on the Romford Upminster work from AGA later this year. That should see them up to about 24 miles, but Gidea Park and Shenfield drivers will remain on 20.

Come 2019 they will not only sign all Crossrail routes, but have three different signalling systems to cope with, so lots of learning ahead.

LowLevel

Established Member
Don't they sign Stanstead Airport ?

Nope - been constant rumours of heading east but not happened yet. They also sign Sheet Stores Junction (Trent) to Stenson Junction (Willington) via Castle Donington.

craigybagel

Established Member
Nope - been constant rumours of heading east but not happened yet. They also sign Sheet Stores Junction (Trent) to Stenson Junction (Willington) via Castle Donington.

The New Street Mafia strikes again.....

Dr Hoo

Established Member
The Lynton & Lynmouth funicular is unusual in that 'drivers' (strictly 'brakes persons') ride on the water-balanced cars. The line is 862 feet long.

I expect that some staff have yearned for a transfer to the wide open spaces of the Stourbridge Town branch. :)

craigybagel

Established Member
Wait...What?!

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that there was pressure from New Street depot to not let Leicester have any Stansted work? That was the impression given to me by other XC staff, (and indeed LM staff about a similar situation at their own company) but if I'm wide of the mark I do apologise, I know that there's stories like this probably doing the rounds at every depot!

Minilad

Established Member
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that there was pressure from New Street depot to not let Leicester have any Stansted work? That was the impression given to me by other XC staff, (and indeed LM staff about a similar situation at their own company) but if I'm wide of the mark I do apologise, I know that there's stories like this probably doing the rounds at every depot!

Nothing I have heard. Would be hard to see how such a small depot would have been able to take much extra work especially if you include all the route learning that would have needed to take place.
If anything New Street are the hard done by of XC. Losing work left right and centre. Not to mention the situation where other depots are allowed to come to Birmingham but we are not allowed to go to them. And a certain depot having work past Birmingham but we can't go past them.

Status
Not open for further replies.