• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most 'delayed' train you've seen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
I was at Shepherd's Bush yesterday morning heading to Olympia. On the PIS screen the 7:55 was listed as 'Delayed'. Not strange you say - except this was was 10:38 so it was delayed by a mere two and a bit hours!

Anyone seen similar (or worse)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I was waiting for the 2352 from Stockport a few weeks ago - the 1439 and 1639 Milford Haven services were still shown on the board! Both listed 'On Time' ;)

Romilly

Established Member
A couple of years ago, I was making a journey of about 2 hours 30 minutes which, instead of arriving at 2237 arrived at 0437, but at only 6 hours late was clearly not as badly delayed as those Milford Haven trains mentioned in #2.

talltim

Established Member
I suspect someone who has traveled on Amtrak will come along and beat you all...

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
A couple of years ago, I was making a journey of about 2 hours 30 minutes which, instead of arriving at 2237 arrived at 0437, but at only 6 hours late was clearly not as badly delayed as those Milford Haven trains mentioned in #2.

They weren't genuine delays :p

My record for a delayed train is only about 90 minutes. My record delayed journey is about 2 1/2 hours. Easily beaten.

Established Member
205 is my record. I was in first though:D
(Surely I get bonus points for the longest delay I've seen being the longest delay I've had?)

Also had a random announcement at Penrith apologizing for the 07:xx to London Euston via Brum being 13 hours and 43 mins late before'

Trainfan344

Established Member
Longest I've been delayed was 60 minutes.
Longest delay I've seen were some Cross Country trains running about 2 hours late through Derby

The Ham

Established Member
Surely the longest delay for any given service is one that is cancelled, i.e does not run until the next time that service is due to run (i.e. for most services 24 hours "late")?

Or is that no playing the game in the spirit it was meant?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Best I've seen is 590 minutes late, in Italy a few years back. The train did run!

cuccir

Established Member
On Monday I saw the 14:55 to Inverness leaving Newcastle at about 17:20...

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Not in the UK, but a friend once told me that the New York - Washington service once left three days late

168lover

My biggest delay when travelling on trains has been 144 minutes. It was last year on the Charity Railtours London to Crewe Railtour. Basically what happened was that the double headed 37s couldn't communicate together so the brakes couldn't be released. Eventually one of the 37s were dumped in Camden Sidings and the tour was completed with just one 37. The largest delay I have ever had on public transport was getting a ferry to Ireland last Christmas Eve. The ferry was supposed to leave Holy-head at 02:30am. It didn't leave until 09:30am because of high winds. Some 7 hours late :lol: Not the best nights sleep in a car waiting whilst 70mph winds batter against the car. We couldn't even board the boat because the issue was the boat couldn't dock.

matchmaker

Established Member
Not a train, but a friend of mine once spent 42 hours on the P&O Aberdeen-Lerwick ferry.

It should have taken 14 hours!

kevconnor

The largest delay I have ever had on public transport was getting a ferry to Ireland last Christmas Eve. The ferry was supposed to leave Holy-head at 02:30am. It didn't leave until 09:30am because of high winds. Some 7 hours late :lol: Not the best nights sleep in a car waiting whilst 70mph winds batter against the car. We couldn't even board the boat because the issue was the boat couldn't dock.

For a ferry service on the Irish sea 7 hours is rather tame, I have had delays of two or three days before now due to the weather. Even one where the boat was delayed for 24 hours due to not being able to dock in Holyhead due to a power cut.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
I got delayed for over 3 hours once. Considering it was my own train and my shift went from a cushy 7 hours to 10+ I was not amused!

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
My biggest delay when travelling on trains has been 144 minutes. It was last year on the Charity Railtours London to Crewe Railtour. Basically what happened was that the double headed 37s couldn't communicate together so the brakes couldn't be released. Eventually one of the 37s were dumped in Camden Sidings and the tour was completed with just one 37. The largest delay I have ever had on public transport was getting a ferry to Ireland last Christmas Eve. The ferry was supposed to leave Holy-head at 02:30am. It didn't leave until 09:30am because of high winds. Some 7 hours late :lol: Not the best nights sleep in a car waiting whilst 70mph winds batter against the car. We couldn't even board the boat because the issue was the boat couldn't dock.

I was also on that tour, although listerning to the noise that the single 37 produced up camden banks made up for the late running.
Sam

embers25

Established Member
I suspect someone who has traveled on Amtrak will come along and beat you all...

27 hours late on Amtrak Seattle to LA
19 hours late on Reno to Chicago
8 hours late Chicago-Indianapolis

But thats not that unusual for Amtrak so doesn't really count.

philjo

Established Member
I was about 3 hours late on the southbound Chieftain one time when the wires came down at Retford. we sat a Newcastle for some time then were diverted via Lincoln so had spent 11 hours on the HST from Inverness to Peterborough where I changed onto a 225 for Stevenage (arrived at SVG about 4 hours late)
I was on a EC 1st awards so hadn't paid for the trip.

