• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most number of liveries in the same train

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Long international routes on the continent used to have almost as many liveries as carriages, with multiple destinations served. It can still happen with sleepers on some routes - an overnight train I got from Zurich a couple of years ago had at least 3, possibly 4, different national liveries.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Doomotron

Southeastern a couple of years ago will count. A twelve coach train could have as many as four different liveries, with there being five to choose from.

Parallel

Established Member
A couple of years ago I saw GWR operate 3 x 153s on the Devon metro with differing liveries; one was Casper ‘white’ livery, one was GWR green and one was FGW plain blue.

Three liveries on the same train service has been fairly common on GWR up until a couple of years ago, on summer Weymouth runs you’d see 5 coach formations formed of GWR green, FGW local lines and FGW plain blue.

For a while it looked odd when units worked together and you got the same livery throughout!

strimmer

On 1st September 2001, 153308, 153312, 153370 and 153355, all in different liveries, worked the 09:15 Cardiff - Paignton. Shown here, passing Langstone Rock.NR0801.jpg

Deepgreen

Established Member
My shot's link attached. Tours often have a mixture of stock/liveries.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Late 1980s and you could potentially see rakes out of Paddington heading South West with BR blue, BG and IC liveried coaches hauled behind a NSE loco!

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
I'm not sure about any with 3 liveries, but there were some TPE 350s being transferred to LNWR recently that were in service with TPE just before leaving them with some carriages in TPE livery and some in LNWR.

Not unusual, TPE used LM 350’s coupled to TPE 350’s during the Commonwealth Games

fgwrich

Established Member
A couple of years ago I saw GWR operate 3 x 153s on the Devon metro with differing liveries; one was Casper ‘white’ livery, one was GWR green and one was FGW plain blue.

Three liveries on the same train service has been fairly common on GWR up until a couple of years ago, on summer Weymouth runs you’d see 5 coach formations formed of GWR green, FGW local lines and FGW plain blue.

For a while it looked odd when units worked together and you got the same livery throughout!

Come to think of it, The West Fleet also had a varied patch where you could find the Sprinters in an number of liveries too, all working FGW Services around 2010/2011:

London Midland 153 / FGW Local Lines
London Midland 153 / Local Lines 150 / Plain Blue 150
London Midland 153 / ATW 150 / Silverlink 150 - (had to be one of the strangest combinations of the all!)
ATW 150 / Silverlink 150
ATW / Local Lines
ATW / Plain Blue
Silverlink / Local Lines
Silverlink Plain Blue
Central Trains / ATW
Central Trains / London Midland
Central Trains / Local Lines
Central Trains / Plain Blue

Parallel

Established Member
On 1st September 2001, 153308, 153312, 153370 and 153355, all in different liveries, worked the 09:15 Cardiff - Paignton. Shown here, passing Langstone Rock.View attachment 77718

That's a great photo! I'm not a fan of orange trains normally but think the orange livery looks really good there! Is it a Wessex Trains promotional livery?

Come to think of it, The West Fleet also had a varied patch where you could find the Sprinters in an number of liveries too, all working FGW Services around 2010/2011:

London Midland 153 / FGW Local Lines
London Midland 153 / ATW 150 / Silverlink 150 - (had to be one of the strangest combinations of the all!)
ATW 150 / Silverlink 150
ATW / Local Lines
ATW / Plain Blue
Silverlink / Local Lines
Silverlink Plain Blue
Central Trains / ATW
Central Trains / London Midland
Central Trains / Local Lines
Central Trains / Plain Blue

Indeed, and they've also had quite a few advertising liveries over the years too

ANDREW_D_WEBB

This morning's Eastleigh - Wolverton move had five liveries:
37800 - Europhoenix
20311 & 20314 - Harry Needle Orange
442402 - 4 cars in South Western Railway, 1 in Gatwick Express
4 x Mk1 barriers - blue

Bringback309s

Did have a pic of a blue/grey, jaffa cake and NSE 309 combo - but can't find it! I used to love those! It was interesting that when the last 309's were refurbed they were released in NSE livery but with the LSE donkey strip moquette instead of NSE blue blaze

sciisfun

That's a great photo! I'm not a fan of orange trains normally but think the orange livery looks really good there! Is it a Wessex Trains promotional livery?
Black and gold was a Devon and Cornwall Promo, Orange was Heart of Wales to Shrewsbury, the grey/blue looks like an ex regional railways with a Wessex trains? sticker over the logo, and the red at the end was a Heart of wessex line Bristol to Weymouth

Status
Not open for further replies.