• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most impressive stretch of line on the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Starting off with the Cumbrian coast line (Lancaster to Carilsie via Barrow-in-Furness) and its excellent views of the Lake District and out to sea.

Any other impressive stretches on the network?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Loads.
First to mention Dawlish and I claim my prize :)
Edinburgh to Aberdeen.
Stranraer line, maybe less obvious.

BTW, haven't we been here before?

Class800

Established Member
Agree with Edinburgh to Aberdeen but it's not all of it - mainly the areas around Montrose and then to coast to Stonehaven area surely. I'd also say the area around Alnmouth for Alnwick

MrEd

The western end of the Kyle line from Strathcarron to Kyle of Lochalsh, looking all along Loch Carron surrounded by the Wester Ross hills, past Plockton with its bonnie wee cottages and then looking out to sea, with the islands of Skye and Raasay in the distance, is nothing short of fantastic. At this time of year, with the hills all capped with snow and with frequent rainbows over the loch (the west coast weather changes every 15 minutes, especially in winter) it looks particularly impressive.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
An obvious one but worth a mention - the Settle & Carlisle, expecially the section between Horton in Ribblesdale and Dent.

CEN60

The western end of the Kyle line from Strathcarron to Kyle of Lochalsh, looking all along Loch Carron surrounded by the Wester Ross hills, past Plockton with its bonnie wee cottages and then looking out to sea, with the islands of Skye and Raasay in the distance, is nothing short of fantastic. At this time of year, with the hills all capped with snow and with frequent rainbows over the loch (the west coast weather changes every 15 minutes, especially in winter) it looks particularly impressive.

Seconded!

SlimJim1694

Not as dramatic as the others but I like the down run on the Southeastern mainline from London and the way the tunnels divide the scenery. London to Elmstead Woods tunnel you have terraced houses, flats, council estates, once through the tunnel you find yourself in leafy suburbia through Chislehurst, Petts Wood, Orpington and Chelsfield. After the short Chelsfield tunnel, deep cutting of Knockholt and the longer Polhill tunnel you suddenly find yourself in a different world - classic Kentish scenery, oasthouses, farmland etc. I love bursting out of Polhill tunnel on a sunny day. It's not the west highland line but there is something very ordered and pleasing about it.

Peter Bonner

Cumbrian coast line from Carnforth to Workington is one of my favourites. Closed at Parton I believe at the moment.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Entering Berwick from the south, entering Durham from the south. Lancaster to Carlisle, Settle to Carlisle, Barrow to Ravenglass, Lancaster to Barrow, Oxenholme to Windermere, Inverness to Kyle, Perth to Inverness

SeanG

Can’t argue with that to be fair. And then just further up the coast towards Burntisland is surprisingly nice.

Yes, the whole of Edinburgh to Aberdeen surprised me and I thought it was great.

I personally like the flow country on the way up to Thurso/Wick

Trainfan344

Established Member
Swindon to Stroud. Goes from being a dull and industrial town to running through the beautiful cotswolds.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Swansea - Carmarthen. An underated one I don't often seen mentioned but the coastal views are spectacular. Well worth a ride if you haven't been down that way.

VT 390

Established Member
Sheffield to Stockport, mainly the part between Chinley and Dore & Totley.

Parallel

Established Member
Machynlleth - Pwllheli
West Highland Line
St Ives Bay Line
The line between Exeter and Cornwall
Llandudno to Blaenau Ffestiniog (when it's actually open)

Status
Not open for further replies.