We arrived home from Italy a day late in 2004. the Italian sleeper had problems during the night so we arrived very late at Milan and missed the morning TGV to Paris. the next one arrived in Paris at 11pm, too late for the last Eurostar so had to stay overnight in Paris (which trenitalia evantually refunded)

Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
A couple of times when there have been fatalities on the East Coast Mainline north of Newcastle there have been some trains that I have noticed that are over 3 hours late. Problem is if a train is more than an hour late it normally just terminates early if it can.

Established Member
I wasn't on it thankfully but wasn't there a Kings Cross to Aberdeen train in November or December last year that finally reached its destination around seven hours late about 6am? Power lines down or a landslip near Berwick maybe?

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I seem to recall at the end of last year when some trains were having trouble due to the weather, did not some trains get to newcastle from Edinburgh around 14 hours late?

Established Member
47271:2454919 said:
I wasn't on it thankfully but wasn't there a Kings Cross to Aberdeen train in November or December last year that finally reached its destination around seven hours late about 6am? Power lines down or a landslip near Berwick maybe?
yes there were many trains severely delayed that night! The Glasgow train, amongst others were over 5 hours late, but the Aberdeen was closer to 9. It was indeed wires down at Berwick.

We wont do the discussion about how a diesel train being delayed that long because of the wires being down is taking the P:D

scotsman

Established Member
Four and a half hours, after the wires fell on top of my train at Carstairs East. Eventually we were evacuated via a ScotRail 156 that nudged up as close as it could get, which took us round to the station. Had to get a cab back to Edinburgh, think I booked off about 5 hours early, though.

AJM580

Off the top of my head, the NENTA trips to Scotland in the early 90s seemed to always be classics for late running and failures. Mays 1991 trip to Kyle of Lochalsh got to Inverness 175 minutes late after 47806 failed on the Highland mainline. It was rescued by a combination of 47593 & 47604. The following years trip to Thurso saw 47850 fail on the return journey at Plumpton loop. 47367 rescued us and took us to Preston for 47841 forward. With a lot of engineering work as well we were 169 minutes late at Norwich having done a mystery tour via London including Upper Holloway Goods loop. The ultimate was the trip to Inverness in 1994. We were already nearly 3 hours late thanks to there being no crew at Edinburgh, when 47763 failed at Elgin. By the time 37099 showed up and towed the dead 47 to Inverness arriving 275 minutes late!!! Thankfully NENTA trips today are much more reliable. Haven't had a really big delay since 2009 when 47854 caught fire - that one terminated at Ely with us being about 139 minutes late

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
yes there were many trains severely delayed that night! The Glasgow train, amongst others were over 5 hours late, but the Aberdeen was closer to 9. It was indeed wires down at Berwick.

We wont do the discussion about how a diesel train being delayed that long because of the wires being down is taking the P:D

It was discussed here

rf_ioliver

Isn't there a story about one trans-Australia train (Adelaide-Perth) that stopped somewhere in the middle of nowhere. A lady passenger asked the guard when the train would leave because she was pregant and worried about the extended delay.

The guard answered that it was foolish to board such a train when she was pregnant, where upon she answered, "I wasn't pregant when I boarded"...

...Urban Myth, probably dating from early last century, but... :)

t.

Ian

AndrewE

Established Member
Very good... that should have been offered in the "Jokes" thread (or be copied there.)
Cheered up my winter's evening.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I've seen some East Coast and CrossCountry services running close to four hours late due to various problems such as overhead wire problems, signalling problems and broken down trains.

In terms of my own delays I was once stranded in the south of France due to SNCF going on strike. I was due to get a TGV to Paris but only one that day was running. It would have been too expensive to find a hotel in Paris so we stayed in Nice and got the only train running to Paris the next morning (which, understandably, was rammed). We then got a Eurostar back to London and then a train back to Cardiff. We were over a day late but luckily our hotel was covered by insurance!

In terms of delays here, on 17th December I was delayed by over two hours on a 150/1 at Filton Abbey Wood. The irritating thing was that I could have got off at Patchway had I known there were delays, and even more frustrating, the service half an hour earlier was on time, but mine arrived two hours late. I could even see Filton Abbey Wood from where we were sat. To say I was angry was an understatement!

Chew Chew

Was delayed for about 3 hours once travelling from Edinburgh to Warrington for work.

Was a bit naughty as work paid for my train ticket but I claimed the Delay Repay and kept it for myself. :oops::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.